Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Microair 760 radio

Post Thanks / Like

Microair 760 radio

Looking for info;input on the Microair 760 radio? I am currently using a handheld, but I have my old Narco comm 11a, just havn't got around to installing it since I finished rebuilding. The Narco seems to work ok, just not real good range. Anyone have the Microair, & if so how do you like it? I'm tyring to keep things as simple as possible, but would like to have to get back to hard wired radio instead of the portable! Any suggestions guys? Whats best without finishing off the rest of my check book & credit card?

Maintaining at Flight Level Zero, requesting lower...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Val 760 www.chiefaircraft.com/Avionics/MfgSZ/Val.html or http://www.valavionics.com/ and I'm very happy with it...

Post Thanks / Like

microair

Cuby, would you recomend getting the prewired harness or is the installation relatively simple? Electronics aint my bag of tricks. Just wondering if it would be cheaper to get the harness or have to pay someone who knows what they're doin'?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: microair

Quote Originally Posted by david jaranson
    Cuby, would you recomend getting the prewired harness or is the installation relatively simple? Electronics aint my bag of tricks. Just wondering if it would be cheaper to get the harness or have to pay someone who knows what they're doin'?
    I'm not much of a "wire worm", so I'm for the prewired...

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine put a Microair 760 in his cub. It has a built in intercom but doesnt work in the cub because its to noisy. He had to send it back after 3 months because it died. If you do get one you would need a intercom to go with it. I got a KY97A and a PM1000 intercom that I bought and had it prewired. Thats the only way to go unless your good at wiring. All I had to do was hook up power, ground, and a wire for the light.

StewartB
    David,
    I went with the Becker 2 1/4" com, because it has 7 watt output. Microair has 4 watts. Aircraft Spruce or Chief Avionics, and probably any of the avionics shops in TAP, will prewire the harness for your airplane using your choice of com, intercom, etc. I believe you will still need an installation sign-off by an FCC licensed mechanic before it's legal to use.
    SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb
    I believe you will still need an installation sign-off by an FCC licensed mechanic before it's legal to use.
    SB
    VAL 760 is 8 watts output...

Just a 337 with a return to service by an IA (no FCC)...

Gatorcub
    I also have a VALCOM 760 and a VALCOM intercom. You must use a push to talk button for the intercom. (Not the radio push to talk) I used a couple of small switches from Radio Shack. One in the front, and one in the back. This stops the noise from keying up the intercom. It also has a switch that allows the backseat driver to key up the radio and not the front. Works great. Also, the VALCOM has a couple of extra input into the back of the radio. I wired these into a small connector, again Radio Shack, the same size as the plug for a radio or CD player. I have a small AM/FM radio that I can plug in. Again, works great. I would get the pre-wired harness. I got mine used, and asked VALCOM what it would cost to rebuild if needed, and if I remember right it was in the $300 range. (Call VALCOM they are nice people.)

PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go with the VAL760, while you are ordering it make sure you order an inline filter for the 12v+ lead as well and install as close to the radio as possible.

I haven't had an airplane through the shop yet with a VAL760 in it that didn't have a high pitched squeel or lots of noise to drive you nuts and this is all it takes to get rid of it.

Cheers,
    Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Val760 and I also have a lot of noise, everything I turn on adds to it! Can you give me a Part# for the filter?

Thanks for the info!

Tim

PS: I also get a lot of static on certain frequencies 123.0 is one of them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a copy of what I sent Cuby in a PM! Told you it was a common problem with the VAL!

I use to buy the "Lonewolf" from Aircraft Spruce and don't see it listed anymore (probably a good thing it was $60us, but it did work very well). It was a square tin can (capacitor) about 1.5" x 1.5" x .75". There is an Ameri-King Noise filter on page 371 of the 2001 ACS catalogue. Model #AK-959-FTR and ACS part # is 11-00182 shows cost of $15.45 Quite positive that it will do the exact same as the Lonewolf.

Just find a place to mount it as close to the radio as possible and it has to be attached to something that is grounded (or run a wire from it's mounting hole to ground). Just clip the 12V Pos lead and put a connector on each end of the clipped wire area and connect to each of the terminals on the filter (there is probably an in and out).

This is basically the same as the capacitor attached to the alternator (but not as heavy duty), but when installed right at the radio it usually cleans them up real nice!

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I will order one up!!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a Micro-Air 760 in the L18C I fly about 3 yrs ago. I haven't had any problems at all with it. I use the built in intercom which has a hot mic all the time. I adjusted the sidetone and turn thevolume down on my headset. It works OK. I would prefer a standard intercom but I fly by-myself most of the time. Saw Micro-Air at Sun&fun. They had the transponder their. Nice unit. They also have wiring harnesses pre-wired.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I have their Transponder and expect to install within the month!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    My friendly avionics engineer, also a Super Cub pilot, doesn't rate the Micro-air for reliability or quality and much prefers the Becker, although it's much more expensive. We were talking about this subject only yesterday!

http://www.becker-avionics.com/product/ar4201.htm

BCB

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard the same thing? I can't say cause my Microaire transponder is still in the box! My neighbor installed the com in his biplane, but I don't think he has more then 10 hours on it?

Time will tell I guess.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had no problems and was picking up airports 120 miles away coming back from S&F. Becker is nice but also pricey.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

I fly a MicroAir

I fly with a MicroAir in my Starduster and now an Ercoupe. Both being noisy environments and the former utilizing Microair's internal "intercom" wired for ptt intercom (a requirement in an open cockpit).

I can't say enough good things about the Microair 760. It has done nothing but impress and perform in both environments. It's stronger in reception and transmission than I can recall any of my KX170B's ever being and at $600, I cannot see why you would buy anything else (except maybe a VAL if you prefer to fit to a radio stack form factor).

Two thumbs up to the Microair!

- Rich