• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaskan fowler flaps and inline engine thrust mounts

ron

Wanaka,NZ
Has anyone a combination of the above.What effect do the flaps have on the approach trim etc?

I installed the Thrustline mod and I still preferred two turns of nose down trim on landing. After installing the P STOL Flaps I do not need to touch the trim except to trim the load after I level off in cruise. Other Super Cubs I have installed the Thrustline mod on needed no trim from cruise to landing.

I have a stock wing and engine mount Cub with with P STOL flaps and also do not change trim from cruise to full flap deployment once the Cub has been trimmed for the load. The experimental Mackey slatted wing with SQ 2 ailerons I recently completed requires lots of trim as it slows and the flaps are deployed which is the main reason for electric trim on this aircraft to speed the trim changes needed.

Further to my Query, with a full flap approach would you guys say the aircraft requires much more power ? Does this situation improve stability?

Don't you have the long flaps on your Cub Ron? Those performance details sound a lot like the 110" flaps on my Cub. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has the long flaps and who has changed to the double slotted Keller Alaska flaps.

Did you install VG's with the slats & PSTOL's?
I have a stock wing and engine mount Cub with with P STOL flaps and also do not change trim from cruise to full flap deployment once the Cub has been trimmed for the load. The experimental Mackey slatted wing with SQ 2 ailerons I recently completed requires lots of trim as it slows and the flaps are deployed which is the main reason for electric trim on this aircraft to speed the trim changes needed.

Did you install from the get-go, or did you fly it some prior to putting on the VG's? I'm interested in user reports of before and after combined with the slats.

Did you install from the get-go, or did you fly it some prior to putting on the VG's? I'm interested in user reports of before and after combined with the slats.

I had the slats, VG’s and 3 hangar 17” deep Keller flaps configured on the wing at final assembly. Have 192 hours on it now and have only flown it as built so can not comment on how the stated wing would fly without the VG’s.

Back