Thread: Sheet Metal Screws Falling Out

Post Thanks / Like

Sheet Metal Screws Falling Out

Sheet metal screws are natorious for falling out. A trick I do to keep them in place is to put a drop of G.E. silicone on and around the screw hole, then insert the screw and tighten it down, just snug, they are easy to strip out. Wipe off the excess silicone that squeazes out from under the screw head with a rag. I use white on the wing root fairing and black on the black interior panels so you can't notice it. Crash

Post Thanks / Like

Mass Fallout

Hi Greg!

Its been awhile...
    I've been doing that, and it's really cool, it works! I'ts kinda sad though, with all the hours of great vibration that old 0320B2B puts on the frame, I am still losing screws. I know, you don't all need to agree so heartily....
    Cheers!
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Loose Screw

Ya, you've got a loose screw, but it's not on your Super Cub. Crash

Post Thanks / Like

Loose Screw...

Thanks Greg...I can feel the love...
    You weren't supposed to agree so pointedly!
    How did hunting season go for ya this year? get anything? Just landed at your strip the other day, stopped to talk w/ Kelly Painter--guy with the silver 170 on the SW end of your strip...
    I bought his PA-12 off him about 4 years ago...I'd really like to see your
    -14 one day, I imagine you've got it done now?
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Red

Andy, Got on two different moose and missed both times I'm ashamed to admit. Tried a new gun this year and couldn't hit a thing, I just sucked. First time I haven't gotten a moose since 1981. Going back to my old gun next year. Yes the PA-14 is done and I flew it all summer on floats. It's a great plane, very pleased with it's performence. Just took it off floats on Saturday and have it parked out front. Started taking the PA-18 apart the day after I got back from the moose trip. Really having fun now. Stop on by (fly or drive) if you are out and about. Take care! Crash
    Thanks mixer thanked for this post
    Likes mixer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ran across this old post and had lots of time on my hands so here is my method if anyone is interested.Cut a little thin strip of clear neoprene hose and insert it in the subject hole.Then run the screw in beside it and before it bottoms out ,cut the remaining exposed part off and tighten. The hose is rather sticky and will hold that screw in for a very long time, tightly...
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RCharles View Post
    Just ran across this old post and had lots of time on my hands so here is my method if anyone is interested.Cut a little thin strip of clear neoprene hose and insert it in the subject hole.Then run the screw in beside it and before it bottoms out ,cut the remaining exposed part off and tighten. The hose is rather sticky and will hold that screw in for a very long time, tightly...
    A small zip tie works well too
    Likes WindOnHisNose, Bearhawk Builder, EdH liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pinch the holes shut with a clean pair of Knipex pliers.

Post Thanks / Like
    The object with the strip of hose is to insert it into the receptical so the screw goes in tightly against the hose material on one side and the hole/ metal on the other.allowing it to be tightened down and hold a panel in place where a receptical was not damaged/oversize
    Likes mixer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    All
    great ideas.Think I will use nut plates wherever I can tho!
    Likes Kid Durango, wireweinie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use silicone if they are not oversized. They will not vibrate out. If they are wallowed out then i do the zip tie trick. I read the original post back in 2002 and have yet to have any issues with them coming out using silicone and good holes.

Post Thanks / Like
    If somebody made #4-1/2 x 1/4” PK screws? I’d buy a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    The solution is simple. And far less messy. Acquire plastic washers from Wicks or AC Spruce. 6,8 and 10 size. Use them on any SMS or MS. They will not back out once tight against the softer plastic. In ten years your airplane won't have ever increasing screw holes from departed SMS.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    Likes tedwaltman1, Bilair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    The solution is simple. And far less messy. Acquire plastic washers from Wicks or AC Spruce. 6,8 and 10 size. Use them on any SMS or MS. They will not back out once tight against the softer plastic. In ten years your airplane won't have ever increasing screw holes from departed SMS.
    Maybe CubCrafters is using washers made from different plastic but almost all my flap seal retaining screws came loose in the first year of ownership. Caught all those before they departed the aircraft but missed one on the belly panel and lost it. (full disclosure - I had removed and replaced the belly panel twice since it was fitted by CC)
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frequent_flyer View Post
    Maybe CubCrafters is using washers made from different plastic but almost all my flap seal retaining screws came loose in the first year of ownership. Caught all those before they departed the aircraft but missed one on the belly panel and lost it. (full disclosure - I had removed and replaced the belly panel twice since it was fitted by CC)
    Interesting. I think I got mine from Wicks back in the mid 2000s. They are just soft enough so that the head of the screw gets a good seat and won't back off. I can see where that would not work if they are too rigid.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special

Post Thanks / Like
    The thinnest weed wacker string in the hole when you put in the screw. Cut flush with sharp blade and it makes its own nylon lock washer.
    Likes AKjurnees liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a pet peeve of mine and why I nut plate everything - of course it adds time, weight and money.
    Likes RaisedByWolves, yellowbird69 liked this post

Exeter N.H.---Spruce Creek Fly-in(7FL6) Daytona Beach FLorida
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIVNUTS worked for me---

"You cannot teach experience, you must acquire it."
    Captain Cub
    Thanks mixer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Heavy nylon fishing line put in hole tighten screw then pull excess against head and it snaps off.Stuff I have been using is around 100# test clear nylon