• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best/Lightest type pump for refueling from 55 gal drums

Poor Joe

FOUNDER
P.O. Box 57 Jermyn, Pa. 18433
8FCCC872-882A-4A8F-917C-26D8399EB804.jpegEA9DE800-FF24-49AF-AB06-7A1562C6ECBB.jpeg

Last year 4 of us headed up to Northern Quebec/ Labrador area. Six drums were flown into a base camp and additional fuel was purchased at two locations, also in drums. A pump was and is required at every location for fueling so it has to travel with you. The dual action pump we had served us well with only minor hiccups. Pump, suction, discharge hose, and nozzle weighed in at around 13 lbs. I’ve spent quite a bit of time searching for lighter pumps (housings) but everything I seem to come across that’s lite isn’t compatible with fuel. If we can’t get lighter I also thought about a 12 volt fill-rite and running it off an earth-x battery pack to cut refueling time down. I’m going to test just how long it will run on a full charge. Realistically speaking I still think the diaphragm hand pump to be more reliable, less chance of malfunctioning and not relying on power but everything breaks sometime.
I’ve seen some rather cheap looking pumps out there but wouldn’t take a chance on them. Finally, taking the two style pumps(housings), making sure all the hoses and such were interchangeable wouldn’t add all that much more weight as a backup.

So my question is have I missed something out there that is lighter and will do the job required as mentioned above?
Thanks for any ideas. PJ

Attachments

• 8FCCC872-882A-4A8F-917C-26D8399EB804.jpeg
    8FCCC872-882A-4A8F-917C-26D8399EB804.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 227
  • EA9DE800-FF24-49AF-AB06-7A1562C6ECBB.jpeg
    EA9DE800-FF24-49AF-AB06-7A1562C6ECBB.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 255
My electric pump is lighter than my manual one - if you don't count the weight of the generator ;-)
A spigot for the drum, a plastc 5-gallon jerry can and a jiggle syphon would be lighter than any pump but a lot more trouble and work if you need to transfer that much fuel.
Most operators here use a manual pump with cam-lock fittings so the hose and suction can be separated to take up less space. That's what I do.
But that probably doesn't help you very much.

View attachment 47637View attachment 47638

Last year 4 of us headed up to Northern Quebec/ Labrador area. Six drums were flown into a base camp and additional fuel was purchased at two locations, also in drums. A pump was and is required at every location for fueling so it has to travel with you. The dual action pump we had served us well with only minor hiccups. Pump, suction, discharge hose, and nozzle weighed in at around 13 lbs. I’ve spent quite a bit of time searching for lighter pumps (housings) but everything I seem to come across that’s lite isn’t compatible with fuel. If we can’t get lighter I also thought about a 12 volt fill-rite and running it off an earth-x battery pack to cut refueling time down. I’m going to test just how long it will run on a full charge. Realistically speaking I still think the diaphragm hand pump to be more reliable, less chance of malfunctioning and not relying on power but everything breaks sometime.
I’ve seen some rather cheap looking pumps out there but wouldn’t take a chance on them. Finally, taking the two style pumps(housings), making sure all the hoses and such were interchangeable wouldn’t add all that much more weight as a backup.

So my question is have I missed something out there that is lighter and will do the job required as mentioned above?
Thanks for any ideas. PJ

are you in a rush to get the job done, a 12v auto fuel pump will fit in the palm of your hand, and some of them will move some product.

Nunavit
Thanks for the reminder on the cam locks. Something I had forgotten about.

Doug
Volume is important because the folks at the airports don’t leave you while your there. Getting done quickly seems to make them happier but I”LPL go back and recheck flowage rates. JOHN had a fuel bag with auto fuel pump rigged up. Worked well but was on the slow side. Thanks

I went through GPI pumps crazy fast. FillRite’s last forever. My hand pump is a Tuthill. It leaks. Rebuilt it. Still leaks. I have a couple in-line diesel pumps. Love them. Not approved for gas. I’ve stood in the middle of a fireball. I don’t mess around with gas pumps that aren’t approved for gas.

what about a hand pump for pumping up tires, connect that to the drum and pressurise the fuel out, it really doesn't need very much pressure at all, if you use a hand pump and not a electric compressor you are less likely to push too much air in and cause problems, just an idea, never done it

I have a ¾ jiggle pipe and a couple of 5 gallon fuel cans and that always seems to work, takes some time though.

I went through GPI pumps crazy fast. FillRite’s last forever. My hand pump is a Tuthill. It leaks. Rebuilt it. Still leaks. I have a couple in-line diesel pumps. Love them. Not approved for gas. I’ve stood in the middle of a fireball. I don’t mess around with gas pumps that aren’t approved for gas.

I have a FillRite on my home bulk tank, the same one for over 20 years now. 12 VDC model, 13 GPM. I have a car battery (taken out of service because it wasn't doing the job in the car or truck) that I keep trickle charged off a 5 watt solar panel. Even with those half ass components, a very small PV panel and worn out battery, it still works perfect.
I think the OP has about the best setup for his needs right now, keep it simple.

I just had a thought: I know they make low pressure but high volume light weight manually operated air pumps for rafters, to blow up their boats. They move a LOT of air, it'd be worth a try using one of them perhaps to pressurize the drum.

I just had a thought: I know they make low pressure but high volume light weight manually operated air pumps for rafters, to blow up their boats. They move a LOT of air, it'd be worth a try using one of them perhaps to pressurize the drum.

excellent idea!!! and they are super lightweight

excellent idea!!! and they are super lightweight

Could be that might not be a very good idea. Read through the thread on repairing the fuel tank, and realize you're also dealing with vaporized fuel. What are you using for a filter?

Pumped many gallons using the hand pump. Usually it was so damn cold the exercise felt good. Especially after 3 or 4 hours cramped up in the plane.

Jim

I've been considering one of these. Pump can't be too heavy as the shipping weight is only 13 lbs.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200680794_200680794[/FONT]

We used a Mr.Funnel but not always. Although to my knowledge no one found any water on the trip from dumping it is my intention to have a water separator/filter after the pump this time. Although all of the drums purchased were in excellent shape, sealed, and stored indoors it’s not an excuse for not filtering. The air transfer is not a way I want to go as mentioned. We unload 23,000 gal rail tanker cars with a mineral type drilling fluid that weighs 6.5lbs/gal through 4” hose about60 feet up into interconnected storage tanks using 20 psi of air. It works but the product takes on a different look with the air especially when the car gets low. Would think the gas/vapors could get nasty as you said.

what about a hand pump for pumping up tires, connect that to the drum and pressurise the fuel out, it really doesn't need very much pressure at all, if you use a hand pump and not a electric compressor you are less likely to push too much air in and cause problems, just an idea, never done it

I think the OP has about the best setup for his needs right now, keep it simple.

These two ideas when combined have merit. The OP indicated a desire to reduce the 13 lb carry weight.
A thought using the rafting pump, a length of hose and a spare set of barrel bungs: Rig the spare small bung to connect to the rafter's pump. Adapt the large bung to accept a barrel length of hose (to reach the bottom of the barrel) and another length of hose to reach the fuel tank on the wing. Attach a commercial ball valve to the end of the long hose for safe & convenient shutoff. The rafter's pump can be hand or foot operated, it can be placed on the top of the barrel for compactness or on the ground.
Add a bung wrench to your kit. Does this plan exceed the 13 lb restriction?

There is no electricity involved. There will be a very low barrel pressure requirement. No fumes will be generated within the barrel.

Flo-Fast pumps used to leak but I have two of their latest and they're fixed. Lotsa flow. I'm an electrical guy, but I'm not considering any more battery powered devices. Enough.

I’ve used in-line Congo pumps for fuel oil for lots of years. Great little pumps. Not approved for gasoline, though. Probably a lawyer thing? Maybe worth a try.

Back