Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Exhaust upgrade

Post Thanks / Like
    Alaska is probably alot like Montana in that service is really more important than the initial purchase. I'm running the LEE exhaust and it is not doing what it was advertised to do. (eliminate the AD) At the first inspection with less than 100 hr on the new LEE exhaust we found cracks in the Muffler after several calls to LEE I just welded it up and continued to use it. But now I know what it means to say " let the buyer beware"

Post Thanks / Like
    The big question is, does the LEE exhaust system get you in shorter or out shorter to be worth $3,200.00? Does it add a safety margin to the performance or let you push it further. He is still advertising that his PA-18 exhaust system gets you around the AD by means of "alternate compliance", is this correct? Go to www.wemakeyoufly.com click on PA-18 exhaust and scroll to the bottom of the page. Hmm...Crash

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    I have at long last completed the instalation of my PPI exhaust. The installation of the new PPI exhaust, lightweight alternator and starter, plus new instruments I have reduced the weight of my cub by 30.5 pounds over a stock system. I had standered exhaust, starter and generator on my plane. One thing I did notice when removing my old exhaust there was some wear on my engine mount that needed repair this was caused from the stock exhaust rubing on my mount.

The installation was pretty easy eveything fit well and the PPI system looks well made. This exhaust gives me lots of room infront of the firewall and I sure like that. I flew the plane for the first time since the installation yesterday for a short trip. I will have to say my engine noise has increased, the engine sounds better like someone put a high performance cam in it. I can't tell you much about performance at this point other then my plane is 30 pounds lighter. I have not been able to put many hours on my plane but I do believe I am going to be happy with the exhaust system.

Cub_Driver

P.S. I like the heater.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI: I just took my Leading Edge exhaust off to check for cracks and wear. I have flown it about 300 hours and can report that the exhaust system is free of any cracks or maintenance issues. I am going to put it back on and check it again in 300 or so hours. By the way it is almost comical how easy it is to take on and off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this old thread while on telephone hold. Looks like the best information I could find.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Will have hard numbers on the Sutton vs. straight pipes later but it looks like about an 8-9 hp lose between straight pipes and the Sutton exhaust.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	3914 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	3915

There are some numbers from the Lee's exhaust vs. these same straight pipes that I will find and post.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Will have hard numbers on the Sutton vs. straight pipes later but it looks like about an 8-9 hp lose between straight pipes and the Sutton exhaust.

Name:	photo (1).JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	3914 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	3915

There are some numbers from the Lee's exhaust vs. these same straight pipes that I will find and post.
    Straight pipes = stock?

Post Thanks / Like
    In the other thread I mentioned that LEE had data to support their claim of higher hp. In fact LEE is the only outfit to publish any dyno data on this subject that I know of so the data seems impressive to me.
    Here are two charts. The first compares the LEE system to straight pipes. The second chart compares straight pipes to the Sutton System and the original Piper system. Looks very impressive to me.

Name:	LEE vs Straight Pipe on an 0-360.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	3916

Name:	St Pipe vs Sutton and Original Sys.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	3917

Post Thanks / Like
    So where did this data come from? Did it come from ground loop?

Sutton never advertised a hp increase, the system was designed to go with their constant speed prop STC. I have seen a slight rpm increase when replacing stock. The big benifit to me is simplicity, weight and nothing against the firewall.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    The charts are on the LEE web site.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder why they tested it on an AEIO-360-B1F?

Here is a thread of a group buy on ShortWingPipers.org I think they are still waiting on delivery.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...hlight=exhaust
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone use an Atlee's hot rod muffler on an 0235, legally? I am trying for a field approval and the inspector needs something to help him feel warm and fuzzy about it. I have talked to Steve at Atlee's, any help? Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    All the Clippers, Pacers, Tri-Pacers and Colts used the same muffler, O-235, O-290, O-320 150 and 160 hp.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone got a vetterman exhaust on a supercub.Would appreciate reports,especially on the fitting.Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just orderd a Vetterman Exhaust system for my Aero Sport Power 0320 B2B , I decided to go with the dual cross over system with Mufflers for the best cabin heat possible, Clint at Vetterman said that the Horse power loss with the duel mufflers verses the strait pipes is next to none, about 1% loss, a good heat system is important to me and for the slight loss of power, why not stay warm?

Rick

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a set last year (on recommendation from Bart) and picked up 200RPM (no mufflers, and 2 heat muffs). The heat muffs are only 8" long so you'll want one each for cabin & carb heat. The fit & workmanship are top notch, you just have to cut 1" off the crossover pipes to fit an 0320. Mine was designed for a Rans, but worked out fine on the '18 (bending the lower cowl vents a bit). Now they have one made for the PA18.

Besides the better prop spin, the pipes cross over in FRONT of the oil pan, keeping that heat/noise away from the firewall. Fit/finish? Perfect!
    Clint... keep sending the checks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good,any chance of posting a few photos of installation

Post Thanks / Like
    Logan,
    how do you Like your Heat system with only the Muffs? do you have to dress accoringly because of lack of heat? after talking to Clint at Vettermans I decided to go with the Duel Muffler system for more heat, according to Clint the power loss is next to none with the mufflers and the heat gains are substantial. Does any one else have the duel Muffler system from Vettermans Exhaust?
    Opinions please...........
    Last edited by rotto789; 10-26-2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: spelling as usual

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heat is sufficient, not excessive.
    When I fly in the cold I'm dressed for the cold (not uncomfy), but I can feel the heat just fine. RPMs drop 75-100 when carb heat applied, depending on the temp outside. Again, not excessive, but sufficient.

Here is how I routed the exhaust. It would exit through the lower cowl vents, but the angle @ the ball joint was tight (only 1/4" overlap on top).

Name:	Vett exh. route.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	392.4 KB 
ID:	4059

Here is the 8" heat muff. I wrapped the pipe inside the muff (tightly) with SS wire to increase the surface area a bit.

Name:	Vett.heat muff.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	4060