• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ADS-B Rebate, not as gone as they say, get yourself one.

MT12

FRIEND
Montana
I finally got around to installing my ADS-B, a simple enough process with a modern transponder and a Garmin GDL-82, power, ground, GPS antennae, TXP antennae and a cable to the TXP. Building a mounting bracket took me the most time as I installed it under the rear seat in my PA-12. Oh yea, and don't forget to test your cables with an ohm meter before you install them to ensure they are built properly, I hear that can add some time to a project.

I then went on the FAA website to see about a $500 rebate. Of course they were already all allocated out, but wait there's more. They are only allocated for a 60 day period. if someone has a rebate reservation but doesn't install and request a rebate within the 60 days their rebate goes back into the pool to be reallocated. Every Wednesday at 9 a.m. Eastern time the FAA reallocates the unused rebates. Here's a link to the spot: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/ Scroll down to Step 2, click on the link and it will tell you if there are any rebates available, if there are fill out the form it sends you to and you're in, I think I tried only 2 or 3 Wednesdays before I got in.

So today I did the required certification flight, since I live 200 miles from the nearest ADS-B required airspace I just flew the 12 up to 12,500 and tooled around for 30 minutes, ok 45 minutes cuz I didn't want to miss it by a minute or 2. I went up to 12,500 just to be sure I had good radar service and frankly I was curious if the old girl would make it up that high, but around these parts you need at least 10K to get radar service. I did contact Salt Lake center to see if they had me on radar, they did and that was that, I don't think I would have had to talk to them at all.

This afternoon I started on the internet paperwork part of the deal to get my $500. Easy peasy, it took 15-20 minutes and the check is in the mail. Easiest $500 I've made in a long time. If I can do it, no reason you can't as well.

Doug

Oops, you are right, I turned the clock the wrong way. I should have said what I knew, 11a.m. mountain time. Sorry 'bout that, 1pm eastern is right.

I went on the web site every Wednesday at 11:00 starting July 1st up until August 14th. I could never get a returned reservation, so I just gave up and had my ADSB installed. I've since flowen it and checked it out. It works

It took me about four tries before I was able to get in..., I e-mailed FAA after missing it one morning (10:00 in Californication) and they responded that you have to log in at exactly 1:00 and be prepared to fill out the request immediately... all available reservations are gone within 3-4 minutes! I finished the install the next day, flew it for an hour and got a green light from FAA...., checks in the mail!

Don’t give up. I got one today at 1:00 sharp, maybe a minute before, first try. This was my fourth week of trying.

It actually worked, August 8 to today, 7 weeks, not bad. Though they did suggest I cash the check right away as the rebate program ends in October. Now.... decisions, decisions.

20190927_173303.jpg

Attachments

• 20190927_173303.jpg
    20190927_173303.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 139
Back