• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

willow wildfire

mike mcs repair

chugiak AK
yikes that things moving.. looks close to airport as of 12:30 a.m. , June 15
20150614_2348_sockeye_akdof501282_sat_iap_8x11_land.jpg

http://akfireinfo.com

And now Sterling has a fire, too. No rain in sight. It's going to be a bad week for lots of folks. Stay safe.

Please let me know any info about the Sterling fire as you learn. Thanks.

TFR just updated, huge. From Caswell on north to Big Lake on South, Susitna River on West, Seymore lake on east. Prism shape.

Be careful for your and the firefighting aviator's safety.

See if this posts.

TFR.jpg

Attachments

• TFR.jpg
    TFR.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 230
TFR in Sterling now too. Does not sound good, hundreds of buildings at risk. Fire jumped Kenai Keys Road.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 209
OMG, that fire in Willow may have burned my home I built in 93 down as it was right off Long Lk road!!!
We sold it in 04, but hate to hear it was burned down.............

so, been thinking today.......

what is available in this day in age, to protect your (remote) property in an event like this??

thinking that now that technology is cheap & advanced, you have cheap sat text devices or even cellular(but that could get taken out by the fire/event)

some sort of controller that you can send a message to saying,"water the lawn..", or "go crazy & drown the **** out of every thing, wildfire coming", "heavy water roof & walls ", "dry out, fill emergency tanks before power is lost"

because as is the case, they don't/can't let you in to protect your stuff, you must tell it remotely,

they cut the power to the lines(if you are lucky enough to have power)... so you'd want,( might already have) 220v generator/solar/batteries?(smoke blocks solar?) to run your well/pump? if so equipped

so how to be prepared just in case?

I bet theres some landscaping stuff out their already, and farm stuff too...

I was thinking nearly the exact same thing, although I hadn't considered coping with a power outage. The technology already exists through alarm companies to essentially control most things, certainly they already have the ability to control a sprinkler system. Let's look into this as post back. :)

Cut trees around the structures. Especially spruce trees. Cut brush back as well. Anchorage hillside fire potential has driven lots of homeowners to remove trees and increase their fire buffers. But we like our little hobbit houses in the forest. I've got a bunch of beetle-kill spruce trees that appeared this year. Not a good summer for dead standing trees around the place.

May be some of you guys remember the fires we had in the BWCA in Northern Minnesota a few years back. A lot of of homes and properties were saved by watering systems people had installed on their roofs and buildings as hot ashes would fall on the buildings. Also maintaining a clean zone around properties free of brush and so forth. Not saying that is the answer as some of the video I have watched of the Willow fires looks to be pretty intense. My heart goes out to those.

The Willow fire's status has been elevated. The Big Guns are coming to help. Hopefully the predicted lightning doesn't start new fires.
http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/new-sockeye-fire-map-released-as-parks-highway-reopens/33604752
They are saying the conditions that were helping were supposed to lift and be replaced by these Dry Thunderstorms that are coming with highly unpredictable and changing winds . All I know is the Tankers and others are doing an incredible job protecting us.

Scooter emailed me a screen shot of Foreflight and a lightning cell drifting by my cabin area. I've been watching my iPad and Foreflight since. Clouds, lightning, wind, TFRs.... what an amazing tool in such a convenient package. Thanks for reminding me, Scooter!

That is an incentive for me to get off it and buy the new iPad and Foreflight . I was holding out because of my old gen 2 iPad but it is time. Since I need to stay away from Willow.

Heard on radio today, two jump planes leaving Ladd, near Fairbanks, for a fire east...

there were some reports near Tok. Can anyone confirm...?

yes they have mentioned the Tok fire at least a day or so before. It is also on the AkFire webpage along with some others.

Ok. I found it. Been out of town few days. Too darn hot n dry.

2:00 p.m. –(Tok, AK) – On Sunday the Division of Forestry responded to a lightning caused fire burning on a Tanana River island located three miles northwest of the community of Dot Lake. The Tanana Slough Fire is currently 500 acres in size. Water scooping aircraft, fire retardant tankers and helicopter with buckets dropped water on the blaze in support of the 94 firefighters working to stop the fire’s spread. Fire crews are using airboats to access this off-road fire. On Monday evening the fire management transitioned to a Type 3 organization.

Additional resources are on the way to help contain this fire, including more crews and additional fire operations staff. Fire managers are directing firefighting efforts to keep the blaze from crossing the Tanana Slough and threatening the Alaska Highway, the communities of Dot Lake and Dry Creek, scattered Native Allotments and private properties in the vicinity. Travelers on the Alaska Highway between Tok and Delta are requested not to stop on the narrow road shoulder to view the fire activity; instead, please use parking areas or pullouts where stopping is safe.
Much of Alaska is once again under Red Flag Warnings for strong winds or very low humidity through Tuesday. A Red Flag Warning means that conditions exist that could lead to new large and dangerous wildland fires. The return of hot and dry weather to Interior Alaska also means the return to high fire danger. The public is urged to be alert that the very dry fuels around their homes and communities can be ignited by just a small spark. Everyone is encouraged to use extra care during any outdoor activity that could lead to a new wildland fire.
CONTACT: Jim Schwarber, (907) 451-2704, james.schwarber@alaska.gov

Got report my cub is OK, looks good so I am staying out of the way unless someone needs something hauled.

Looks like there are companies in the lower 48 that specialize in installing wildfire protection systems (but don't service Alaska). I'm gonna give them a call and find out more.

In the meantime I found these (a place to start anyway):

http://www.waspwildfire.com

http://firebreakpro.com/wildfire-protection-systems

that wasp looks neat at first glance, cell and sat controllable...

When it is no longer safe to remain and evacuation is inevitable, the WASP units can be left behind for remote operation. The WASP is the perfect defence, making safety and structure protection both top priorities.

Scooter emailed me a screen shot of Foreflight and a lightning cell drifting by my cabin area. I've been watching my iPad and Foreflight since. Clouds, lightning, wind, TFRs.... what an amazing tool in such a convenient package. Thanks for reminding me, Scooter!

FOREFLIGHT!! Great resource.

Turn on the TFR feature.
When the shading appears over the TFR, tap in the shading and details of the TFR will come up.
A phone number to call and inform them you are entering
...also, the frequency for the area and in this case, for the temporary tower that will be operating the area.

I just returned from a flight to pick up a group "fire wise"-ing their property.

The FOREFLIGHT puts the info in an easy to find place....my smartphone.

Please be safe out there. I have another run into the area for a group of five in a couple of hours.

FireIce has some homedefense products you spray with a pressure washer. Sorry wont let me post a link for some reason, it's under property defense.

Back