• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float Plugs New Design

Popular product here. Never used them but I see lots of others have and like the no bend over to remove feature. Ravens still like the older design plugs to have something to fuss and fly away with on slow days.

Gary

Popular product here. Never used them but I see lots of others have and like the no bend over to remove feature. Ravens still like the older design plugs to have something to fuss and fly away with on slow days.

Gary

Might be better on round top floats

Glenn

I did use them keeping water from sinking a friend's float plane. They are convenient and yes curved tops probably help drain off excess rain. But there's always lake or river debris on float tops, and compartment paint and sealer parts inside. If it can get between the plug and seat they would leak. Not sure how to keep them clean and leak-free.

BTW: Putting Cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce on float plugs to keep birds from stealing them doesn't work.

Gary

Interesting. Been following the progress. Maybe from the comments here the next design should be not a just a new plug be a new cup you rivet in that sits slightly proud of the float top?? Or part of a plug that protrudes slightly proud of the float top??? No experience just thinking out loud. Changed many cracked cups....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

No bird problem, but I do have a bobcat that poops on my right float a couple times a month. I guess I need to stop peeing on my boardwalk where he climbs up, or maybe I need to.............

Glenn

No bird problem, but I do have a bobcat that poops on my right float a couple times a month. I guess I need to stop peeing on my boardwalk where he climbs up, or maybe I need to.............

Glenn

Cats will leave scent (fecal;urine) to mark territory. They also seek minerals, for example from your dried urine, and odors from fish caught from the plane. Maybe clean the area they frequent with bleach and detergent spray. Here we'd take care of the problem other ways but this is a family forum in a developing politically correct society.

Gary

Nothing is perfect, nothing will be perfect.

Sitting proud they will get stepped on and pushed into the float, sitting low collects water; ones that don't pop out once in a while can be a bugger to get out, ones that pop out get lost...

after a few thousand hours and flying daily for many summers, it is easy to just carry a spare plug or two. Seems I would loose one every 400 hours or so. Not a big deal in the world of float flying.

George, If you string some braided fish line through the ball, then tie it through the vent hole in the cup and around the hose, even if they come out you will not lose it.

Nothing is perfect, nothing will be perfect.

Sitting proud they will get stepped on and pushed into the float, sitting low collects water; ones that don't pop out once in a while can be a bugger to get out, ones that pop out get lost...

after a few thousand hours and flying daily for many summers, it is easy to just carry a spare plug or two. Seems I would loose one every 400 hours or so. Not a big deal in the world of float flying.

I discovered that bad landings blow plugs out of the cups, I haven't lost a plug in years ;-)

Glenn

Back