• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 fuel valves

PA12driver

Battle Ground, WA
Help!

I have the "appears to be" the original PA12 fuel valves installed in my PA12: the set up is shown in the photo--after the valves, both tee into a single line into the bottom of the Header tank then into a Main shut off valve. All (three valves) apear to be "Piper PN: 492-014" The problem is the only one that shuts off is the "Main shut off" I would like to rebuild these valves- however I don't want to disassemble them with the fear of them leaking from the 'stem packing"? Do any of you guys have comments, options that would work without having to "re-plumb"??

Thanks for all ideas, part numbers, etc.
Tim

PA12fuelvalves.JPG

I have since posting my original post on the valves found a couple more used ones, took them apart and found the intrals so be fine (just dirty and dry) After cleaning all the parts up to like new condition, and re-assembling them with "fuel lub" testing them, and they work just fine!

Hours of research concluded: thanks to a few "old timer" AP's that these original issue valves work just fine if they are disassembled, cleaned and serviced using fuel lube (aproximately every 200hrs or 2 years at best!

(question still remains0?? what kind of tool and where does one get the type of modified compression/flare fitting used on these valves?
IE: it appears to be SAE thread but I have yet to locate the fittings/components?

fuelvalve.JPG

Sorry Tim, I missed this one, slacking I guess. That's a original valve, but I'm not sure on that compression fitting. I don't have a 12 valve out right now, but I don't remember a brass ferral used in there? I thought a standard 37 degree flare on the end of the tube fit the in the valve with the compressoin fitting? But I can't remember. Maybe someone just jammed the ferrel in there instead of making a flare? Look in the end of the valve and see if it looks like it was designed to accept a flare, or use a ferrel again if that looks correct. I'll be pulling a 12 fuel system here soon, and I'll check how it is put together, but you'll probably figure it out before then.

It looks like your interior panels won't allow easy access to the valves? I would modify them to have a small removeable panel around the valves, (like a PA-18). As you found out, you will be dissassembling and lubing these valves often. I would make it so you could pull the plug out of the valve without removing the valve body from the plane, then you don't have to mess with the fittings every time, which will cause you a lot of problems.

PA-18.

I don't know why the smiley guy is there, I typed PA-18, and can't get rid of him, at least he isn't flipping me off this time.

And for finding the ferrule Tim (I think I spelled it wrong before), think kitchen sink.

Fuel valves

Tim, I bet you can't wait for rebuild time so you can get rid of those three old style Piper valves. When you do rebuild I would highly reccommend the CC headerless fuel system with one of the Univair new style PA-18 valves. I have it in my PA-14 and am installing it in my PA-18. It works great. Crash

Thanks guys! Ther Ferrule does look like std. issue, not the typical ferral though? It is flat, 90 degrees against the end of the male thread and flared, appears to be 37 degrees on the end that is into the valve? The tubing has a slight enlarged beed on the Inside (reducing the diameter slightly) appears to be made with some sort of tool? What a trivia question? I seem to remember from my "old car days" that this was some sort of a "reinforced flare" used in auto and industrial tubing?

MD you are right there is no trim panel around the valves like the trip and the early mags switches etc. Mine was built with fabric with naugahide over that. I will slightly enlarge the hole to the diameter of the "plug" so I can remove/service without disrupting the line fittings on the valves.

Crash, you are right I would indeed get rid of the header tank (inaccessible) from the inside as it is mounted outside the fuselage under the boot cowl! How dumb is that! There is another "main" shut off valve between the Header tank and the fire wall to boot!.

I plan on (next year building another set of wings that will in time go on an experimental licensed bird. I will build up the new wings plumbed for the upgraded system with the Univair 4 port valve as you mentioned.

What a great site this is for networking information! Thanks we will get together soon I hope!!

Tim

Back