• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

35s; The good, the bad and the ugly.

The Kid

FOUNDER
Thompson Falls
When my 31s need replacing should a guy pony up like almost $10,000 for a set of 35s with the new light weight, Airframes made, wheels? What are the good, the bad and the uglies of 35s over 31s? Airframe says their wheel/tire combo weighs 54 lbs. Anyone know for SURE? I'll take one of my 31s off and weigh it. 10,000 clamolas is a lot of clamolas.

For me? Aside from the obvious easier rolling? AOA is worth the weight and expense.

Attachments

• 1BAF6181-CA8B-4A81-AA56-48CECFABC471.jpeg
    1BAF6181-CA8B-4A81-AA56-48CECFABC471.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 104
What is your mission for the 35's? nothing looks cooler, but if that is the only mission. I had 35's for years and then went back to 31's.

The ones I had did seem to take a lot of abuse!

sj

My mission is definite "off airport" landings on gravel bars to ridge tops. I cud use them, if nothing else from a safety standpoint, as in " I didn't notice that stump or hole" etc. It's just the weight and cost.

The new lightweight rims save around 5 lbs each. Depending on standard or heavy tread, 1 1/4 vs 1 1/2 brakes your looking around 15-20 lbs per side give or take a few lbs. More work loading that 300 lb hunter or 130 moose quarter in the back. Reports of a bit more touchdown drag that you get used to quickly, the ability to slam in just about anywhere, and roll over a lot of stuff with less airframe stress, maybe some but no huge speed loss. I think if you are landing at unknown areas, working the plane and from a general safety standpoint they would be worth it. After all it is only money. I have a set of 35s I won a few years ago and picked up the lightweight wheels at the airshow. I did not get then on this summer, but was flying a lot of family and friends so really was easier with the 31s. Really did nothing the 31s would not handle. It is more weight but if you are good enough to notice 40 lbs you should be good enough to make it work. I won't offer Motrin for that fever this morning. Plan ahead and see if you can get a set of blems, with the lightweight wheels if you don't like them they will sell fast. You are not getting any younger and you can't take it with ya. :wink:
DENNY

FWIW Kid, on the new one I’m starting that we’ve been discussing I’m going with 29s. I think our flying is pretty similar and that’s what I decided.

Stewartb, was the 59.4 lbs with the "old" 10" wheels I spose? And not the "new" lighter ones?

Standard stuff from a few years ago. I’d never heard of lighter ones until this thread.

You’re certificated, right? 35s with low pressure will soak up big hits. Once the FAA approves better shocks you can pump the tires up more to roll easier and let the shocks soak up the big hits. I don’t see any down side to 35s for guys who need big tires.

Last edited:
I went from 31s to 35s on my last Super Cub. Added 42 lbs with the older 10" wheels. So you can figure a gain of 32 lbs if those numbers on the new light weight wheels are coorect. First thing I noticed was the pendulum effect of having 42 lbs swaying under the plane. I got use to it and went into some cool, rough spots including Poison Spring in Utah and didn't even feel it. I pulled the 35s off to go to the first ArkanSTOL event and never put them back on. I like the way the airplane flies on 31s and don't normally go into asshole spots where I need 35s. It is all a compromise.

I went from 31s to 35s on my last Super Cub. Added 42 lbs with the older 10" wheels. So you can figure a gain of 32 lbs if those numbers on the new light weight wheels are coorect. First thing I noticed was the pendulum effect of having 42 lbs swaying under the plane. I got use to it and went into some cool, rough spots including Poison Spring in Utah and didn't even feel it. I pulled the 35s off to go to the first ArkanSTOL event and never put them back on. I like the way the airplane flies on 31s and don't normally go into asshole spots where I need 35s. It is all a compromise.

I noticed the same thing. It seems like on my cub with 35’s it never really got over the hump and “onto the step” it seemed like the wing was plowing. On 31’s the wing is a lot more level in flight. 160hp engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my loop around the runway with the dog I took a census of Cubs parked outside. One was on wheel skis and 850s. One on 31s. 7 on 35s. That represents those parked indoors, too. 35s are definitely the choice around here. When guys ask me why I use 35s? Because they don’t make 40s. Never going back!

FWIW Kid, on the new one I’m starting that we’ve been discussing I’m going with 29s. I think our flying is pretty similar and that’s what I decided.

Unless it's a 180/185 jump up to 31's and skip the 29's. Not a noticeable amount more drag and a much softer/more compliant tire. Weight difference is also negligible.

I bot my 31s like 22 years ago and they are bias. I assume the new 35s are radials? I run 4.5 to 5.5 in my 31 biases. So what can I expect to run in a new set of radial 35s that are more volume and therefore should be less pressure?

Aircraft weight and type of shocks are big factors. My normal weight is over 2000#. My initial flights were with 4# in the tires but I moved up to 6# and reduced the gas pressure in my shocks to compensate. The plane rolls easier now. I’ve never paid much attention to pressure. I look at how the tire squishes at the ground. A little squish is good. Too much makes it harder to roll the plane around. If you need the tires to absorb shock maybe low pressure works for you.

Heck. I can barely get into and out of my (Cessna) 180 now - and it only has 8.00 X 6's. On my old Cessna 140 (8.00 X 6 also) I used to run between 7 - 10 pounds and they soaked up a lot of bumps just like that. When I got this 180 the previous owner had 30 pounds in the doggoned things. It feels like the tires are made of concrete at that inflation. Any of you 180 guys run 8.00X 6's want to share your intended inflation?

At the purchase price of "big tires" and weight and drag, I can't imagine I'll ever get to have a set. I believe that a lot of people who do don't really use them for their intended purpose - but hey we should all be able to fly what we want if we can afford it. I have to admit they do look cool.

At the purchase price of "big tires" and weight and drag, I can't imagine I'll ever get to have a set. I believe that a lot of people who do don't really use them for their intended purpose - but hey we should all be able to fly what we want if we can afford it. I have to admit they do look cool.

It all depends on the mission. I found 26 inch ABW to be better than 8.50 for the conditions I usually see ( usually soft and sandy but sometimes muddy). I don't need bigger for the places I take my airplane but I changed from a standard tailwheel to a Baby Bushwheel after spending half an hour getting the tail out of axle deep mud.

I'd rather have 100 mph cruise on 6.5 gph than look good on 35 inch tires. Besides, I find the step up to 26 inch quite enough for my old knees.

Ok, I’ll bite. Please define what constitutes an “asshole spot.” Thank you!

I always wanted to poke around on the Brazos,just never new anything about the area.
We have a fun playground north of Possum Kingdom Lake. Fun stuff south of the dam but more populated.
PXL_20220619_144310293.jpg

PXL_20201121_203748025.jpg

PXL_20210319_231710636.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220619_144310293.jpg
    PXL_20220619_144310293.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 607
  • PXL_20201121_203748025.jpg
    PXL_20201121_203748025.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 615
  • PXL_20210319_231710636.jpg
    PXL_20210319_231710636.jpg