• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

.......Aqualung my friend
Don't start away uneasy.....

Attachments

• Seldovia crash, 2019.jpg
    Seldovia crash, 2019.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 287
I searched for an update on the March 2019 missing 172 near Rainy, nothing. Was the pilot/plane found?

I don't think so. When the sheep hunting starts that area will be covered pretty good, I expect if he is found it would be then.
DENNY

I knew the man that perished in that event.
I was a friend of George and still miss his great attitude. We all can learn from this.
Alex you missed the mark on some of the important details. YES a mistake was made but I think he paid for it. Charles, I suggest you stay in Vermont

just a little comment. as far as comments after the fact, theres respect but there gone,. i watched my mom die, i watched my dad die, my dad was a different breed of cat, lived life a different way, also a marine, but what a guy, 90 percent of his life was to help others. people still make remarks on both sides of the respect fence about him and i know those comments some are aimed some arent aimed at all, sort em out and leave it go. its life.

I think there are two Point Martin's in Alaska. Not sure which one this was.

Date: 05-JUL-19
Time: 21:00:00Z
Regis#: N3907K
Aircraft Make: PIPER
Aircraft Model: 18
Event Type: INCIDENT
Highest Injury: NONE
Aircraft Missing: No
Damage: MINOR
State: ALASKA
DESCRIPTION
Description: LANDING GEAR COLLAPSED AFTER LANDING ON BEACH

Plane down in Tutka Bay across from Homer:
https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/A...lane-went-down-near-Tutka-bay--512953381.html

No word yet on who or what. Ambulance just blasted out to the end of the spit.

This photo is from the web cam looking in that direction right now. Smoke in the bay and in the mountains around Tutka.

UPDATE:

No one was injured in a plane crash near the mouth of the Tutka Bay near Homer, the Coast Guard said Friday.

The de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver crashed “under unknown circumstances” as it was taking off from Tutka Bay Lodge, authorities said. It was unclear exactly when the crash happened.

Seven people were aboard the Beaver, said Petty Officer Amanda Norcross of the U.S. Coast Guard 17th District. All seven were rescued and brought back to Homer, Norcross said. No injuries were reported.

UPDATE #2 News agencies not in agreement...

One person was injured in a plane crash near the mouth of Tutka Bay, located across Kachemak Bay from Homer, the Coast Guard said Friday.

The de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver was carrying four adults and three children when it crashed “under unknown circumstances” as it was taking off from Tutka Bay Lodge, authorities said. The plane never actually left the water, said Petty Officer Amanda Norcross of the U.S. Coast Guard 17th District.

All seven people were rescued by a good Samaritan vessel and brought back to Homer, Norcross said. One person needed immediate medical assistance.

Attachments

• Smoke in bay 1157 hours July 19.jpg
    Smoke in bay 1157 hours July 19.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Plane's engine quits, he lands (safely, and without apparent damage) in an Idaho field. Big whoop right? But check it out, it appears to be a turbo prop TBM of some sort, a go fast, bringing this safe off airport landing up to an entire different level. Kudos to the pilot, even if it turns out he did something stupid like run out of fuel, he continued to fly the aircraft. This event got one minor blip in the local media, then fell off the radar, another plus for the pilot. https://www.localnews8.com/news/kif...gency-landing-in-bonneville-county/1097965876

While I applaud the landing it looks like a Kodiak, which is along way from a TBM. The wing on the top is the first hint... lol...

Was a Kodiak per FAA incident report last weekend. 2017 year. Heard it maybe was not tied to aircraft issue. So?
John

Quest, maker of the Kodiak is now owned by Daher, manufacturer of the TBM. So, technically, both the KodiAk and TBM are Daher aircraft,.

MTV

So I was right? haha... My turbo prop ID skills are not good I admit! But it did strike me as somewhat unusual, being a pretty big and somewhat fast bird, to be involved in an off airport "event" and come through it unscathed, very cool. I'm still a bit puzzled by how it received such little local news coverage, nice to see for a change, no "the pilot is lucky to alive."

We had a crop duster go down a couple weeks ago, right behind the range I live on. The non pilot print reporter stated it had "lost it's lift," unknowingly perhaps cutting right to the chase, as one way or the other he for sure lost his lift judging by the picture. Minor injuries.

Mike,
Daher has not closed on the sale for Quest yet.
Scheduled for end of the year, so for now Kodiak is not in the TBM family.
John

intel16-17tbmkodiak100-copy.jpg

https://aviationweek.com/business-aviation/daher-acquires-kodiak-100-manufacturer-quest-aircraft

Daher, the producer of TBM single-engine, pressurized turboprop, is expanding its product line with the acquisition of Quest Aircraft Co., manufacturer of the Kodiak 100, a bush plane also powered by a single Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 engine. The acquisition is expected to close by the end of 2019. Based in France, the Daher Group ultimately plans to introduce technologies and function into the Kodiak aircraft that “have contributed to the successes achieved by ...

I thought that the Kodiak appeal was partly the strait forward easy to use and maintain aircraft. Now they want to make it more complicated?

Heard a Caravan on floats went down north of Port Hardy, Some fatalities, sounds like ugly weather delayed search aircraft but the ferry was close and helped.

Enough accidents this year guys, Hunting season is almost here, lets use caution!

Already expensive, think new one with most options is at least $2.5 now. The French connection will probably increase the prices, TBM spares are pretty costly I have heard.
It is pretty cool to have the small factory in Sandpoint, ID building the Kodiak, they are built bush tough, to me far stronger and better quality than a Caravan.
John

It is pretty cool to have the small factory in Sandpoint, ID building the Kodiak, they are built bush tough, to me far stronger and better quality than a Caravan.
John
The original design approach was different. Cessna designed the Caravan to be a package hauler for FedEx with their initial order of 100 airplanes. They usually used long hard surface runways. The Kodiak was intended from the outset as a workhorse back country machine. I believe the initial intent was for missionary work.

I'm curious about the apparent rash of Icon crashes.....
is this like the rash of Cirrus crashes not too long ago?
In other words, effective marketing resulting in newbies buying them,
then crashing due to not knowing what they're doing?
(kinda like the "forked-tail doctor killer" syndrome of old)

I'm curious about the apparent rash of Icon crashes.....
is this like the rash of Cirrus crashes not too long ago?
In other words, effective marketing resulting in newbies buying them,
then crashing due to not knowing what they're doing?
(kinda like the "forked-tail doctor killer" syndrome of old)

My understanding was that this was a demo flight. One would assume that a demo flight would involve someone with some experience. At least one previous accident with fatalities was flown as a demo flight, flown by Icon’s test pilot.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the airplane, frankly, though I’ve never flown one. But their marketing early on was a bit sketchy: “A jet ski with wings”.

But, yes, I suspect there may be similarities with early Cirrus accidents.

MTV

My theory is you either have an inherent trust of airplanes and their capabilities, or you fly it like it’s trying to kill you. So many of these accidents can be attributed to believing it has the power, STOL’ness, or bad wx capability for the pilot to make it out, so they take off none the wiser.

I fly my working plane almost every day this time of year, it fits me like a well worn pair of boots and I feel that I’m one with it while working, but I don’t trust that cantankerous SOB for one second. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Back