• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

Emergency call was made at 3900', 4 minutes prior to impact -

pilot error...

LAND the plane...

don't mater where,

don't mater if it's gonna get bent...

LAND the plane before it goes into spinning lawn dart mode....

if you LAND the plane you will walk away...

We used to practice power off to idle landings, and some check pilots would pull power and not give it back. Same for pick a landing spot and head for it power off at best glide speed. I admit it's been years for me since revisiting that training.

Gary

Best training I’ve received was from simply following a bunch of taildraggers around the northeast, listening and paying attention.

Something to be said for going back to J3’s for all primary students.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

to add my .02 cents to........ to pilot error ... ... LAND the plane before it goes into spinning lawn dart mode.... if you LAND the plane you will walk away... ... .. . my .02 cents = .......... "the pilot", should fly the plane ,then, re-read the emer. check list.,,,,then,they should, push the nearness bottom on his gps, and then push the Indent bottom on the transponder ,and then fly, and then fly the plane...and then maybe then use the radio...... my .02 cent,.......... hanger story ........,when i started flying "using low wing pipers (warriors) , " my flight instructor told me about one of his students. was out flying, VFR,around 4 thousand feet, under Chicago's class B. airspace . and his his engine quit , and used his radio, changed freq s, and,he called Chicago's approach control, and they talked to him , via ""two freq changes"" the airplane ended up in a corn field, with the airplane totaled ,but the pilot ok ,and the reason for the engine quitting was THE selected fuel being dry , and the pilot not switching TANKS, to the fuel tank with fuel in it "the UN-Selected fuel tank was 3/4 full. ""IE"" pilet ERROR"" /// good day / rick

This has been discussed before, maybe now a good time to refresh.
Engine out practice, though not practical for most AC, ought to be a regular thing in the cub realm.
By the engine out I mean prop stopped engine out.
I’ll occasionally approach my home field and stop the motor before entering the pattern and see how close I can get to my hangar door on roll out. Getting pretty good at it but still humbling no matter how many times one does this.
Be fun to set up a dead stick spot landing contest beside the “stol drag”
event to encourage more awareness and proficiency in this phase of flight.

….if you LAND the plane you will walk away...

Not always, even if you fly it all the way to the end.
Sometimes things just don't work out.

stearman crash.jpg

Crankshaft broke. Made for closest suitable landling site.
About 20' too low turning hard to line up with the beach,
clipped a wingtip. Pilot walked away, pax crawled.
(I was pax)

Attachments

• stearman crash.jpg
    stearman crash.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 317
Not always, even if you fly it all the way to the end.
Sometimes things just don't work out.

View attachment 46733

Crankshaft broke. Made for closest suitable landling site.
About 20' too low turning hard to line up with the beach,
clipped a wingtip. Pilot walked away, pax crawled.
(I was pax)
Walk away refers to not dying I think. I walked away from a mid-air, not far but I walked. The other guy wasn't so lucky. You can read all the NTSB reports you want but I will tell you from personal experience thay aren't always right or even close to right. Government employee checking boxes.

Walk away refers to not dying I think. I walked away from a mid-air, not far but I walked. The other guy wasn't so lucky. You can read all the NTSB reports you want but I will tell you from personal experience thay aren't always right or even close to right. Government employee checking boxes.

Absolutely. I was present at a couple of accident sites, both with fatalities. In both of those cases the NTSB got the probable cause absolutely wrong. In one, I arrived while TSB was still on site. When they came out with the report, I was shocked at how far wrong they were.

If it says airliner on the side, they work hard at it. A Cub? Not so much it seems.

MTV

Last checked it is innocent until proven guitly. Not the other way around as you state.

Too many bottom feeders.

In short -
Airplane crashes in 2017.
Estate sues repair station for work....
.... last performed in 2010, 7 years prior.
Judge allows lawsuit to continue instead of being dismissed, until repair station can prove they were not guilty.

https://www.aviationpros.com/fbos-t...s-to-blame-for-crash-in-georgia-that-killed-3

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last checked it is innocent until proven guitly. Not the other way around as you state.

The presumption of innocence applies to criminal charges, not civil claims.

It's a bit more nuanced in civil cases. I gather that the repair station moved for "summary judgment" dismissal. They had to show that there were no disputed material facts supporting the claim against them, and that law would not support a claim.

I haven't looked at the case at all, but probably the estate managed to gin up affidavits showing that at least one material fact was disputed. So the case proceeds.

I don't know anything about Nebraska law, but I would expect something similar in Washington would have been dismissed if the facts are as described.

Edit: oops, just noticed it was Nebraska, not Georgia.

Last edited:
Crud. That's what I get for not reading about the case. Now I see what happened. There was an initial motion to dismiss, not a summary judgment motion. Those hardly ever succeed if there is even the slightest chance there is validity to a claim.

The shop I was working in was sued for 100,000.00 because a plane took off and lost the engine.they claimed we were part to blame because we had put a starter in it weeks before. The owner of the shop fought back and after quite a while the ins. Company gave up. I believe it was shown the owner of the plane had been doing his own maintenance on the plane. Ugly business

We lost a Citabria 7GCBC's wings today in Fairbanks likely due to snow load and rear wind. A full winter's snow of at least 16 lb/sq ft and 10 mph wind. The plane had drooped it's controls for a few weeks and the rear wood spars were finally slightly bending down at the tip. Rear struts failed in two places but the jury struts and front spars remained straight. Wings twisted from the root to the tip. It's been generally unattended for several years but the local owner cleans it when notified by the airport. Pics later but what a shame.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_2560.jpeg
    IMG_2560.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
From the Prelim NTSB: "The airplane was not equipped with a tracking device, functional ADS-B, recorder devices or a GPS with non-volatile memory." Not sure what all that means if true.

no SPOT or Spider trax like device:
maybe had ADS-B, not working/turned on: because??
no voice recorder:
GPS that couldn't save where it had been:

no SPOT or Spider trax like device:
maybe had ADS-B, not working/turned on: because??
no voice recorder:
GPS that couldn't save where it had been:

Pretty much sums it up...

Saw a post on FB that the FAA had sat in on the pilot's training and check ride, (if not given the checkride).

Very sad. pay attention to what the weather is doing around you.

Flying into the mid-day sun filtered through an indefinite ceiling over flat featureless white ground, and possibly also frozen moisture crystals or snow. Don't get much tougher VFR.

Gary

Edit: Sun angle about 13 degrees above the horizon 2/6/20 almost head-on the flight. Light gets scattered and wavelength filtered through clouds and ends up "flat" yielding few shadows or terrain features like Gordon notes above. Ground is essentially flat tundra with no real trees for contrast. Visually merging cloud and ground layers are typical for that condition. Pilot per FAR 135.243 (b) and (c) may have been limited to VFR due to flight time. Deviate and save yourself or others as required in my opinion.

Last edited:
Someone flying along the Colorado River from Moab to Grand Junction yesterday.
AAF3546C-9B11-4B7D-A61A-F80D21E0915D.jpeg

Attachments

• AAF3546C-9B11-4B7D-A61A-F80D21E0915D.jpeg
    AAF3546C-9B11-4B7D-A61A-F80D21E0915D.jpeg
    636.3 KB · Views: 583
Interesting exhaust setup. Or maybe I'm not used to looking at them from that angle.

But that poor front left strut. Almost looks like someone stomped on it.

Back