• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

iPhone 14 offering new Emergency SOS feature - satellite communications

hawgdrvr

FL001
I'm watching the Apple event now and they are detailing the new iPhone 14. A new feature "Emergency SOS" may replace the need for a garmin inReach. I don't know any other details, just FYI this was just announced.

It also has crash detection (g force) so this also adds value to me, as a pilot. Guess I'll be giving Apple more money.

I'll be interested to hear whose satellites they're connecting to, and how good the connection success is with an obstructed view of the sky. Not just in trees, which are problematic for Iridium phones as it is, but in a back pocket of a pilot inside an aluminum cocoon that's under a forest canopy. Apple is good, but not that good.

I'll be interested to hear whose satellites they're connecting to, and how good the connection success is with an obstructed view of the sky. Not just in trees, which are problematic for Iridium phones as it is, but in a back pocket of a pilot inside an aluminum cocoon that's under a forest canopy. Apple is good, but not that good.

Reminds me of the arguments I've had about 406 ELTs with horizontal mounted antennas, inside a steel tube fuselage, wrapped in fabric painted with aluminum dope.

Web

The SPOT locators did not work that well in Alaska with Globalstar. Unless they have put up a bunch of new satellites I will stick with my IN-Reach. Lower 48 may work just fine. Time will tell. DENNY

Globalstar is the satellite provider.

There in lies the problem... Some android phones will have this option in 2023 as well - said to use low orbit (think starlink) sats instead of high orbit like globalstar.

sj

Every morning, our newspaper is reporting dozens of “crashes” reported to 911 Dispatch from…..wait for it….skiers with the new iPhone.

im guessing the Sherrif isn’t amused. Probably on hold with Apple tech help. “No, no, you must have an account secured with a credit card.”

MTV

Every morning, our newspaper is reporting dozens of “crashes” reported to 911 Dispatch ....

I see two problems:
1) sending out the mounties on false alarms.
2) disregarding alarms thought to be false...that turn out to be legit.

I see two problems:
1) sending out the mounties on false alarms.
2) disregarding alarms thought to be false...that turn out to be legit.

Mom always told me what happened to the little boy who cried "Wolf"...

sj

Back