• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Floats...1400 vs 2000

G

O.K. I'm the new guy here.... Got a ??? for you ole' dogs. I have this L-21 with a 150hp(165hp) with the 3"lift. I WANT FLOATS and don't know a thing about EDO 1400 vs. EDO 2000's except that the 1400 seem more available.
1.What are the advantages and disadvantages for both types?
2. What are the specs for both and where can I get a copy?
3. Whats a fair market value for a average pair of either the type with rigging?

Any other info. from you dogs that you may think is helpful!

Thanks,
VinnyB

P.S. Anybody have any old pictures of a L-21 done up in the ole' military livery? Pictures are best!

1400's are not legal on a 150 hp, and are to small for the gross weight. You will pay about 10-15k for 2000's, have someone who knows floats look them over before you buy, there's a lot of junk out there.

The Air Heritage site has original L21 (Italian) pics, I think there is a link to it from this site.

Mark,

Doesn't the number of the float (1400, 2000, etc) imply the gross weight it can handle?

sj

Yes and no, kinda sorta.

That was Edo's max # on most of their models. But the PA18 (not 150)with 1400's grosses at 1474#, while the PA18-150 with 2000's grosses at 1760#.

EDO 2000's

Vinny,

As Mark said, 1400's are not legal on a PA-18-150 or an L-21. (Besides being underwater most of the time) You will usually see 1400's and such on T-Carts, J-3's and Champs.

Mark's also right on the cost of used EDO's. Should be able to find a set in the Anchorage paper, Trade-A-Plane, a local SPB, Barnstormers, EBAY or I even know of a local set here in decent shape and in the price ball park. I think they have PA-12 rigging though and you'd have to find 18 attach gear for them. Not impossible. There is still $upport for the 2000 float as well from Kenmore in WA.

Wherever you find a set, be sure to have a knowledgeble person check them out because as tough as an EDO is built, they do wear out!

Brad

I don't know much about model numbers, but in terms of displacement, I read in some official-looking document that to be certifiable, each float had to be capable of positive bouancy at gross weight... a single 1400 will float a gross weight J3, it takes a 2000 (or at least an 1800) to float a 150hp PA-18.

Floats

Edo's are OK if you are low on money, but Baumann's are the best, period!! When you get serious about performance, workability and safety, you will get a set of Baumanns. Crash

Following on from this discussion, what kind of mods are required (also how much $$$?) to put floats on a stock 150? And if you then want to change it between floats and wheels on a semi-regular basis how long does that usually take and what is involved?

BCB

O.K. fella's thanks for all the replies! If anyone out there has a set 2000's and snow ski's for sale, pass it along. I've been crus'in the typical publications and web sites but thought perhaps the Cub page may help too. perferable in the lower 48. Shipping's a killer cost!

Still looking for a place to view drawings and specs for floats along with more pic's of L-21's done up in thier U.S. type military livery.

Man is this an assume web site!!

P.S. Does anyone have any info. on inflatable floats? I've seen some early 1930's era photo's claiming that this floats where once certificated. Anyone remember anything about these types of floats. Don't confuse this request with the "Full Lotus" type floats for experimentals.

I've got a set of PK 1800's that came with my PA18A, what's the general opinion on these floats vs the EDO. And what are they worth in good condition?

PK 1800

Was this the yellow one Don Taylor re-built around 94? I think he did decent work but I wasn't happy with the PK's he put on it.

PK 1800's should be avoided unless you got a super duper deal on them (free?). They are the absolute minimum needed by an 18 (submarine chic) and not built as strong as the EDO's. We had a bad experience with a set of PK 1630's on a 90 hp Champ back here this spring. The material isn't HD enough. Brad

Back