• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Corvus Migrans the Wandering Raven II

Pics will follow, when I find a software to shrink the 5-7mb pics down. So I can download them.

Thank you for the interst. It is interesting how many of you have visited my thread

Ingo,

It was great to meet you in Illiamna. Glad the rest of your trip that day went well.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I love reading your adventures. You tell your story and add just enough good stuff to keep it exciting. Be safe and keep going.

Thanks Jon

Ingo,

It was great to meet you in Illiamna. Glad the rest of your trip that day went well.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Hi Jeff we tried to reach you next day, but my satphone didn't except the number you gave me.
I realy regret it not to press my travelmate to join you to your camp. But after 5 days traveling/camping her tight goal was "home"! We would have for sure a nice evening. At "home" my travelmate next day also thought to reggret it. Well how to understand the ladies8)

Well this is now a while ago, about one month. I came back from ANC with new mags (Bendix) new Attlee sightgages a new annual from Dan's and wanted to start my planed flight to the peninsula Bristol Bay. But no my mixturecontrolcable jamed. It took me a week to get one and put it in. I had to take a different route than Dan's 25 years ago. But now it was strangly smooth��. OK I packed up and filled evrything in my cub. What I am happy again to have the 2000# gross wheight increse. My cub was full plus 60gls fuel, good for 6 hours. So I took off and flew down to the Alaska Range. I had marvelous weather. A few clouds which girlanded the Mt. Denali and Mt. Foracker. Man flying in 9000-10000ft abouve the mountains in such beautifull weather it is something. Some weeks later under bad weather a K2 Beaver from Talkeetna crashed into the glacier. Five fatalities!

After 5 hrs flying I landed at Illiamna to refuel. Only to dicover that the pump does not accept my german master amd visa cards. God grace I had the AMEXCO which again saved the day. fueled up I cuntinued my flight at the Lake Illiamna to the west in search for a campsite. It was windy and I had to search carefull not to have a windy camp. 3-4mls north of Igiugig I used the same campsite I had 25 years ago. It was a wide soft beach.

Well here I am back. It is raining and I am bored. So I post.
Next morning I broke camp und flew down the peninsula along the Bristol Bay. But at the Kwitchak River I got a sad surprise. Ten years ago there was only one fishinglodge. Now there are four with many, many beavers on flaots. And everywhere riverboats. You could even see Bristol Bay fisherboats running upriver.Crowded!
At the Bay you could see hundreds of salmonfisherboatrs. Now I see from where we get the Pacific salmon in Germany
1f923.png
��
After three more hours flying I arrived Cape Siniavon in hope to see many walrusses. Nope there were only 30-50. But before north there was new herd of about 300.
Landing at the cape was interesting. It was blowing 15 gusting 25 ( I had a windspeed instrument with me)90° from the landingpass. I was very afraid to loose control in 100-200ft AGL maneuvering in that strong turbulence, while searching for a landingsight. So on flair on the first one I almost crashed my cub. But the 180 ponnies pulled it out.Than I saw the near by landingsight. But do not ask me how I got down. I only remember fast in, full flaps, flair and brake and my cub was shaking in the wind. It all was instinkt. So I do not remember, but I made it, as in so many other occasions.
Here I saw the first browny approaching me untill he got my scent and went away. But every night the next morning I could see the tracks arround my camp. next day a 185 from Wildman Lodge landed to look for the walrusses. When he took off with 4 people he needen more than 800 feet applying full flaps on rotation. Our old bushflying trick. A day later I needed only less than 360ft but I was heavy. I am happy to have a cub. I flew to Nelson Lagoon for fuel. 7,50$ a gl versa 10$ in King Salmon. Here at Nelson Lagoon all the airplains from the lodges bought fuel.
The way back to Lake Illiamna was uneventfull. Except at my campsite the wind was with more than 30mls direct on the coast. It generated 3-4ft high waves. So I landed at Igiugig and camped on an old place I had 20 years or so ago. It was a good windsheltered site. Igiugig is a very quite little village but not as quite as it used to be years ago.

Well the FSS-Lady said VFR not recomanded. 1ml visibility at Lake Clark Pass. Well it is only a short stretch through the valley. Refueling and off I went. At the End of Lake Clark you could see the bad weather comming. In the pass-valley I heard and comunicated with three! other airplanes they came in opposit direction. Funny feelings came up. They reported flying around 2000' so I flew below 800'. It looked dark and clouds everywhere. The sidewalls steep and disappearing in the upper mist. Looking sharp to the front hoping to see an approaching airplane right in time. It was realy in interesting mood. Than finaly I came out and was looking for my checkpoint "Beluga" airport. I was a little bit confused in that mist. I didn't trust my GPS until I took my map that showed me GPS was right. It happened the first time with me. A new lesson. You have a tight course in your head and do not trust the instruments, like a bloody beginner!!! Well I found Beluga and via Takeetna I flew in 4-6000' direkt to Fairbanks to land then in beautifull weather at our strip.
1f917.png

39900386_2216992004981757_7759147162285375488_o.jpg

Back