Thread: Landing light location

Post Thanks / Like

Landing light location

My PA-12 has the landing/taxi lights in the right wing.

I notice most PA-18s have the lights in the left wing.

Any reason why they would be different (other than whoever added mine put them in the right wing)?

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marc, they're in the wrong wing, not the right one. Most cubs have them in the left wing, which is the right one. Whoever built your cub probably put the right wing on the wrong side......so you don't have the landing light in the right wing. Just fly upside down and you'll have it on the right side, viewed from the front.
    Brian

sorry Mark, couldn't resist, I don't know what difference it makes which wing they're located.

Post Thanks / Like

Landing light location

Marc: someone may have been thinking that if you need to add right rudder on take off maybe any weight added to the right side would be more advantageous than to load the wrong wing with the weight of the landing light assembly, wires etc. Mark, Tim ,Steve ---Whats your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I think with the landing light in the right wing turned on, and right rudder on take off, the returning electric current through the right main spar would create a flux capacitance sign wave which would alternately pulse flex the wings which would induce a vortex over the wings upper surface while simotaniously increasing the AOA in a positive, negative patern, creating a negetive field over the wings, and creating a positive, negative electric reaction between the main tires and the ground, which would therefore, obviously, launch the Cub in a vertical plane with the earth.

Maintaining at Flight Level Zero, requesting lower...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub MD
    Actually, I think with the landing light in the right wing turned on, and right rudder on take off, the returning electric current through the right main spar would create a flux capacitance sign wave which would alternately pulse flex the wings which would induce a vortex over the wings upper surface while simotaniously increasing the AOA in a positive, negative patern, creating a negetive field over the wings, and creating a positive, negative electric reaction between the main tires and the ground, which would therefore, obviously, launch the Cub in a vertical plane with the earth.
    Mark, take a pill...

Post Thanks / Like
    Cuby, us good, wholesome, Midwest folks don't take pills...

HeHeHe...just checking to see if anyone is paying attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    No wonder those landing lights always used to drain my battery before I got an alternator... now it is all so much clearer...

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you ok Mark? Wanna talk about it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, just a very feable attempt at humor. Seriously, the only reasons I can think that the lights are always put in the left wing is to keep parts compatable with other models (side by sides), where you would want the lights on the pilots side. Or possibly because the right, door side of the fuselage is usually a little heavier, and the lights in the left wing would off set this.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ranchers in the Dakota's go to NAPA and mount a sealed beam on each forward gearleg. Really lights up the ground.

Maintaining at Flight Level Zero, requesting lower...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdrvr
    The ranchers in the Dakota's go to NAPA and mount a sealed beam on each forward gearleg. Really lights up the ground.
    I saw a SC last month with the stock lights in the leading edge, a light mounted on the LG cabane and a light at each strut/wing attach... Probably looks like an extremely slow UFO coming at you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually when multi lights are used in this fashion it is for the purpose of orientating the magnetic compass with the desired heading?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a field approval to install the light kit in both wings along with the pulse light system. Had to go into Addison,TX alot with all those jets and stuff. I deffinetely want them to see me.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Beaverpilot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I got a field approval to install the light kit in both wings along with the pulse light system. Had to go into Addison,TX alot with all those jets and stuff. I deffinetely want them to see me.
    Is there an approved install for one landing/taxi light in each wing for better recognition? If so, any pictures? Been searching forums and haven't found it yet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just call me Al View Post
    Is there an approved install for one landing/taxi light in each wing for better recognition? If so, any pictures? Been searching forums and haven't found it yet...
    Duplicated factory install in right wing. Sounds minor to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's called a parts book.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Duplicated factory install in right wing. Sounds minor to me.

I am sure that I could put the same stock set up in the right wing, what I am looking for is a single landing/taxi light in each wing.

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Piper cut a hole in leading edge without reinforcing it. So there’s you data ‘similar to the original hole in skin pn xxx’. I’d say minor these days.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just call me Al View Post
    I am sure that I could put the same stock set up in the right wing, what I am looking for is a single landing/taxi light in each wing.
    Took the factory landing light housing, cut it in half and duplicated it for the right side. Install is same as the factory, just single light instead of two. Minor to me.

Thanks Just call me Al thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the minor, you left the nose rib and installed the light between it and the full rib didn't you Tom?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the minor, you left the nose rib and installed the light between it and the full rib didn't you Tom?
    Yeah with the side pieces of the landing light box attached to the ribs like the factory did. Made new pieces to hold the landing light lenses on. Duplicated the factory box, just narrower. The leading edge skin is only the 3/4 wrap at that point on the wing too.

Likes Steve Pierce, N929DW liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    steve could i get a copy of the field approva li got a cub going together and the owner wants the same thing jc
    Thanks Skykingfm thanked for this post