• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Good book for those who have time to read

Just a small clarification on "Bush Pilots of Alaska". Kim Heacox wrote the text , but Fred Hirschmann took all of the pictures (and it's mostly pictures). It is as, SB says, a good book for daydreaming. I've thumbed through my copy so many times that the pages are starting to fall out. The sad thing, is that a number of the folks pictured in the book are no longer with us.

Didn't Fred Hirschmann take the picture of the Beaver with all the stuff tied onto it, the one about a Texan's overnight fishing trip? There's some discussion at work if that is a real picture, or a computer-type mock-up. Anybody know if it's for real or not?

Anne.

Anne,
I don't know the specific picture you're referring to, but some of his pictures have been doctored for fun. I had a calender a couple of years ago that showed 12 such pictures, including a Super Cub with monster truck tires. I laminated that one and hung it on my office wall. You'd be surprised how many people I've convinced that it's real. They make 31's look puny!
SB

Anne,

Fred's picture of the Beaver was off one of his calendars. Even though the FAA is a little more lenient up here on external loads, that one is a little over the top. The photo was taken while on the ground, and enhanced with a background. SB -The cub with tractor tires is off of his 1995 calendar (I've got that one too). Even Tim would be satisfied with tires that size, the tailwheel looks like a 29" Gar aero.

Yeah there are some excellent books here. I personally loved Sainsbury's Rocks and Wings. And in answer to the question raised earlier, he did pass away back in the early nineties. I also highly recommend Jim Magoffin's book "Triumph over Turbulence" Magoffin was (is) an excellent pilot who founded Interior Airways (forerunner to Markair) and flew a lot of the famous World War II warbirds. Excellent book on Alaska, hunting and of course FLYING
Bill

Where do you get Hirschman's calendars? I've never seen them around here.

I really enjoyed Triumph Over Turbulence - I met Jim Magoffin at Oshkosh and bought his book, then when I was at Univ of Alaska-Fairbanks the next year, there he was, selling his book! He's the only bush pilot I've met, so to me, that was exciting. I guess most of you guys think that's pretty funny, but I've met Al Kaline too, at Detroit Metro airport. You just never know who you're going to bump into at baggage claim.

Anne.

good reading?

I haven't read these books myself....but these excerpts sound pretty good.......Randy

night flight to Benghazi

In the air. Two hours of sunlight left. I've already put down my sunglasses as we approach Tripolis. The sand is taking on a golden shine. My God, this planet is desolate! Once more it seems to me that the rivers, the green cool shadows and the homes of people only exist by grace of a happy conjunction of circumstances. What space these rocks and sand take up!
The whole landscape below is as yet bathed in a pale light, but is fading just the same, bit by bit. I know nothing, truly nothing, that can compare to this hour. Those that have felt the strange love for flying will understand.
I slowly withdraw from the sunlight. I leave behind the large golden fields that could have offered me shelter if the aircraft would fail me. I go into the night. I push on. Only the stars can guide me now.

Antoine de saint-Exupéry, Terre des hommes (Wind, sand and stars) (1939)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pass to the South Pole

Soon the Queen Maud Mountains loom ahead, ranked in stately file against the horizon; here and there the brilliant blue flash of glacial ice lights dark gaps in the range. It is a land of a million years ago, right out of the ice age.
Ahead lies the big decision. One approach to the Pole is over the Axel Heiberg Glacier, the pass which Amundsen chose. Its summit is hidden in clouds. The other approach is over the Liv Glacier to its right, named by Amundsen for Dr. Nansen's daughter, and completely unsurveyed. The summit is clear; we decide to swing right.
The Liv Glacier is like a great frozen waterfall, halted in the midst of its tumbling cascade and immobilized for all eternity. Sheer cliffs rise above us on either side, and the canyon narrows as we wind our way upward. A cataract of ice looms ahead, and there is no room to turn around now. We are at 8,200 ft, just about the Ford's ceiling with its present loading. I wave frantically to catch the attention of Harold June, who is bent over his radio, and point to the emergency food. He kicks one of the 150-pound sacks through the trapdoor, and the plane lifts just enough to clear the barrier.

A final icy wall blocks our way, steeper than all the others. A torrent of air is pouring over its top, the plane bucking violently in the downdraft, and our rate of climb is zero. June jettisons the second sack, and the Ford staggers a little higher, but still not enough. There is only one thing left to try. Perhaps at the very edge of the downdraft is a reverse current of air, like a back-eddy along the bank of a rushing river.
I inch my way to the side of the canyon, our right wing almost scraping the cliff, and all at once we are wrenched upward, shooting out of the maelstrom of winds, and soar over the summit with a couple of hundred feet to spare.

Bernt Balchen, Come north with me (1959)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the third dimension

To fly! to live as airmen live! Like them to ride the skyways from horizon to horizon, across rivers and forests! To free oneself from the petty disputes of everyday life, to be active, to feel the blood renewed in one's vein ? ah! that is life... Life is finer and simpler. My will is freer. I appreciate everything more, sunlight and shade, work and my friends. The sky is vast. I breathe deep gulps of the fine clear air of the heights. I feel myself to have achieved a higher state of physical strength and a clearer brain. I am living in the third dimension!

Henri Mignoèt, Le Sport de l'Air (1934)

slow-motion pictures

Just a casual trip from New York to Washington. I could sit quite still and let the roar of the engine cover me like music. The vibration hummed in the soles of my feet, and was satisfying as a hearth fire or rain on the roof. Contented, I could look down at that calm clear world below.
A new world too, it was, for I had not flown in many months and the objects below me wore the freshly painted vividness of things seen for the first time. They passed, bright and irrelevant images, slowly under the still suspended wheel of our plane. The images that attracted me were unrelated and scattered, not strung along one thread by a road. (The pencil-marked shadows of telegraph poles. The neatly combed fields. Docks and piers and bridges, flat slabs laid on the edge of a mirror. Cities, sudden flashes from an apartment window or a moving car, like a bright speck of glass in a road, sparkling far beyond its worth. How slowly those little cars crawl along the narrow ribbon paths!)

And looking down on those little houses, those little paths, the narrow lines of black beetles, the anthill traffic of cars, one sat back and wondered, 'Why? What do we do this for? Why isn't life simple and still and quiet? Was I really there yesterday? What was I doing?'

One could sit still and look at life from the air; that was it. And I was conscious again of the fundamental magic of flying, a miracle that has nothing to do with any of its practical purposes - speed, accessibility, and convenience - and will not change as they change. Looking down from the air that morning, I felt that stillness rested like a light over the earth. What motion there was took on a slow grace, like slow-motion pictures which catch the moment of outstretched beauty that one cannot see in life itself, so swiftly does it move.
And if flying, like a glass-bottomed bucket, can give you that vision, that seeing eye, which peers down to the still world below the choppy waves - it will always remain magic.

Anne Morrow Lindbergh, North to the orient (1935)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anne,

I'll trade you two bush pilot autographs for a single Al Kaline. Heck, I'd even throw in a well known A&P/AI autograph for free. I might consider trading an Atlee Dodge or a Dan Hollingsworth for a Barry Sanders autograph too.

I haven't seen any of Fred Hirschmann's calendars since around 1996. The last one I got, I bought from Fred at an airshow at Merrill field around '96. Anybody seen Fred around the last few years?

Once in a while the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum sells calendars and aviation related books in their bookshop. This year the calendar was a collection of Alaska bush plane watercolors painted by Gloria Nehf. www.alaska-aviation.com Lots of nice images of PA-18s, 12s, J-3s, C-170,180,Beaver and Widgeon. Definitely worth a look.

Just finished a quick reading, funny book titled "Alaska's Sky Follies" The Funny Side of Flying in the Far North" by Joe Rychetnik.
This book had my wife asking me what I was laughing aloud about many times!
Some of ya probably know many of the names and places written about .Talks about people such as Don Sheldon and a pilot they called Madman Munz and others in some very humorous, but very serious situations.
Really enjoyed it!!!
Didn't know if any of you have seen it or not!!

Denny

Mike, I'd gladly trade autographs with you, but when I met Al Kaline, I just went stupid. I saw him, he said, "Nice golf case, where'd you get it?" I said, "Are you THE Al Kaline??" He said, "Yes." Then got in the airport van. I was still starry-eyed. Oh well, next time, it'll be like we're old friends, and I'll get his autograph then.

In case you're wondering about the golf case: my dad was retiring and starting to play golf, Tim was learning to play, and my choice was: go out with Dad and Tim, or stay in the house and talk to my Mom. For those of you who don't know my Mom, it was an obvious choice. Despite that, I no longer play golf, if you could have called it "playing." More like "looking for the stupid ball." Boring. And everyone kept yelling at me, "Your turn!" because I was always looking at every plane going overhead instead of keeping track of my turn. Now I look at every Par 5 as a possible landing site, just in case.

Anne.

Anne,

I know what you mean about Golf courses. I don't play, so I've always looked at fairways as being a waste of a perfectly good grass airstrip. One of the major VFR reporting points north of Merrill field is the Moose Run golf course on Fort Richardson. Every time I fly over that course I mentally calculate the amount of wear on the tires I'm about to inflict when I land on the asphalt at MRI. Of course the Army might get a bit upset if I tried to use their fairways for something besides a round of golf.

If you were to look up everytime a plane flew over at an Anchorage golf course, you'd never finish a round.

Mike, come and join us at New Holstein this year. I hope we fly up to Lakewood again (but better weather). That's a grass strip surrounded by a golf course. The golfers weren't too mad at us (10 planes, they had to stop for quite awhile), even when we scrunched some balls into the ground beneath our tires. Oh well, some people just can't take a joke.

But the food was good, the company terrific, and we liked it so much we stayed overnight! That was my first (and to date, only) golf course landing. When I tell other flying friends about landing there, they think I'm joking, then they remember what I fly.

Anne.

COMPROMISED by Terry Reed & John Cummings

Has some clandestine flying but more importantly gives you a real picture of how the Bush's and Clintons rose to power.

I guess I'll jump start this conversation. :D

I am trying to find the name and author of a book I found yesterday at Barnes & Nobel. It was a close out and when I went back to buy it today it was gone. :( The book was about the founder of Alaskan Interior Air. Anyone have any idea what the book is titled or the Author?

Mark

MarkG, I think you're referring to the book Triumph Over Turbulence, by Jim Magoffin. He founded Interior Airways, Alaska International Air, and Markair. I got my copy from him at Oshkosh in 1997, signed. Then when I went to Alaska in 1998, I saw him at the museum at Univ of Alaska - Fairbanks. He had a table set up and was selling more books!

I really enjoyed his book because it was different than all the others by bush pilots - he included his family, so it was a picture of life up there, rather than I landed here and crashed there. Lots of good pictures, too. A piece of King Chris is in the museum near Lake Hood.

I hope you can find a copy - you would enjoy it.

Anne.

Books, and their authors

Anne,

As to your earlier question about Bud Helmericks, Bud is still alive and well, and residing in Fairbanks.

So is Jim Magoffin and his wife Dot. If you can't find Jim's book on one of the internet sites, let me know, and I'll give him a call, I'm sure he'd be happy to send you a copy. He is very much a true gentleman.

As to books, you folks have it right, the author really makes the difference. Gann is absolutely unapproachable as an aviation author, in my view. Fate is the Hunter and Band of Brothers still ring loud in my memory banks.

Ice Runway by Roy Mason is another bush story, as is wind on the Water, by Lenora Conkle.

Now, if you want to talk about REAL bush flying, don't miss Jack Broughton's Going Downtown, and Thud Ridge, as well as My Secret War, by Drury, I think. Absolutely spellbinding prose about combat flying in the "bush" of Viet Nam, and Laos.

Greiner did a great job of writing in Wager With the Wind, but there are others who flew McKinley (and do today) and never wrecked an airplane. Sheldon wrecked something like 29 airplanes in his 30 years of flying. That's not a very profitable program, but makes for news stories. Nonetheless, Greiner's book is a masterpiece of skilled writing.

Happy reading, rainy day here too, so I'm off to read Ken Eichner's book, Nine Lives of a Bush Pilot. Ken started Temsco Helicopters, but the book includes a lot of his early stories about flying PA-12's in Ketchikan. Interesting stories, and great history, but needs a little editing, and a spell checker. Nonetheless, worth reading.

Mike Vivion

For the record, I thought Fate Is The Hunter was crap. Put me to sleep every time I tried to read it. Some of the others on the lists here are also crap. Pilots are suckers for books and magazines about flying. Apparently book and magazine editors are aware of this. I had a high scool teacher tell me once that there's nothing wrong with reading garbage, as long as it's good garbage. There is precious little written about aviation or aviators that qualifies as good. For those that are tempted to go out and buy, go to your library and take the nap on their nickel.
SB

Anne,

In reply to your earlier question, yes, Bud (Harmon) Helmericks is still alive and well, and in Fairbanks, as is Jim Magoffin. If you're looking for one of Jim's books, try one of the usual sources, and if you can't find one, let me know at mvivion@mosquitonet.com, and I'll call Jim and see if he can send you one. He is a real gentleman.

Roy Mason's book, Ice Runway, and anything by Ernie Gann, are great books. I'm currently reading Ken Eichner's book, Nine Lives of an Alaskan Bush Pilot. Ken started Temsco Helicopters, in Ketchikan. He's done many interesting things in both fixed and rotary wing aircraft.

Want some serious reading on "bush" flying, of a more contemporary nature, read Jack Broughton's Thud Ridge, and Going Downtown, or Richard Drury's book, My Secret War, for some interesting insights on the Vietnam war and operations in Laos.

Mike Vivion

Stewartb, no-one claimed these books were great literary classics, just enjoyable reading. I've learned a lot about flying and about different parts of the world by reading. When I can't go flying, I like to read about flying. Way better than cleaning the house.

Anne.

Anne,
I agree some are good. Maybe I overstated the bad side, but some are just plain bad. I heard how good "Fate is the Hunter" was, so I bought it to read on an airline flight. That was one long flight. I also must disagree with Mike Vivion's inferral that Don Sheldon was wreckless or careless. It seems the chances he took were usually justified by someone needing help, which he was willing to provide. Maybe those feats were embellished upon in the book. Doesn't matter. We know he was a good pilot. Better yet, he seemed to be a good man. That's a good way to be remembered.
SB

A little off the aviation topic, but "Minus 148 Degrees" is a great book. It's about the first winter ascent of Mt. McKinley. Whether you like to climb or not, you have to respect what some people can endure. It'll make you think twice before complaining about cold fingers, or wet socks. And, it won't put you to sleep.
SB

Re: Books, and their authors

mvivion said:
Greiner did a great job of writing in Wager With the Wind, but there are others who flew McKinley (and do today) and never wrecked an airplane. Sheldon wrecked something like 29 airplanes in his 30 years of flying. That's not a very profitable program, but makes for news stories. Nonetheless, Greiner's book is a masterpiece of skilled writing.

Mike Vivion

Sheldon may have been hard on his equipment but he never killed anyone and saved numerous lives. A lot of McKinley pilots only wreck once...

For the record, my comment wasn't intended to detract from Don Sheldon's record for assisting climbers in distress. What I SHOULD have said, is that there are a number of folks, Cliff Hudson and George Kitchen for a couple, who flew the mountain for many years, pulled off as many rescues, never bent an airplane in the process, and never had a book written about them, so nobody ever heard of them.

There are guys out there, working these things every day, who never broke one, and have done and are doing some fantastic things with them. That I find remarkable. Stuff happens on occasion, and an accident needn't be the end of the world, but the folks who go out there and work the edge a good bit without having to be rescued themselves a lot are the guys I'd like to fly with.

And, maybe you have to be in the right mood for Gann's Fate is the Hunter. Another book of his I liked is Gentlemen of Adventure, which is more or less an autobiography. There's a guy who did a lot of stuff over the years, as well.

Mike V

Mike,
You're right about Hudson and the others. And that reminds me of Don Bowers and the other unlucky ones.
I wish somebody would sit down with Roberta Sheldon and write a book. Bob Reeve's daughter. Don Sheldon's wife. Think she's got a few stories, or could repeat a few?
SB

Roberta Sheldon has written a book, The Mystery of the Cache Creek Murders. I haven't read it but I'm sure it doesn't quallify as aviation reading. I'll bet she would have some great stories.

Or, stop in Talkeetna and visit with Jay Hudson, Cliff's son, who still flies the mountain on a regular basis. There are lots of stories there.

And, yes, Don Dawson's accident was a real loss. It does happen, and this, of course, is the essence of Gann's Fate is the Hunter.

Dang, there I go on Gann again.

Sometimes the guys who grind it out day after day are the ones we never hear about. There are more than a few of them in Alaska,

Mike V

Back