• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

25x11x4 tundra tires

TJ , do these even exist anymore? (the tires) I have five sets of J-3 wheels and expander tubes and would like to use one set for my bastard experimental cub. just a thought.

24x11x4

would you please describe the landis adapters.I thought that you ran the old tires on the stock 4" wheels.????
Aurele

25/11/4

At the risk of getting pounded for off center ideas again I will share some of same. The biggest problem I have found with the tubes is that it is the tube slipping inside the tire, not the tire spinning on the wheel. When I assembled them, I made the mistake of putting baby powder in the tire to keep the tube from sticking. (aka USAF) That was a mistake. The tire spins up to speed and the tube slips and crunches the stem. I know the tire isn't slipping, it has been lagged for 26 years. ( wheel/adaptors/tire). There is an alternative to the Cleveland / Goodyear mishmash. There is a Goodyear wheel/brake setup that used to be used on Stinsons. It is identical to the standard Cub brake except it has 1 1/2 inch shoes and drums instead of the 1 inch. Most of the old 25" ers had this setup when I got them. I have seen several sets at LomPoc and the owners didn't know what they had. I use the standard Cub brake and can skid them in dirt or grass. (all you need). You just have to keep them tweaked. If you play in the desert pick all of the thorns out when you get home. (they will go clear through). Unless the tube is really ripped, a truck valve stem fits nicely and works fine. When you buy them check the area 45deg between the tops and the sides. (shoulders) If this area is flat they are badly worn. If it is round they are in good shape. Keep them off the pavement or land them very slow ( slow enough that they don't squeak ) and they will last 30+ years. Jerry.

25/11/4

I agree fully with T.J. on weight and time. I think I have only one set of plastic adaptors and the rest are fibreglass. A couple of things I forgot. There was a set of these tires and wheels on e-bay last month that went for $500. The other thing that I suggest is to put a box of bandaids and a couple of pressure bandages in your flat tire kit. You will need them. It's a bloody job. Jerry.

I have a set of the old Goodyears which I used for 17 years. Had to switch over to the 26 inch blimp tire/Clevelands two years ago. The main problem was that the tire and adaptor were spinning on the wheel unless you kept the tire pressure above 10 psi. If it was lower the brakes had to be used very carefully. I used to have a paint mark on the tire/adaptor/wheel and check it during preflight insp. I had the plastic adaptors from Airglas Engineering in Anchorage. (got a few sets of them originally through Atlee Dodge) When I had used up all the rings I called Atlee for more then he said they were not available anymore. I wish I had had the aluminum ones. I guess they lasted longer.

brakes

I was wondering about Better Brakes for use with the 24X11X4 tires.
The paperwork is not a issue,Experimental class.
Can anyone offer any thoughts or opinions.I really like these tires and have been running 7.5 lbs.and they are working great for me but would love to have better brakes!
Thanks for your comments,Aurele

I don't guess these tires can be capped can they? I have 3 sets of tires and adapters but two sets have cords showing. Anybody know of any tires for sale?

Have had these tyres recapped successfully but they come out heavy and fairly rough looking. Have some 4 in wheels and adaptors screwed and araldited together and also a couple of spare adaptors, I think. I any one wants them let me know, I have changed over to Goodyears and 6 inch wheels. Ted

25 inch adapters

I am a fairly new reader of the posts on this site and my interest of late is the old 25x11x4 tire and adapter issue. Back on Oct.5 2002, Jerry Burr says that his tube was slipping inside the tire and that was crunching the stem. That's not possible. Actually if it was happening you would never have any problems. He states that the tire is lagged to the rim and is not slipping. So what force is causing the tube to move? If you could make the tube slip inside the tire the valve would stay aligned and never be torn loose. My experience with the plastic (both red and black) airglass adapters is that they always break where the holes are drilled for the wheel attachment screws. My one and only aluminum adapter has never slipped or broken. I realize that this is an old issue but I like the tire on my 11. Brass valve stems and aluminum adapters make a good recipe.

Who's slipping

OK watered down. You seem to have the answers, so answer this one. The valve stem is centered in the hole properly. You go and do four touch and goes. When you taxi in the stem is cranked over against the side of the hole. The wheel/ adaptor/tire are lagged together so they are one unit. What moved? :-? Jerry.

As has been stated many times on this topic, the stem is torn from the wheel when the tire tries to rotate faster than the wheel at touchdown. This happens because inflation pressure in the tube attaches the tube to the tire and because there is more adhesion between the tube and the tire than the tire and the rim, the stem is broken. What you are implying is there is no adhesion present and the tube is freewheeling inside the tire. In that case the stem may be displaced but it would never be torn off if indeed the wheel/adapter/tire are unitized. I have worked with tires for 30 years and it sounds like either the tube is undersized or it is all but flat.

I've got a set of these tires for sale in Homer ak. Wheels adapters brakes included.

One good shape other some cracking.

25X11X4

Hi
My $.01
I have been running 12 pounds for pavement and 8 for gravel and my tires have not moved with no lag screws.I was thinking about screwing them together but so far i have not landed anyplace that requires less air and am going to wait and see if i have any movement problems first.
I was talking with a guy who ran 30"Airstreaks and he told me he used to run them so low the front of the tire would deform while flying but then the story about one of his landings was very interesting to.I like the tires but the brake leave a little to be desired.
Jerry,What do you run for a average everyday pressure in your 25"s.
Aurele

tires

Hi Aurele. I run 6 lbs. Have been running them at that pressure for 29 years and that seems to provide the best wear pattern. Any less and it wears the shoulders and more wears the centers.
Watered down. You're finally getting the picture. There is no adhesion between the tire and the tube, because I screwed up and put baby powder in the tire. Maybe rubber cement next time but never baby powder. Jerry.

jerry,

Okay, if it makes you feel better, I am finally getting "the picture." Actually I have always gotten it but my contention was and still is - you had better expect trouble if you don't run enough tire pressure. I have run mine at 8-9 pounds since I got them and they still look good. By the way, sounds like chickenman had another good weekend but then spring is coming and the new coyote hatch is just around the corner.

I've been running 7lbs in mine on the SC for 3 years with no problems, (I've never had them apart), but I don't have enough brake to cause a problem, and I land slow on grass, no black top.
Wilbur

25X11X4

Hi
I Just got a spare tire and tube.The tube is in great shape with no patches and a original valve stem. The tire has a cut in it and Was wondering if anyone has patched a tire before. The cut is on the shoulder of the tire and about 2" long.
Any suggestions on patching up a old tire for use as a spare or is it junk?
Aurele

I have a set of 4 aluminum spacers I will part with. I don't know where there are any tires but it seems they pop up every so often. Wheels are not to tough to find either. If you do any rough field landings, the 25's really smooth things out.

I would really like to find a set of these and the spacers if anyone has a set or a lead on where to find them. Thanks.

I picked up a set of 25x11x4 this week that were never mounted. They still have the original stickers on the tread. Anyone know what they are worth? Seems like a new set are hard to come by.

In the 70’s I ran my cub and other cubs on 25x11x4’s. I used 6 psi, they were pinned, and they worked fine but I also had enough sense to not over use the brakes. In 84 when I rebuilt, I decided that I didn’t want to trust my cub to 30 year old rayon cord tires.

Back