• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/30/00/F6D0E4AC-4F69-4068-87E6-BA78849B11FE/MOV_5765.mov

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Doesn't look like you can attach it that way. Maybe try uploading it to a hosting site then share a link.

Yep that's the one. Looks like a security camera, not a ring doorbell cam. Can't find an uploaded version anywhere to share.

Interesting part is how the engine/firewall bent upwards and perhaps absorbed a bit of the impact. Makes me wonder how the fuselages with the extra diagonal braces on the sides of the nose would have done.

The plane impacted the ground in transition from inverted to vertical but in that vertical moment it was traveling in a very unusual direction. The relative wind was on the bottom of the wings. The engine bent the only way it could. It must have hit something to upset the plane in the final few seconds and what we’re seeing is the end of a cartwheel. No way the pilot had any control at that point. So many things could have happened differently and resulted in a worse outcome. I’m sure somebody will upload the clip and circulate it on the internet but it won’t be me.

Hopefully the video and photos don’t get uploaded...sometimes these things should stay a bit private...if pilot and owners like to share, then great...good not to speculate! Thankful things turned out as good as they did for the pilot!

Hopefully the video and photos don’t get uploaded...sometimes these things should stay a bit private.

Not going to be able to keep it a secret when the newspaper and TV published photos all over the place. The cat is out of the bag.

Agreed. Posting it would only invite speculation and judgement. Thought better about digging it up after some reflection.

The pilot did a fine job in a bad situation and thankfully got out with only minor injuries.

Last edited:
View attachment 55029Early this month. Hopefully a good learning lesson; what not to do!View attachment 55027View attachment 55028

A 185 bringing climbers out of Mt. Logan didn't quite make the jump and hit the other side, killed the pilot, (not wearing a shoulder harness). Look at your site from all directions!

Rereading Stewarts description of the last seconds and impact, it is amazing that the pilot survived. Anyone getting a bird down in that area without involving lots of cars or buildings did a good job.

I hope the pilot doesn't have any lasting injury. Plane can be fixed.

I didn’t understand that one. An airplane has the ability to scope out the area prior to landing. I’ve come over a rise on a snowmachine on a glacier to see a gaping crevasse. I barely got turned in time. A year later I lost a friend who wasn’t as lucky. I don’t ride glaciers much since. How that happens in an airplane? I don’t get it. Another extraordinarily lucky outcome.

I didn’t understand that one. An airplane has the ability to scope out the area prior to landing. I’ve come over a rise on a snowmachine on a glacier to see a gaping crevasse. I barely got turned in time. A year later I lost a friend who wasn’t as lucky. I don’t ride glaciers much since. How that happens in an airplane? I don’t get it. Another extraordinarily lucky outcome.
He may have known there was a crevasse, but misjudged the distance. The manager of the local Schwann's branch told me that he wouldn't let his drivers back up after they parked in someone's yard, as he said that they would too often forget their surroundings and back into something, even if they had just walked around their trucks prior to backing up. Once their minds were distracted by the customers, their initial memory of the spatial reference was gone or altered. Maybe the pilot saw the crevasse, but after loading up and visiting, forgot how close it was or what angle he needed to go to miss it. If so, he should have oriented his plane away from it or marked the route he needed to depart from immediately upon shutdown, before he interacted with the passengers.

So, how deep would that crevasse likely be? Or is that the bottom that we can see? Deep enough it appears to cause a real bad day, but surely not hundreds of feet? I'm getting quivery just looking at that, wow, what a ride that must have been and what a lucky SOB. Must have been some fast snow that day, maybe he nailed the landing multiple times before in other conditions, but slicker snow (looks powdery), maybe a bit of tailwind, other things on his mind. One of the most amazing ski flying pics I've ever seen.

I made my first off airport landing yesterday after taking the skis off, and I found myself after takeoff, looking back to see my tracks and to judge my landing, then I realized, no tracks! I miss that in wheel flying.

We are taught that crevasses are bottomless. Been recent incidents where they found some climbing gear at the edge, and nothing. people go in, and down, and get wedged. Yes, can be hundreds of feet deep.

If I were doing the recovery, it would be with Pioneers 208, in harnesses, one guy tied off walks in and hooks up plane, lift out and set to side, then net it away from that crevasse. The next day it could just fall in!

Yes, I believe it was Pioneer 208, unless it was Soloy 205. Video I got was grainy and distant but looked like Pioneer setting it into Girdwood. They do good work.

Yes, I believe it was Pioneer 208, unless it was Soloy 205. Video I got was grainy and distant but looked like Pioneer setting it into Girdwood. They do good work.

208? Not familiar....... Wrote it off as a typo when George referenced it, now just curious.

Bell's predecessor to the 212. I did not know Pioneer had a 208, it may have been a typo. The more common UH 1B (205) (for the operators locally) is good for 4000 pound lift, depending.

Ya, I think there was like one 208 built as a prototype in the 60’s, never produced. Pioneers website shows a UH1B which is actually the military version of the 204, slightly smaller than the 205 (UH1H). The military surplus models are restricted category, while the civilian produced counter parts are normal category.

Last edited:
He may have known there was a crevasse, but misjudged the distance. The manager of the local Schwann's branch told me that he wouldn't let his drivers back up after they parked in someone's yard, as he said that they would too often forget their surroundings and back into something, even if they had just walked around their trucks prior to backing up. Once their minds were distracted by the customers, their initial memory of the spatial reference was gone or altered. Maybe the pilot saw the crevasse, but after loading up and visiting, forgot how close it was or what angle he needed to go to miss it. If so, he should have oriented his plane away from it or marked the route he needed to depart from immediately upon shutdown, before he interacted with the passengers.

Something I do on floats when I'm landing water with some underwater hazards. I started using my phone camera to take a couple pictures when over flying where I want to land. Later on I can refresh my memory looking at the photos.

Glenn

My favorite non-fiction book ever. Even when the best of the best go out fully prepared with the best equipment? Stuff happens. If you enjoy glaciers and winter sports this is a must-read.

https://www.amazon.com/Minus-148-Degrees-Winter-McKinley/dp/0898866871

A teaser- https://www.nationalparkstraveler.o...grees-first-winter-ascent-mount-mckinley23978
Off topic but in response to Stewart's post on the hazards of crevasses and mountain climbing. Jim Wickwire's book, "Addicted to Danger" is awesome.

Bell's predecessor to the 212. I did not know Pioneer had a 208, it may have been a typo. The more common UH 1B (205) (for the operators locally) is good for 4000 pound lift, depending.

My knowledge of actual models is slim, so you guys are mostly likely correct on the actual model. It was a military version, and restricted category that I watch work. The pilot could play checkers with the long line- that was the important part.

My knowledge of actual models is slim, so you guys are mostly likely correct on the actual model. It was a military version, and restricted category that I watch work. The pilot could play checkers with the long line- that was the important part.

Yep, I only asked because it’s been a while since I was flying the medium lift ships, and there are a few limited production Bell’s out there like the 210 and 214. Thought maybe I missed one. Having done a fair amount of long line work “back in the day”, I really appreciate watching a good long line pilot.

Crevasse rescue

I have a fellow who works for me who is on our wilderness response team. He is on the small side. One summer a tourist fell into a crevasse on Worthington glacier. The whole story is completely miraculous but the Reader's Digest version is that the 16 year old high school foot ball player lineman fell into the crack. Chris was the third rescuer lowered in to try and get the kid out. It was over 50 feet down and the cracks don't just go straight down, they bend forward as the glacier goes over the hill. Chris was lowered in and the kid was wedged in like a cork and had kept melting deeper into the glacier the longer it went (to a point). Chris was in so tight that he had to turn his head and feet sideways to get low enough and then just got a rope around the kid's elbow. The kid went unconscious and Chris had to pull him to the side and then people pulled the kid to the surface by the rope to his elbow. The kid had a heart attack when he got to the top because the cold blood suddenly hit his heart. They did CPR and miraculously flagged down the Alyeska pipeline patrol helicopter to get him off the glacier and then life flighted to Anchorage. The kid's body temperature was the second lowest ever recorded to survive in Alaska. With all the crap on TV I don't know why no one made a movie of this. There were about 10 absolute chance things that happened for the outcome to be successful. I think of that when riding on glaciers. This doesn't even begin to coverall all the stuff that happened. To start a foreign tourist happened to have a satellite phone but didn't know where he was when he was making the call to the 911 center in Palmer and could only say he was next to a glacier. A Valdez cop in town somehow overheard the radio chatter and figured that they must be talking about Worthington and the rescue began. Unbelievable story. He was in the glacier for 5 hours and his core temp was said to be 75 degrees.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/art...teenager-trapped-glacier-crevasse/2012/07/06/

Early April's record snow and current cold in Alaska was forecast several days ahead of its arrival. A major SW plume of moisture came inland from the Bering Sea. Anybody that ignored that information and decided to go camping on a mountain directly in its path took unnecessary risks.

Gary

"Shelter in place at the Sheldon Chalet"......"My I have some caviar with my wine and cheese while we wait for this pesky Alaska WX to clear"......

And a good credit card with high limit if they sheltered in place at the Sheldon Chalet Hilton

Note this line in the article.

The group requested a rescue Saturday morning “due to limited survival resources,”

I bet they had an InReach though.

Jerry

Back