Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wayne - gurney flap attachment

Wayne - gurney flap attachment

Wayne, The long thread is causing my computer to crash when I try to open it, so that I have to CTL-ALT-DEL out, so I'm starting a new thread. Prior to covering your wings, I suggest installing permanent, flush #8 nutplates into the lower trailing edge of the wing (& flaps & ailerons). I'd offset the nutplates slightly from the trailing tip of the ribs. Then, after covering you can open up the screw holes and install the gurneys with countersunk #8 machine screws at about the same spacing as the rib spacing. This gives you an easy way to install, remove, or modify the gurney flap dimensions and makes it easy to return the plane to relatively stock condition. You can cover the front lip of the inverted gurney "L" with tape if you wish, in order to seal the front lip to the wing
    JimC

Post Thanks / Like

Gurneys.

Hi Jim. I have a set bent up to try. Should have some results in a week or so. Waiting on spark plugs at this time. Wayne, if you get to it before I do please let me know. Also finally have the aileron reflex ready to test also. Jerry. I agree with shorter pages for us modem types. Steve????

Jerry, how tall (downward extent) are your trial wickerbills? If they seem to be promising after tests, I'd suggest trying several different heights. If you have them on your ailerons too, you might consider several moderate speed taxi runs before first flight, to look for possible erratic control forces. Also, the attaching screws could be put in two offset staggered rows to give the 'flaps' more resistance to fore and aft twisting forces. I'm glad you guys are in front of me. I want to try a set on my 12, but don't think I'll be ready to fly for a month or so.

Also, my 12 is running a set of 8.50x6 tires (22.1" tall), with a small diameter tailwheel. Would a set of 26" Goodyears help my takeoff AOA enough to shorten my takeoff roll. In my local terrain, I don't need them to serve as tundra tires, as regular tires will handle our mud and sand adequately.

JimC

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim C. the 29" and the 6" extended gear made a 25% decrease in take off roll!

Post Thanks / Like

Jim C.

Hi Jim. I have a set of 1/2 and 3/4" bent up to try. As for gear, just make it tall and light. Jerry.