• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

260 Bearhawk

cubdrvr

SPONSOR
YKN(mother city of the dakotas)
Last issue of Sport Aviation has an article on the 260 Bearhawk. Has anyone seen this bird or have any other info about it. It sure looks good and the performance specs, as shown, don't say if that is with the 170hp or 260hp version. They list empty wt. as 1150 which seems too light for this 4 place with metal wings. I like how the baggage door opens the entire side. With a big prop, VG.s, and Bushwheels this could be a heck of an airplane.

2002 August/September issue of Northern Pilot
had an article on the Bearhawk.

Mark

I have a couple of friends, each building a Bearhawk. They are intended to be more like a Cessna 180. I doubt they will be as good as a 180 but alittle different. The earley light 180's are real performers. Bob Borrows is the designer and I think he was having a bad dream. Much too complicated, making it a huge project. Has lots of difficult to build time consuming subcomponents.

Forward visibility is like a 180, which is not the best when aiming to touch down on that little 5 foot target.

Don

I think Don D's yellow bushmaster type aircraft is a better airplane than the bearhawk Don , you should post some info on your ship even though this is the Super Cub board.

Cub junkie said:
I think Don D's yellow bushmaster type aircraft is a better airplane than the bearhawk Don , you should post some info on your ship even though this is the Super Cub board.

Ditto...

First of all I'm not going to claim my yellow airplane is better than anything. Also there is at least one other who frequents this forum who has a "bushmaster". Mine is an experimental that I constructed over a 4 year period for less than $20K. I had bought a converted Pa022-22 in the earley 90's. It set around in my hanger for several years until I decided to do something with it. I didn't have enough parts to consider rebuilding it back to a Pacer.

I Scratch built wings using beefed up Univair spar blanks and homemade aluminum ribs that I formed on a block. Then I built a bunch of other parts.

My airplane flew first in August 1997. I have nearly 500 hrs on it now. It weights 1194# empty. Gross weight is 2300#. It has 37' wingspan with extended flaps. Power is a IO-360 200hp. and has a Hartzell constant speed. Cruise speed is 120mph at 65% and 130mph at 75%.

Stol performance is close to a supercub with a similar load. It will get off at gross wieght in about 1/2 to 2/3 the distance of a Cessna 180 at gross weight.

The airplane handles and feels more like a Piper Pacer than a supercub. It just lands and takes off alot slower than the Pacer.

Thanks for the inquiry. I like to talk airplanes and flying. On occation I try the put things (some true and some not) on the forum just to spark some conversation.

Don d

First of all I'm not going to claim my yellow airplane is better than anything. Also there is at least one other who frequents this forum who has a "bushmaster". Mine is an experimental that I constructed over a 4 year period for less than $20K. I had bought a converted Pa022-22 in the earley 90's. It set around in my hanger for several years until I decided to do something with it. I didn't have enough parts to consider rebuilding it back to a Pacer.

I Scratch built wings using beefed up Univair spar blanks and homemade aluminum ribs that I formed on a block. Then I built a bunch of other parts.

My airplane flew first in August 1997. I have nearly 500 hrs on it now. It weights 1194# empty. Gross weight is 2300#. It has 37' wingspan with extended flaps. Power is a IO-360 200hp. and has a Hartzell constant speed. Cruise speed is 120mph at 65% and 130mph at 75%.

Stol performance is close to a supercub with a similar load. It will get off at gross wieght in about 1/2 to 2/3 the distance of a Cessna 180 at gross weight.

The airplane handles and feels more like a Piper Pacer than a supercub. It just lands and takes off alot slower than the Pacer.

Thanks for the inquiry. I like to talk airplanes and flying. On occation I try the put things (some true and some not) on the forum just to spark some conversation.

Don d

Back