• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C-85 vs c-90

68Papa

FRIEND
Chugiak, Alaska
If you had two PA-11's and all things being equal, other than one had a C-85 and the other had the C-90, would there be a noticeable difference in performance between the two Cubs? I have never flown either, and I have nothing to compare the two motors to.

Thx, RD

The performance difference is going to depend on the propeller and engine condition but all things being equal the C90 should perform better than the C85. IMO the C-90 is the sweetheart out of the small Continental lineup. Makes nearly as much power as an O-200 but at a much lower RPM. Lots of torque so you can swing a long prop efficiently.

I owned a C-90 powered PA-11, that C-90 is a torque monster compared to other small Continentals.

MTV

The C-90 has more displacement than the C-85 (201 vs 188 ci), higher compression (7.0:1 vs 6.3:1), and similar camshaft timing (within a degree) but more valve lift (0.410" vs 0.382"). With a free flowing intake and exhaust both perform well. The C-90 a bit better with the same long propeller.

Gary

but if you have a chance at a 11 with a 85 or even a 65 at your price, dont turn the other way by anymeans, not that easy to find any more. lotsa things can be done later.

but if you have a chance at a 11 with a 85 or even a 65 at your price, dont turn the other way by anymeans, not that easy to find any more. lotsa things can be done later.

That's a great point and the purpose of my original question. "Is the C-85 a deal breaker"? If I talk the Alaska guys, I'm told to wait and get the C-90 - that I won't be happy with the 85. And although nobody that has responded here is saying it in those direct terms, that is what I'm hearing - "get the C-90".

All good info!! Appreciated!!

When you'll need power is on skis or floats. And at high density altitude. But airframe weight plays in the game...a light PA-11 with a C-85 vs heavy one with C-90/O-200 will perform very well. All engines like a low restriction intake and exhaust for performance. The PA-11 isn't particularly one in my experience of owning. The same engine in another aircraft may perform better.

For example a fresh C-90 in a PA-11 with stock exhaust turned the same (I just switched props) Sen AK76-2-40 prop about 2325 static vs 2425-40 with a C-85 Stroker in my current Taylorcraft (optic tach). I have a low restriction C-150 exhaust plus low restriction Donaldson air filter oil and overhauled tight airbox (minimal carb heat leaks).

Never pass up a sweet flying airplane just for the promise of more power in a heavy dog.

Gary

"Never pass up a sweet flying airplane just for the promise of more power in a heavy dog".

That's great advise Gary. Every PA-11 I've considered is different. Some have no electric, some have too much electric.... I've looked at some that have only one 12 gallon tank, some have 2 twelve gallon tanks. There's a few that have 36 gallons. Some say they weigh 820, others say 875. I'm always suspect of documented weights. And on top of all the confusion, all of these cubs are in the lower 48...

My search continues...

That's a great point and the purpose of my original question. "Is the C-85 a deal breaker"? If I talk the Alaska guys, I'm told to wait and get the C-90 - that I won't be happy with the 85. And although nobody that has responded here is saying it in those direct terms, that is what I'm hearing - "get the C-90".

All good info!! Appreciated!!

So, are you actually LOOKING at a particular PA-11, or just "shopping"? As Gary noted above, don't pass up a really light airplane with a C-85 to buy a heavy one with a 90.

Also, check the prop ANY of these are equipped with. It seemed to me when I owned one that most folks believed that just any old prop that fit on a Continental was "approved" on a PA-11. Check the TC and look for STCs.

MTV

So, are you actually LOOKING at a particular PA-11, or just "shopping"? As Gary noted above, don't pass up a really light airplane with a C-85 to buy a heavy one with a 90.

Also, check the prop ANY of these are equipped with. It seemed to me when I owned one that most folks believed that just any old prop that fit on a Continental was "approved" on a PA-11. Check the TC and look for STCs.

MTV

Hey Mike - I am actually looking at a couple 11's in the lower 48. The one with the C-85 is an absolute cream puff, recently finished total restoration. Said to weigh 855. As it sits, it is a completely stock configuration with 12 gallons of fuel. Bring to Alaska and put on heavy gear and 26" / 29" light weight Airstreaks - Scott 3200 tail wheel - now what will it weigh - how will it fly? Still would need 12 more gallons of fuel for Alaska - IMO???

If I had my "rathers", I think I would rather have a 18-95, but they are harder to find than an 11. It's not like they are giving these little planes away either!! Without fail, everyone I've considered is between $65 & $85K. It's hard to make a good decision on any Cub when I'm in Alaska and these cubs are in the Lower 48.....

We've discussed this here so try a search for more, but with a GW of 1220 conventional and 1350 floats a PA-11 needs to be light. For a test, run your typical flight plan for distance and load package with reserves for weather. Like where would you expect to travel in Alaska with useful load and available fuel? Would you be pleased with the airplane, and how much fuel would be needed. Could you grow with the PA-11 as is, or would you need to overload..exchanging one flight error for safety to prevent another.

I'm serious about this. Don't someday place yourself or passengers in a load or range limited airplane if there are other options now.

Edit: When I had my PA-11 N333GP my needs were to fly a 200 mile roundtrip plus winds to a remote camp. The dog could go but not the wife and dog without refueling. That's reality.

Gary

"Edit: When I had my PA-11 N333GP my needs were to fly a 200 mile roundtrip plus winds to a remote camp. The dog could go but not the wife and dog without refueling. That's reality.

Did your 11 have the C-90? What were you burning per hour?? Typically can you get 5 gallons an hour or is it less than that?

Refresh my failing memory, what's the GW of a PA18-95, 1550??

I'd burn 6 on floats with the C-90 at about 85. Less on conventional gear. TCDS 1A2 for the PA-18 shows 1500 GW conventional gear, varies depending on type floats (factory approved or STC'd) if installed.

I'm using approved GW. Some don't and create issues later.

Gary

C-90. 5.5 an hour with the Stromberg. Great torque and a delight to fly.

The biggest issue I see is folks trying to morph a PA-11 into something it shouldn't be. Which turns it into something that is not such a pure delight to fly.

C-90. 5.5 an hour with the Stromberg. Great torque and a delight to fly.

The biggest issue I see is folks trying to morph a PA-11 into something it shouldn't be. Which turns it into something that is not such a pure delight to fly.

Anymore, 90% of my flying will be solo, just punchin holes through sky, mountain flying looking for sheep, or gravel bar hopping. Bad knees, rebuilt shoulders and a sore back limits my desire to pack big moose out of a swamp, but I do believe I have a few good sheep hunts left in me. I am fairly certain I can accomplish that in a PA-11, and certainly in a PA18-95.

I would love to be asking these questions about a 18-95, so if anyone knows where there is a good one for sale, I'm all ears!!

Thanks for all the input gents!

My -11 was equipped with a Marvel Carb, with mixture control. My base is at 4500 msl, so the ability to lean was nice. I flight planned 6 gallons an hour, which was conservative.

MTV

I'll chime in. I don't have a PA-11, but a Commonwealth Skyranger 185. It came from the factory with a C-85, but 40 years ago someone put in a C-90.

I've talked with other folks with the Skyrangers with C-85s. It looks like I get a little better rate of climb on high density altitude days (with appropriate leaning), no real difference in cruise speed (90 mph), and I burn around 5.5 gph at cruise.

But I tend to like to fly at low power settings getting around 80 mph at 4 gph.

It's a nice engine for my purposes, but I wouldn't turn my back on a C-85, either.

There's something fishy about a PA-11 with a "12 gallon tank". A 12 gallon J-3 tank is installed in the fuselage in front of the front seat occupant. It will not physically fit in a PA-11 fuselage.

All PA-11s came from Piper with a 17 gallon tank [NOT an 18 gallon tank]. About 9 months after production started in April of 1947, an AD was issued mandating the installation of a header tank installed in front of the instrument panel. This was due to fuel unporting from the pick up at the aft inboard of the tank when the airplane was in a long glide with less than five gallons of fuel aboard. The header tank resulted in nearly 18 gallons of usable fuel capacity for the airplane. The main tank capacity was still 17 gallons and is placarded as such. Airplanes that were produced after the AD was issued got their header tanks installed on the production line, but fuel capacity for a PA-11 is still listed as 17 gallons unless the airplane has been modified.

Regarding empty weight, our PA-11 has a C90-8F [no starter or generator] installed and weighs 775 pounds. It is the original configuration with no modifications.

There's something fishy about a PA-11 with a "12 gallon tank". A 12 gallon J-3 tank is installed in the fuselage in front of the front seat occupant. It will not physically fit in a PA-11 fuselage.

All PA-11s came from Piper with a 17 gallon tank [NOT an 18 gallon tank]. About 9 months after production started in April of 1947, an AD was issued mandating the installation of a header tank installed in front of the instrument panel. This was due to fuel unporting from the pick up at the aft inboard of the tank when the airplane was in a long glide with less than five gallons of fuel aboard. The header tank resulted in nearly 18 gallons of usable fuel capacity for the airplane. The main tank capacity was still 17 gallons and is placarded as such. Airplanes that were produced after the AD was issued got their header tanks installed on the production line, but fuel capacity for a PA-11 is still listed as 17 gallons unless the airplane has been modified.

The guy that is advertising the Cub is the grandson of the man that built and owns this -11. When I asked him about the fuel capacity, he said, "12 gallons in the wing tank, but I need to verify". I reached out to them today to verify, but have not heard back yet.

Another obs is the wing. I flew my PA-11 with both standard config, and extended with droop tips. On floats I preferred the latter, but that was after I removed the long wing extensions during a rebuild. I also added flaps which was a +20# error.

I mention this because wing area can help correct for some power differences on takeoff and climb. If the PA-11 has an 85 and you're not pleased, think some about the wing before redoing the engine and then weigh the +- benefits.

Gary

My PA-11 had the stock left side 17 gallon tank and a Biplanes, Inc 12 gallon tank in the right wing. Very nice for longer range.

MTV

The 90’os my favorite small Continental but it’s not easy to find. My experience has been that it runs smoother, performs better, and burns less fuel than the 85. Some of that is explainable and some of it may be differences between individual airplanes and engines.

I wouldn’t turn down an 85 hp PA-11 (I mean, I bought one after all…*), but if you have the option for a 90 and the airplanes are otherwise similar in quality? Get the 90. Otherwise, have fun with the 85 and do like I’m going to, which is watch for a C-90 engine to buy some day.

* Technically, mine is a J3 that dresses up as a PA-11.

—Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ours was pimped - out with -18 fuel system, tail, and flaps. It got too heavy, no useful. Still flew nice at sea level with the C90. That Sensenich 76AK-2 is what you want unless you can get approval (or you’re experimental) for a fixed CF prop…probably a Catto or MT. MTV is right, there is a lot of gamesmanship played with props on those.

The guy that is advertising the Cub is the grandson of the man that built and owns this -11. When I asked him about the fuel capacity, he said, "12 gallons in the wing tank, but I need to verify". I reached out to them today to verify, but have not heard back yet.

As other posters have noted, this sounds like an experimental/amateur built Cub with a 12 gallon wing tank installed. I can't imagine someone modifying a standard category PA-11 to carry less fuel than the original.

As other posters have noted, this sounds like an experimental/amateur built Cub with a 12 gallon wing tank installed. I can't imagine someone modifying a standard category PA-11 to carry less fuel than the original.

Nope, it's a certified 1947 PA-11. I think the young man I spoke with just did not know what the fuel capacity is. This one is hard to resist - the restoration is spectacular, but I think it is heavy as it has full electrical system. There is another in the Pacific Northwest that has the C-90, no electric and comes with Bauman floats. Say's it's 820bs on wheels...

Back