• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Gave more than a ride today

Scouter

SPONSOR
Exeter Maine
Here are two of the neighbors kids who I gave their first airplane ride today. Their mom is a single mom who works hard and has 5 kids. There is not much left at the end of the week. I know their christmas presents last year was an orange and a box of pencils, and they were grateful for those. What I take for granted when I go flying to them was nothing else but pure magic. They said they have never been given such a gift ever. The little one wanted to pay me with a hug, and started to cry when she said thanks. Good thing the pilot was on the ground, he was having a tough time seeing as well. Glad you liked the ride Jenny and Zowie

Jim flem.JPG

Attachments

• flem.JPG
    flem.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 428
Thank you for the reminder that we live a dream every day.

It takes a village... sometimes small things become the spark of greatness in other's lives. Their smiles are great!

That's very touching. I remember the first ride my dad gave me and it wasn't as magical as this because that's the first time i discovered my motion sickness ;-)
Anyway, it's the smallest things that make all the difference.

Those girls look like they just had the "Ride of a lifetime "

It's always rewarding to give rides when people are so apreciative.
cab44d997461a80ab06168d2f5dbc757.jpg

weasel

Thank you. I grew up in a fishing village of subsistence living. An orange was a Christmas present. Today nearly 80 years later the children go to Disneyland and Cuba or wherever their parents please. I'm grateful for the reminder.

That's a great deed and picture.

What at a contrast to the story you told in Glenn's Heimlich thread! Your neighborhood is diverse.

That's a great deed and picture.

What at a contrast to the story you told in Glenn's Heimlich thread! Your neighborhood is diverse.

My thoughts exactly! Nice work on both counts, Jim!

sj

Here are two of the neighbors kids who I gave their first airplane ride today. Their mom is a single mom who works hard and has 5 kids. There is not much left at the end of the week. I know their christmas presents last year was an orange and a box of pencils, and they were grateful for those. What I take for granted when I go flying to them was nothing else but pure magic. They said they have never been given such a gift ever. The little one wanted to pay me with a hug, and started to cry when she said thanks. Good thing the pilot was on the ground, he was having a tough time seeing as well. Glad you liked the ride Jenny and Zowie

JimView attachment 28031
I know the calendar campaign is over this year, and this picture does not have stunning vistas or in flight scenery, but this picture and the accompanying story deserves a page in next year's calendar. After all, it says an awful lot about the quality of the people associated with this site. Good job Jim!

JimView attachment 28031
Excellant! A great deed! You know often we help people that can in turn help us. These kids can't return the favor but their smiles say it all!
My dad, in about 1980, took a little next door neighbour boy flying in his Citabria- I think the boy was 7 years old. He was hooked. Today that "little fella" is a Twin Otter, 737, and 727 maintenance engineer, has his own grass strip and a 172.
You never know.
Great post, thanks!
Roddy

Thanks everyone. It wasnt my intent to draw any attention to me, it was as magic for me as them, to see the look on their faces when we cleared the trees. They come from a wonderful family, the mom is the hardest working woman I know. The dresses they have on have been handed down at least a couple times and you wont hear a peep from them. They are being brought up right.

I have gotten to the point I enjoy the "human interest" stories on this site more than the technical stuff. Now if you have missed the last 2 airline flights from Detroit to Bangor Maine and the hotels are full, the threads of Bill Rusk rags to riches to rags to riches is a great way to spend the night reading on the terminal floor, and inspirational motivating as well. But I really enjoy as much Eric Hutchins stories and pix with his Dad hunting, Mike Vivion stories and pix of burying his plane in the snow and sleeping out at minus 20, The weekend jaunts and pix of the Cooperstown glass man, and Irishfields story of his daughters courage. Those are the things I really like to see, and hope to start doing some more of my own "stories" Lets see some of your own.
Jim

Last edited:
Back