• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What isit and howz it fly?

WIflier

Janesville, WI
Crash can you or some one else give a little insight into what appears to be a T-craft based at Birchwood? :roll:
DCP179.jpg

DCP180.jpg

DCP181.jpg

DCP182.jpg

AWW,
C'mon guys! lets be nice now....looks like the poor guy ran into a grove of small Poplar trees! And it appears he got pretty lucky, although you'd think he'd fix the wings after an accident like that....:)
No tellin....but it sure looks weird anyway,
Andy

Here's the story I heard. The owner is an older gentleman who noticed that the fins of whales didn't have smooth, straight leading edges. He figured there must be a good reason, and it may be an advantage on an airplane as well, so he fashioned the bumps from foam and mounted them on the wing. The story comes from my mechanic whose hangar is at Birchwood. He says the plane actually flies, but only about once a year. The local mechanics watch to see if he'll fall out of the sky, but so far, it's made it home.
SB

It's the latest thing.................."VORTEX ALTERNATORS"..........much better then the ole vortex generators.
Brian

Wilbur and Orville tried it , but they decided the Wright Flyer might perform better!!! Give this guy credit for experimenting. Rick

You should see the look on peoples faces when you offer to take them flying and park the car in front of that gem!!!

That there is the "el Buteo." I parked next to it for a summer. The owner is a nature fanatic where it comes to whales and eagles. Apparantly he knows every nest in South Central Ak.

As for the whales, this is where it gets interesting. The leading edge is reproduced from the leading edge of the pectoral fins of the whale. Theoretically to generate lift. The plastic eastereggs on the fuselage depict barnacles on the whale body. I havent learned what the fur and cardboard on the wings is supposed to do.

The reverse droop tips are also a nod to the pectoral fins. Did anyone notice the leading edge protrusions are not symetrical wing to wing?

WHO KNOWS?

I was reading a article just this year about a new scientific study done on whales. They also found the weird bumps on the body,nose and fins odd. After alot of testing, they found the whales were able to slip through the water easier. There findings may lead to new airplane design ect. they claim. Funny how some guys like this seem so out of place, but maybe he started something ahead of time ? Hope not

Plane

I've looked at this plane for years and just shake my head. It is a different kind of bird. Crash

Hmmmmm....

He installed the wings off of a surplus Inflaplane.

He is trying to interrupt the boundary layer of air that causes most parasitic drag. Good luck on his design.

Mike

skukum12 said:
The leading edge is reproduced from the leading edge of the pectoral fins of the whale. Theoretically to generate lift.

Personally, I don't ever remember seeeing a whale that flew too good---- wait a minute, come to think of it, I don't even remember seeing an whale.

Made the pilgrimage today with Paul. I am truely at a loss for words.

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

Not planes...but similar thinking...

Whales inspire better blade designs

The bumps on a humpback's fins inspire a new line of green-tech blades for turbines, fans, and maybe the home.
By Patti Lane | Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor
from the May 15, 2008 edition

Correspondent Patti Lane discusses how a humpback whale's anatomy helped a scientist design an energy-efficient industrial fan.
Toronto - When biologist Frank Fish spied a figurine of a humpback whale in a Boston gift shop and noticed the pointy bumps along its fins, he said, "That has to be wrong."
But when the shop manager produced a photograph that showed the leading edge of the long fins was indeed serrated like the teeth on a saw, Dr. Fish was intrigued and decided to investigate.
He discovered that these bumps, called tubercles, are this creature's secret weapon, allowing a whale the size of a school bus to make tight turns and capture prey with astonishing agility.
Fish, a biology professor at West Chester University of Pennsylvania, is now using this technology perfected by nature to produce fans with serrated blades that use 20 percent less electricity than traditional models. This finding contradicts conventional designs that strive for the smoothest possible edges.
To understand this phenomenon, imagine airplane wings. Pilots increase the angle of the airfoil to provide more lift. But when the angle gets too steep, the air current drags on the wing, suddenly reducing the lift and causing the aircraft to stall.
Fish found that humpback fins act a little differently. He and his colleagues tested a scale model of the whale flipper in a wind tunnel. To their surprise, the experiments revealed that significant drag occurs at a much steeper angle on the humpback fin than it does on a sleek flipper. Each tubercle redirects and channels air over the flipp
er, creating a sort of whirling vortex that actually improves lift, Fish says.
Calling it "simple aerohydrodynamics," he explains that "we can get a higher angle with a higher lift force," giving the humpbacks more power and maneuverability than smooth-finned whales.
"These bumps were thought of as anatomical anomalies, but they do modify the flow and they do it in ways that are beneficial to the whale," says Fish.
The technology can be used in a huge range of machines such as turbines, compressors, pumps, and fans that use blades or rotors – most anything that cuts through air, water, steam or oil, says Fish.
"This can be applied to any lifting surface, like airplane wings or windmill blades or sailboat masts," he says.
The US Naval Academy participated with Fish in one study and is interested in possible applications for ship and submarine rudders.
Fish teamed up with a Canadian businessman to form WhalePower, a Toronto-based company that markets the technology. Envira-North Systems, Canada's largest supplier of industrial ceiling fans, with 75 percent of the market, recently licensed the design for a new line of fans that measure up to 24 feet in diameter.
"There was a 20 percent drop in energy use, a significant drop in noise decibels, and overall distribution of air was more even," says Envira-North CEO Monica Bowden. The increased efficiency also means the new fans will have five blades instead of 10, making them cheaper to manufacture.
Envira-North expects to start shipping in October and phase out production of conventional fans. The company is fielding calls from potential customers in Britain, China, Saudi Arabia, and Brazil – all new markets for Envira-North.
"Everybody is interested in green technology right now," says Ms. Bowden.
WhalePower cofounder Stephen Dewar says that while the 1-½-year-old company hasn't issued a single press release, they've already been contacted by companies around the world – from computer manufacturers interested in putting tiny fans inside laptops to companies with immense server farms looking for cheaper cooling options.
"We expect quite a wide range of fans to hit the market within a year," says Mr. Dewar. We may even see humpback-inspired fans in our own homes one day.
The company is also developing wind turbines that produce more energy and are quieter than standard turbines.
Last year, WhalePower mounted a wind turbine with its patented serrated blades stretching 33 feet across at the Wind Energy Institute of Canada's testing site on Prince Edward Island on the Atlantic coast.
Final results won't be released until year end, but Fish says, "We can actually get more power out of the wind.

Old Guys RULE...Dont forget that!

Plane belongs to an old and dear friend...and I get in it and go anyday...
Vern, or "Birdman" has flown and built more weird planes than the airforce
and before rutan ever thought of canards and such... Yes he's a very-very
interesting follow. But truely if you could see some of his designs and the things he has flown. At first I too thought he might be a little oh how do you say? Nutts! But for from it...... He has a wealth of information on so many things he's a walking encyopidia. Love falcons, hawks and yes whales. Knows the history of Knik Glacier, and watershed area better than anyone I know. He flys out to my place once in a while, I have started to worry about him these past few years, but he's holding his own thus so far. Granted you'll never see another plane like it anywhere !

I will try and get some pics of other ones he had built, I think you guys will get a kick out of them as well.

p

What isit and howz it fly

I saw this plane when I as up in 2005, wondered at the time if it would even fly? Shows what I know!!
Hope your old friend as many more years and planes in him!
Also hope you post some picts. of his other planes.
DW

I stumbled across these today... from about '97... seems it had MORE of those "whatevers" on it at that time...
I'd still like to know how it flies. And, it doesn't look Tcraft to me...as was stated above... and I really can't put my finger on just what it is...
John

IMG.jpg

IMG_0002-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm, think in the future, I might not be so disappointed in the asymmetry of my cowling, and the less than perfect paint. I'll bet this pilot, has more fun than you are supposed to with an airplane. I am surprised that some safety for all official, hasn't taken it upon himself, to protect us from ourselves.

Look closely. The leading edge is not symetrical wing to wing. Especially the blisters near each wing tip.

Thanks Mike... that sorta makes sense now... L2 ? Did he say how it flew???

my stepfather and him we talking, seems they knew each other forever... but it was a strange conversation, two almost deaf guys....

he said of his model planes he just keeps trying things till it wont fly no more

but have watched him fly that thing for a couple decades... not sure if he flies anymore, quite old now....

The "El Buteo" is for sale. I saw it on Anchorage Craigslist today. Start an "innovative aircraft" museum anyone?

Back