• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

12 and 18 plans

Eddie Pogue

Dayton, Ohio
I have noticed a lot of builders are looking for plans for the 12 and 18. I ran across a add in one of my magazines for plans and E-Mailed for more info. The plans are suppose to be original piper prints and in good readable condition. The person's name is Jack Evans of Sidney B.C. The price is around $300.00 which i think is fair if they are good prints. Has any one used his prints? If anyone wants his E-Mail address send me a PM and I will forward it to you.
Eddie

Hey Eddie!

Northland just released their new PA18 Drawings CD with much better prints!

If you want to see them I'll be out at the airport (40I) on Sunday (We're having a Chilli Cook-off).

Stop by and I'll show them to you. These may be what you're looking for!

What about you Rick P. or Anne or Craig???? Everyone else is invited!

Stop on down!

Some one at the airport needs to look out acu window for the weather. Remember the last chile dinner? 0 visibility and cold, but I will be there anyway.
I have Northlands cd, but I believe its the old version, maybe I will get a new as well. We blew one of the fuselage drawings up on a pen plotter and it turned out nice, but took forever to print.
See you Sunday.
Eddie

Get the Northland CD for $39 and you will get all the PA18 prints that Jack sells for the $300 plus about a 1000 more. Jack just sells a few fuselage prints, all of which are on the Northland CD and in better quality.

Bent
There isn't any PA 12 drawings on the Northland cd, however Jack Evans claims to have prints of the 12. I'll send you the info I have .

Eddie

Jack only has a few prints for the 12. You could get all that Jack has from the Cub Club for a lot less $. Plus Jack does not have any wing prints that I know of, Cub Club does (PA-14 Wing)

2 questions, anyone know where I can get a print showing tubing sizes for a PA-12? I do not see a listing in the Cub Club info. Also the 1" tube in the belly of a 12 that runs diagonally back to the center from the cluster that the rear of the landing gear attaches to (whew), is that .049? Thanks Jim

Jim, I don't know where to get drawings, but because I am working on a PA12 in that area right now, and from my notes, I know all the diagonal 1" tubes in that area are .049. The 1 1/4" tube on the bottom of the truss is .058. The forward belly 5/8" tubes are .035. The baggage area 3/4" and 5/8" are .035. Everything from there back is .028. Lower longerons are 3/4" .035 full length with .035 liners at the forward gear and tail wheel mounts.

I think this covers all the belly tubes. If you need any specific tube info anywhere on the PA12, ask, I have it all somewhere, I'll just have to dig it up.

When making repairs to any of these tubes and complete replacement is not necessary, if a liner and/or overlay method is used by what standard is the repair tube selected? As an example my diagonal has a nice round 1/8" hole in it, midway of the tube on the bottom. Conveniently 1&1/8" .049 has an ID of 1.027". When a patch is prepared I assume this size will massage to fit OK. The 3/4" & 5/8" size tubes needing repair do not have tubing of so close an ID at the same wall thickness. Is every repair section "massage to fit"? I realize replacement is best but is sometimes overkill. In regard to the liners at the tail, are these turned to fit in a lathe from heavy wall or how do you come up with them? Jim

I have a tubing print for the PA-12/14. I will see if I can scan it and post it. I'm not a big fan of patching (Micky Mouse) any tubing in a fuselage, just cut out the tube and replace it. The longeron inner liners start out as 11/16 .063 (hard to find but Northland has it and Earl can make them) and are turned down on a lathe .020 to come out at .043. Eleven inches long for the bottom longerons and seven inches on the tops, right at the tail post. Crash

Patches are usually made one thickness size up from original. Internal sleeves need to end up being the same wall thickness as the original tube or thicker, with a max diameter diference (fit) of 1/16" in the original tube.

That diagonal with the hole in it is probably from internal corrosion? Concider it the tip of the ice berg, and replace the entire tube. Patches are best left for a quick fix to repair dents and bullet holes.

Back