• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Electrical connectors ??

supercub

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate w
Is it ok to use electrical crimp type connectors from auto parts stores, or do you have to get them from an airplane parts source, like Univair or Spruce? Is there a difference? Will be used on a certified airplane.
Thanks

Is it ok to use electrical crimp type connectors from auto parts stores, or do you have to get them from an airplane parts source, like Univair or Spruce? Is there a difference? Will be used on a certified airplane.
Thanks

the airplane ones are just AMP brand that our suppliers sell here.... better quality than NAPA.. but not sure if it matters.... but I use the AMP stuff...

Auto parts store connectors are probably aluminum which corrodes readily and have plastic insulation which is toxic when burned. Tinned copper connectors with nylon insulation is my recommendation. Elecdirectdotcom is a good source

The biggest difference is that the better quality crimp terminals use nylon instead of vinyl for the insulation material. It's tougher and won't burn/smoke when heated. The best material for the ring is tin plated copper. The style I use about 98% of the time is TE Connectivity (used to be AMP) PIDG series. An example is a #10 ring size for 22 gauge wire, #36153. I use mouser.com as a source for this stuff.

Web

I use only Polar wire connectors. Great service and good pricing too. Their connectors are mil spec and are the best thing going for aircraft , boats or whatever. Buy good crimpers from them also. The cheap automotive crimpers do more harm than good. Do it right once and never have to screw with bad or weak and corroded connections again.

Polar sells nicely assembled connector kits. I keep a couple in my cabinet. The mid-range $70 crimpers work well. After all those years of NAPA terminals squeezed with channel locks or vice grips (c'mon, we've all done it!) the good stuff is a treat.

I think the main 3 things to remember about aircraft crimp-connectors are, 1. translucent is good so you can see the wire is in there, 2. one crimp is for the wire 3. the other crimp is for the insulation. If you can't see the wire coming out of the crimps into the center, or if there is not the provision to crimp both the wire and the insulation. (whether in two steps with Napa tools, or one step with "proper" tools) then you probably don't have a connector that is worthy of your plane. At least I wouldn't use less than that. The PIDG connectors as described by wireweinie have these.

I need a good set of crimpers that will not hurt the heat shrink tubing on the connectors. Any advice on that?
DENNY

I need a good set of crimpers that will not hurt the heat shrink tubing on the connectors. Any advice on that?
DENNY

Greenlee #45500 ratcheting crimper. They come under lots of other brand names. Make sure they are for insulated terminals.

Web

If you're doing any big cramps get yourself a good pair of hydraulic crimpers with a good set of dies. There are a lot of different types of crimp connectors but as Stewart said Polar Wire is a great source if you want quality. For small stuff I use the ratcheting crimpers by amp. Working in the Telecom industry for the last 35 years I have done thousands of crimps. Using good wire and connectors can save lots of money and helicopter time when you build Mountaintop microwave sites. My world is mostly 48 volt DC and 74 volt DC.

DENNY

For we amateurs Polar sells a good set of perma seal crimpers for about $35. The same brand’s strippers are under $6. Both work great.

IMG_0019.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 173
Back