• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Landing light location

Marc Olson

GONE WEST
Seattle, WA
My PA-12 has the landing/taxi lights in the right wing.

I notice most PA-18s have the lights in the left wing.

Any reason why they would be different (other than whoever added mine put them in the right wing)?

Marc, they're in the wrong wing, not the right one. Most cubs have them in the left wing, which is the right one. Whoever built your cub probably put the right wing on the wrong side......so you don't have the landing light in the right wing. Just fly upside down and you'll have it on the right side, viewed from the front. :drinking:
Brian

:lol: sorry Mark, couldn't resist, I don't know what difference it makes which wing they're located.

Marc: someone may have been thinking that if you need to add right rudder on take off maybe any weight added to the right side would be more advantageous than to load the wrong wing with the weight of the landing light assembly, wires etc. Mark, Tim ,Steve ---Whats your opinion?

Actually, I think with the landing light in the right wing turned on, and right rudder on take off, the returning electric current through the right main spar would create a flux capacitance sign wave which would alternately pulse flex the wings which would induce a vortex over the wings upper surface while simotaniously increasing the AOA in a positive, negative patern, creating a negetive field over the wings, and creating a positive, negative electric reaction between the main tires and the ground, which would therefore, obviously, launch the Cub in a vertical plane with the earth.

SuperCub MD said:
Actually, I think with the landing light in the right wing turned on, and right rudder on take off, the returning electric current through the right main spar would create a flux capacitance sign wave which would alternately pulse flex the wings which would induce a vortex over the wings upper surface while simotaniously increasing the AOA in a positive, negative patern, creating a negetive field over the wings, and creating a positive, negative electric reaction between the main tires and the ground, which would therefore, obviously, launch the Cub in a vertical plane with the earth.

Mark, take a pill...

Cuby, us good, wholesome, Midwest folks don't take pills...

HeHeHe...just checking to see if anyone is paying attention.

No wonder those landing lights always used to drain my battery before I got an alternator... now it is all so much clearer...

sj

Sorry, just a very feable attempt at humor. Seriously, the only reasons I can think that the lights are always put in the left wing is to keep parts compatable with other models (side by sides), where you would want the lights on the pilots side. Or possibly because the right, door side of the fuselage is usually a little heavier, and the lights in the left wing would off set this.

The ranchers in the Dakota's go to NAPA and mount a sealed beam on each forward gearleg. Really lights up the ground.

cubdrvr said:
The ranchers in the Dakota's go to NAPA and mount a sealed beam on each forward gearleg. Really lights up the ground.

I saw a SC last month with the stock lights in the leading edge, a light mounted on the LG cabane and a light at each strut/wing attach... Probably looks like an extremely slow UFO coming at you...

Actually when multi lights are used in this fashion it is for the purpose of orientating the magnetic compass with the desired heading? :eek: :drinking: :roll:

I got a field approval to install the light kit in both wings along with the pulse light system. Had to go into Addison,TX alot with all those jets and stuff. I deffinetely want them to see me.

I got a field approval to install the light kit in both wings along with the pulse light system. Had to go into Addison,TX alot with all those jets and stuff. I deffinetely want them to see me.

Is there an approved install for one landing/taxi light in each wing for better recognition? If so, any pictures? Been searching forums and haven't found it yet...

Piper cut a hole in leading edge without reinforcing it. So there’s you data ‘similar to the original hole in skin pn xxx’. I’d say minor these days.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I am sure that I could put the same stock set up in the right wing, what I am looking for is a single landing/taxi light in each wing.

Took the factory landing light housing, cut it in half and duplicated it for the right side. Install is same as the factory, just single light instead of two. Minor to me.
7077ac6c06bdcd7ea4dc04dc5c617723.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the minor, you left the nose rib and installed the light between it and the full rib didn't you Tom?

I second the minor, you left the nose rib and installed the light between it and the full rib didn't you Tom?

Yeah with the side pieces of the landing light box attached to the ribs like the factory did. Made new pieces to hold the landing light lenses on. Duplicated the factory box, just narrower. The leading edge skin is only the 3/4 wrap at that point on the wing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve could i get a copy of the field approva li got a cub going together and the owner wants the same thing jc

Back