• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Big dog in a PA18. Is it possible?

Ington6

Hi guys.
im not currently a SC owner but am searching. I have a big 80 lb dog that likes to ride along with me at all times. I’m wondering how reasonable is a SC for my missions if they include a big dog and sometimes a 115 lb lady? Should I just come to reality and start looking at -12s instead? Or maybe a Pacer? I would love the Cub but the other two in my life always want to come along. Thank you in advance for your advice

Hi guys.
im not currently a SC owner but am searching. I have a big 80 lb dog that likes to ride along with me at all times. I’m wondering how reasonable is a SC for my missions if they include a big dog and sometimes a 115 lb lady? Should I just come to reality and start looking at -12s instead? Or maybe a Pacer? I would love the Cub but the other two in my life always want to come along. Thank you in advance for your advice

FWIW........I hunt with my vet here in SD and we load up two labs ( one 50# and one 75#) on our trips......but I have ext. baggage.
One dog and a pax should be no problem.

FWIW........I hunt with my vet here in SD and we load up two labs ( one 50# and one 75#) on our trips......but I have ext. baggage.
One dog and a pax should be no problem.

music to my ears. I could always install ext baggage. I just thought there was a 50lb limit on the baggage.

Whoa….first a few questions:

Does the subject Super Cub have the 2000 pound gross weight kit installed?

Second, Does said SC have the third seat conversion installed? Stock baggage may not be rated for 80 lb dog. Extended baggage certainly is not.

Third, You need to figure a weight and balance, using your ACTUAL weight, and your passengers ACTUAL weight, plus that 80 pound pup, of course, plus the fuel and gear required for the flight, and see where the gross weight and CG winds up.

These kinds of questions are often posted on forums, but are impossible to answer at least legally, without more information. If your proposed Cub doesn’t have the GW increase, two people of even moderate weight and an 80 pound dog with much gas probably won’t be legal.

Etc.

Finally, in my earlier years, I owned a PA-12, and my companion (who loved to fly) was a 110 pound Chesapeake Retriever. As a young person, getting that big dog in the back seat took some serious lifting. Even getting an 80 pound lab into a cub safely will involve some minor gymnastics.

If twer me, I’d be looking at a bit larger plane, in other words.

MTV

It’ll depend on your dog’s agility. In my old -12 wife and 65# dog shared the back seat. That dog could leap in easily and could have leaped over the back seat into the baggage area but she had no interest in that. For wife's sake we tried to keep the dog out of the river, mud puddles, dead fish, etc but that didn't always work out. ;) My current 75# dog is equally athletic but there’s no need to jump high. My baggage door is sized appropriately for a big dog even as they age and their springs wear out. This guy has grown since this pic was taken. I tie him short of being able to get into the rear seat, because he would if he could.

Attachments

• F478F3FA-1CE8-4068-B841-402F15CF7E64.jpg
    F478F3FA-1CE8-4068-B841-402F15CF7E64.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
It’ll depend on your dog’s agility. In my old -12 wife and 65# dog shared the back seat. That dog could leap in easily and could have leaped over the back seat into the baggage area but she had no interest in that. For wife's sake we tried to keep the dog out of the river, mud puddles, dead fish, etc but that didn't always work out. ;) My current 75# dog is equally athletic but there’s no need to jump high. My baggage door is sized appropriately for a big dog even as they age and their springs wear out. This guy has grown since this pic was taken. I tie him short of being able to get into the rear seat, because he would if her could.

great setup. What is your current ride?

Fwiw:
My dog loves the bed if my pickup, goes everywhere with me.
Airplane, not so much. Trembles and nervously pants the whole time .
That was in a Maule, easy loading, plenty of room.
Confines of a Cub combined with difficult loading may not be to his liking.
Think most dogs need to be introduced to planes at an early age, especially large breeds.
Hopefully, your dog will adapt, maybe a test ride in a plane would determine that - before basing airplane purchase on dog hauling capabilities.

Fwiw:
My dog loves the bed if my pickup, goes everywhere with me.
Airplane, not so much. Trembles and nervously pants the whole time .
That was in a Maule, easy loading, plenty of room.
Confines of a Cub combined with difficult loading may not be to his liking.
Think most dogs need to be introduced to planes at an early age, especially large breeds.
Hopefully, your dog will adapt, maybe a test ride in a plane would determine that - before basing airplane purchase on dog hauling capabilities.

Oh yup. Sorry I guess I wasn’t clear. He goes everywhere with me. Commercial flights and in my straight tail 182. I just want to be flying tail wheel and want to be landing in the backyard so I’ve been really drawn to cubs and their siblings.

0D6D479D-219B-4E7A-961F-443F597F45FC.jpg

Attachments

• 0D6D479D-219B-4E7A-961F-443F597F45FC.jpg
    0D6D479D-219B-4E7A-961F-443F597F45FC.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 112
Warning - thread drift: Flying with a Chessie? Your plane will never be stolen or otherwise molested whilst Rover is about. Those are some of the best dogs in the world - period. (I might be a little biased, growing up on the Chesapeake and retiring first time around on Maryland's fabled eastern shore)

Whoa….first a few questions:

Does the subject Super Cub have the 2000 pound gross weight kit installed?

Second, Does said SC have the third seat conversion installed? Stock baggage may not be rated for 80 lb dog. Extended baggage certainly is not.

Third, You need to figure a weight and balance, using your ACTUAL weight, and your passengers ACTUAL weight, plus that 80 pound pup, of course, plus the fuel and gear required for the flight, and see where the gross weight and CG winds up.

These kinds of questions are often posted on forums, but are impossible to answer at least legally, without more information. If your proposed Cub doesn’t have the GW increase, two people of even moderate weight and an 80 pound dog with much gas probably won’t be legal.

Etc.

Finally, in my earlier years, I owned a PA-12, and my companion (who loved to fly) was a 110 pound Chesapeake Retriever. As a young person, getting that big dog in the back seat took some serious lifting. Even getting an 80 pound lab into a cub safely will involve some minor gymnastics.

If twer me, I’d be looking at a bit larger plane, in other words.

MTV

F53780F5-790F-417D-AE3E-A8DFD61E7C4E.jpg
75 pound Golden…he loves to fly. Then again he’s my little buddy and goes everywhere with me.

Attachments

• F53780F5-790F-417D-AE3E-A8DFD61E7C4E.jpg
    F53780F5-790F-417D-AE3E-A8DFD61E7C4E.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 87
I have a platform that easily installs in place of the back seat and covers the rear stick. My wife doesn't usually go when the dogs do. The 3rd seat mod gives you 180 lb standard baggage capacity.
PXL_20210926_210012927.jpg

IMG_20200605_074424.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200605_074424.jpg
    IMG_20200605_074424.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 447
  • PXL_20210926_210012927.jpg
    PXL_20210926_210012927.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 463
My wife (120 lbs) in the back seat, 65 pound husky/shepherd cross in the baggage. Loading him in the baggage is a bit of a chore, but once he's in he settles right down.

I think it's a good idea to fly, at least for the first few times, with a passenger close by the dog who can assure him/her that all is well.

240142448_4958349624180405_2001289899431894887_n.jpg

Attachments

• 240142448_4958349624180405_2001289899431894887_n.jpg
    240142448_4958349624180405_2001289899431894887_n.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Warning - thread drift: Flying with a Chessie? Your plane will never be stolen or otherwise molested whilst Rover is about. Those are some of the best dogs in the world - period. (I might be a little biased, growing up on the Chesapeake and retiring first time around on Maryland's fabled eastern shore)

I did quite a bit of game LE work in N California/southern Oregon. He was my constant companion, inside the truck cab when dark, in the bed when light. I never had a hunter fail to ASK before they approached that truck. Waaaay better than a gun.

MTV

Back