• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anti Splat Aero Question

stewartb

Looking for pireps. Anyone using the Anti Splat crankcase vacuum kit? If so, are you using it with or without the oil separator? Hoping for actual experience feedback. The vacuum kit is a very interesting idea. Similar to the Carbon Cub breather. I’m curious about coking potential and whether the oil condenser reduces it.

Thanks.

I run it on mine Stewart. So does Tom Hudzinsky. Neither one of us run the PCV valve. It works great and keeps the belly clean, just have to make sure and clean out the carbon build up. I usually clean mine at every oil change. Ours run straight out of the crankcase vent to the exhaust, so I can’t comment on the oil water separator. Ron

Thanks. Are you using the safety line with the pop-off valve? I have a kit in hand. Was surprised that the install instructions are all about connecting to a separator.

We both ran that for a while, but it seems to leak and makes a mess on the belly. We eliminated it.

Like I said I have the vacuum kit and now I went ahead and ordered the separator. I figure to start with the complete system and work backwards from there, although I’ll probably collect the condensed oil instead of returning it to the engine. That’ll let me monitor oil loss in the breather with and without the vacuum. I may end up where you guys are but I want to see if the vacuum in the crankcase works as advertised.

Like I said I have the vacuum kit and now I went ahead and ordered the separator. I figure to start with the complete system and work backwards from there, although I’ll probably collect the condensed oil instead of returning it to the engine. That’ll let me monitor oil loss in the breather with and without the vacuum. I may end up where you guys are but I want to see if the vacuum in the crankcase works as advertised.

I'm looking into this setup for my O-320 A2B. What did you end up doing with the system over time Stewart? Suggestions and takeaways?

I have one on my Carbon Cub EX2 (Titan 340). I installed it (April 2022) to see if it made any difference on my excess oil consumption. I can't tell much difference. I'm about to temporarily rig up a a catch bottle to see how much oil it does capture and return to the crank case. I'm thinking that my oil consumption is caused by the rings not being seated which doesn't have anything to do with the crankcase ventilation.

Here is an interesting reference on oil consumption: 0320
450hrs since NEW Lycoming clyinders 6 years ago. Changed oil in June; added 6 qts 20/50 Phillips X/C.
Changed oil few days ago with 42 hrs showing on tach. It was down to 4.5 qts. Does that seam excessive oil consumption????
E

I have one on my Carbon Cub EX2 (Titan 340). I installed it (April 2022) to see if it made any difference on my excess oil consumption. I can't tell much difference. I'm about to temporarily rig up a a catch bottle to see how much oil it does capture and return to the crank case. I'm thinking that my oil consumption is caused by the rings not being seated which doesn't have anything to do with the crankcase ventilation.

Your CC already had the breather outlet in the exhaust collector, right? Did you re-use that position to install the Anti Splat fixture and thermactor valve?

Back