• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mesh wing covers with spoilers

The Kid

FOUNDER
Thompson Falls
Where is the best place to buy MESH WING COVERS with spoilers? I have VGs. Is that a concern?

Ive had AK Wing Covers and Kennon. Still have the Kennons. No issues with VGs with either. I like Linda’s nylon hooks and bungees better than Kennon’s rubber balls but spoilers are bulky to stow so rubber balls aren’t as bad as with standard covers.

Mesh wing covers can have a solid strip sewn where they might contact the VG's. Install them with long sticks with hooks to reduce contact. Remove the covers from the wing rear.

Gary

Had a friend just order a full set for a Cub yesterday from
Linda.......... $1050......
Not sure if that included shipping to Dillingham or not?
I think last set of Kennons I bought in 90's were $150 from
memory! We sew a couple of open ended "spoiler tubes" on top of leading edge of any wing covers, they are still same size to pack, but when wind starts blowing you simply pull spruce limbs
Thru the open ended "spoiler tubes" to expand the tubes
and your all set for a big blow. Some guys use foam swimming doodles to expand them and that works too!
Still using old set of Cunninghams Covers, Arlington WA.( Not mesh but very high quality) going strong that are 26 years old this season.:wink:

Last edited:
I'm in western Montana. Do I still want mesh or solid covers with an air vent? I would think our snow is wetter than in Alaska as our winter temps are higher? I have BLR VGs too but I'd like the spoilers if they don't screw them up

Do you park outdoors in the wind on a regular basis? Solid covers do a better job of keeping the wings ice-free. The only reason to add vents or mesh is to reduce them flapping in the wind. If you’re near the plane the best plan is to remove covers in the wind. If you park outdoors on a regular basis? Mesh covers will disappoint. Have a deicing plan if you want to fly.

I had Kennon wing and engine covers with spoilers for my first 12. I couldn’t have been happier.

There are bulky, but that’s exactly the type of cargo the extended baggage area is designed for—lightweight and bulky items like sleeping bags and such.

Here is an email thread I had with them a few years ago. Perhaps one of you talented folks will bring them back into production.

Those are a lot of great questions!

Kennon is located in Sheridan, Wyoming. We've been here since 1989. All our people and patterns are here. I think you'd be hard pressed to talk any of the employees into leaving as Kennon is a great company!

As I mentioned, 2018 is when we limited our GA line. We have patterns for hundreds of products. I don't think we have patents on any of our GA products. Any materials used exclusively for these products are no longer in inventory. All equipment used for the products are still in use for other products.

As for the other information, I'm sure I could get it for you. Is welcome a visit with you if that would help.

Regards,

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021, 9:46 AM paul heinrich <stmawr@me.com> wrote:

Could you provide a summary of what all you have there that would be suitable for restarting the Kennon line of aircraft covers? Templates, drawings, patents, materials, machines?

When was the line shut down? Are the historical profit/loss accounting records and material resources still available?

Do you think any members of the original workforce would be interested in assisting a restart and training program?

Where in the US are these items located?

Best wishes,

Paul Heinrich

On Mar 4, 2021, at 10:22 AM, Brooke Collins <brooke@kennoncovers.com> wrote:

Mr. Heinrich,

Sorry to dishearten you! The wide product line of Kennon GA products were of high quality, and I've had to dishearten many great customers with the news!

Our inventory of patterns and documentation currently resides in our attic where few of us venture. We have been looking for a home for them. I don't think I could separate out the Cub products, however. If you know someone who would be interested in the entire business, let me know. I think it would thrive. We discontinued the products because General Aviation as a business unit was dwarfed by some of our other business units.

Thanks again for your inquiry and for your appreciation of Kennon Products!

Regards,

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 8:37 PM paul heinrich <stmawr@me.com> wrote:

Your response, although appreciated, is just disheartening. Your aircraft wing, cabin, and insulated engine covers were outstanding in their design and performance. Kennon customer service at the time was also above outstanding.

It is a shame that’s such a quality product is no longer available to general aviation enthusiasts such as myself.

Do you still have the patterns and jigs for the Cub family of airplanes laying around somewhere unused? Perhaps I might know someone who could resurrect the quality of Kennon Covers and turn your old tooling and records into a new and thriving business. If so, let me know.

Best wishes in your current endeavors.

Paul Heinrich
630 232-1116

On Mar 3, 2021, at 9:06 PM, Brooke Collins <brooke@kennoncovers.com> wrote:

Mr. Heinrich,

Thank you for your inquiry. I'm afraid we limited our GA products to only sun shield sets and engine inlet plug sets back in 2018. I wish I had a suitable company to refer you to for covers, but I do not. Sorry I can't be of more help, and I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Regards,

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021, 7:43 PM 'paul heinrich' via Sales <Sales@kennoncovers.com> wrote:

In the early 2000s I bought a set of wing, cabin, and insulated engine covers from you for my Piper PA12. I believe the wing covers had some sort of anti-lift element incorporated in the design.

I recently finished building another PA12 and need another set of covers. Your website didn’t seem to list these products.

Are you still producing these types of covers? If so, please contact me with options and pricing.

Thanks.

Paul Heinrich
630 232-1116​

--
[FONT=georgia, serif]Brooke Ann Collins
[FONT=georgia, serif]Solutions Coordinator[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, serif]Kennon Products, Inc.[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, serif]2071 N. Main[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, serif]Sheridan, WY 82801[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, serif]307.674.6498 ext 102[/FONT]

[/FONT]

I have mesh and solid and swap them as needed. Mesh is good for cold and dry snow. If snow is wet I sweep wing pull mesh cover off the wing shake it out and put it back on. That works pretty good. Or I just put solid on and take mesh home and dry them out. I have been keeping an eye on the vented solid covers on some neighboring planes and have been impressed. When my solids wear out I will likely replace with solid with mesh vent. All that being said, for an airplane that lives outside and not able to check on plane everyday. First choice is mesh, then vented, then solid. My wife loves the mesh because she no longer has to pull them in a wind storm while I’m at work. I like the mesh because I don’t lose antennas any more when the wind partially removes the solid cover.

I have both mesh and solid made by Alaska Wing Covers, I have used them for many years, last week at Lake Hood we didn’t have the winds like Palmer but got to mid 50’s. I used both with the mesh with spoilers on top of my solid covers and never had a problem. However I did remove my tail covers.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Alaska Wing Covers have spoiler “strips” which are simply a strip of mesh with spoilers attached. They fasten with straps and weigh about 10 lbs. I think they’ll bundle pretty tight and fit in the extended baggage. I just ordered some last week for camping and going places where I might be parked outside when the wind comes up. My handy son-in-law offered to sew me some and insert swimming pool noodles but AWC charges a reasonable price and he has enough to keep him busy. $325 a pair plus shipping, discounts for military and cash. They’re several weeks out due to supply chain issues.

I just checked their new website and there isn’t a picture of these strips but it is on the price list drop down.

The straps run between VGs so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Last edited:
Back