• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental or Certified

Nathan K. Hammond

Danville, KY DVK
I?ve been pondering a question for some time now and hopefully someone can give a little insight. With all the mods out there (VG?s, 180hp, gear flap and aileron extensions, etc?) would it be cheaper and/or easier down the road to license the plane as Experimental rather than having it Certified. Any Pros Cons and other philosophies???

My opinion, you can buy every cub part needed to build the perfect cub for yourself and maybe dodge some paper work.

Nato

Experimental or certified

This subject has been covered here before but for my two cents here goes. I think if it is YOUR PERSONAL AIRCRAFT and you don't want to use it for hire the experimental is the way to go. Now if you have the time, skills and a place to do the work then it is a pretty easy choice to make. A person can buy or build as much of a supercub as you want but that doesn't mean that it will any more or less expensive (than purchasing an aircraft and rebuilding to your standards with what ever mods you like). The plus side with an experimental is when you are done you can do your own maintenance and you have alot less hassle with mods. Down side is that you will assume the liability in the future if you sell it. My own personal decision for my own aircraft is experimental even though I'm an AP/IA. If you are not good with big projects save yourself the time and money and just buy certified ( One that is all ready flying ) burn some gas and have ball flying.

Matt

A second consideration would be: do you want to sell the aircraft you spent so much time and money on for $35000.00 or $60000.00 when you decide to own something else. That seems to be about the difference or more for resaleable experimental compared to certified. (if not more)

Back