• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pawnee Tail Springs.

Univair offers a HD four leaf spring spring for the PA18 and 18A. You probably get the same spring as the "Pawnee" spring but avoid the possible requirement of a 337.

I prefer the heavier spring because it takes the abuse of off-airport landings better and does't get bent as easily and seems to help in avoiding the shimmies.

I like the stock springs. They flex and move better and absorb a lot of abuse instead of transfering it to the fuselage. I consider springs consumable items, and replace them about every 200-300 hours, and all the attach bolts every 100 hrs. These are not expensive items to replace, and old springs/hardware fatige and break, irregardless of size.

PS, By stock springs I mean the HD Univair 4 leaf that dj mentioned. The 3 leaf for the early S/N's is a little weak. And always inspect the 2 leaves that attach to the tail wheel closely, they do not break at the same time, and you can find one that is broken before they both break and the wheel seperates.

The PA-18A I believe had the wider 1 1/2" spring. I broke about 4 of the regular sets before I finally switched to the wider spring. Wasn't the weight, it was the type of country I was landing in. Had an old Maule tailwheel assy on it and everyone said it was garbage. It outlasted four sets of springs. Finally had to give it up when I switched to the wider spring and put a Scott TW on.

A Stinson spring worls well. It sits the tail up a little higher. 3 of the 4 leafs are all you need.

Springs

The stock four leaf 1 1/4" spring is not much lighter then a three leaf 1 3/4" pawnee spring. One guy I kept telling to switch over after his first stock spring broke, broke a second one and destroyed his rudder in the process. He now is a beliver and has a Pawnee spring. I have never seen a Pawnee spring break. Crash

Pawnee Spring

Just to set the record straight. I was in Stoddards today and had Jane weigh a four leaf 1 1/4" PA-18 tail spring and a three leaf 1 3/4" Pawnee tail spring. The 1 1/4" spring weighed 4lbs 4 oz. the 1 3/4" spring weighed 4lbs 10oz. Crash

Back