• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Where would you have a super cub worked on?

Don’t worry yourself Mike I can tell it’s already above your abilities. You remind me of a local electrician we have around here, he always says how hard he works and how covered up he is, but any time you go to town his truck is at the coffee shop. It will get done in less than three years if I have to do it myself. So if you don’t have anything constructive to say keep it to yourself!

Sorry, didn’t mean to like this quote, I was scrolling on my iPhone while driving...my bad.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Ted, let us know how you feel 6 months into restoring you cub your self. These members on here are willing to offer way more help than any other site I’ve ever seen. If you have been on here for more than a few weeks, you’d realize that. With an attitude like you have, you may not get to see that, when you’re trying to figure something out on your project that someone else has F’d up in the past and Steve and mike will take time out of there busy days and nights and weekends to help someone. Every shop that’s worth a S***t with fabric and restorations is back up at least a year before they can look at what you have. I think most of these guys have seen people start projects and realize how much work there is and then bring it to them. I had a guy contact me about a j3 he bought restored. Then found out the drag wires in the wing wasn’t torqued correctly. So he paid 25k to get them recovered. Then they found out the fuselage was a mess. Fabric came off that. Then he contacted me, and I told him he is the Lovley winner of a restoration project and not a recover. Every tube was beat straight and pitted bad. The engine was overhauled, no airworthiness cert no logs for anything besides something written on a piece of note book paper. There’s recovers and there are restorations. After a couple recovers you end up needing a restoration and like everything else, you get what you pay for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer Ted, if you'd take the time to read back through some of Mike's posts, you'd realize that he's not the type of guy to go out of his way to offend someone. Quite the opposite, actually! He's one of the guys here that is more than willing to share knowledge and give advice that he isn't obligated to give. There are a few guys that post on this forum that I'll take the time to read their posts no matter the subject, just because I know I'll probably learn something, Mike is one of them. So next time, instead of getting your panties in a bunch when someone tells you something you might not want to hear, go back and read some of their previous posts just to get a feel for what type of person they are. If you'd have done that, you'd have realized that his intentions were to give you helpful advice, not offend you.

Just about everyone here has had their panties bunched a time or two (or two hundred), so take it easy on Farmer Ted, I think he has received the message!

Actually, some really good info here about rebuild times if you can read between the cranks. :lol:

sj

P.S. The forum sensitivity training classes will be offered again soon.

SJ;756881 P.S. The forum sensitivity training classes will be offered again soon.[/QUOTE said:
Nah....some a the most patient... compassionate...in treatable....***holes I’ve ever had the pleasure of striking swords with! :peeper:lol::lol:

Last edited:
...This reminds me of Christina going on a tirade about getting her L21 restored in a few months and how we were all full of ****. Came out she got an IRAN. Just be sure to compare apples to apples and not oranges. There is a place for both just recognize the difference.

someone got a link to that thread???.... that's the one I thought of also....

TED
If you are trying to find a GOOD place to get it done obviously you are a year or two late in starting the process. As far as getting cub flying for next summer, pick what really needs to be done and do that one part first. Wings/motor/fuselage break the project down into three or four parts and do them as time allows. Hopefully you have not taken a knife to the fabric on the wings and fuselage at the same time. It will be a rat cub for a few years but it will be a summer flying plane and not just holding down a set of sawhorses for the next two years. I did the bottom end of my motor and painted the front metal this past winter, will do a bit of fabric work soon but was able to fly ALL SUMMER!! Just another way to skin the cat.
DENNY

Hey, I’ll be first to say I don’t know mike, but I’ve gotten quite a lot of advice and lots of pm for guys that want the work. I just dont do well with the sarcasm. If you’ve got something constructive to say I’m all ears that’s why I’m here and I really appreciate the guys that pm me and the guys with advice. But for someone to say there’s no way and I’m being “unrealistic!!” And then throw more fuel to the fire on top of that. Well I don’t need that here. So again thanks to all those that responded with advise and offers of help, the smart asses I don’t need or want.

Hey, I’ll be first to say I don’t know mike, but I’ve gotten quite a lot of advice and lots of pm for guys that want the work. I just dont do well with the sarcasm. If you’ve got something constructive to say I’m all ears that’s why I’m here and I really appreciate the guys that pm me and the guys with advice. But for someone to say there’s no way and I’m being “unrealistic!!” And then throw more fuel to the fire on top of that. Well I don’t need that here. So again thanks to all those that responded with advise and offers of help, the smart asses I don’t need or want.

Ted, Got a guy who is known by reputation in the acro community for complete rebuilds of show quality jobs. Has done 2 for me including my bush plane. Started my last one in mid summer, delivered it early spring next year. Very reasonable price and fast. You only pay for materials as the build progresses. Labor collected at completion!
pm me if ya want his contact information.

Last edited:
I think someone nailed it when they highlighted the difference between "restoration" and "Inspect / Repair as Necessary". One last caution would be that it will always be a whole new ballgame when the skin comes off. Either a "Wow, this is near perfect" surprise...it could happen...or a "Holy moly, there's a lot to do here" sort of surprise.

Without wanting to fan the flames, I suspect most good tube and rag shops are booked out quite a ways and, based on my non-internet life and some of the work I do writing nasty letters and such, I'd be leery of anyone that promises a hard deadline for work on tube and rag Pipers without seeing the skin off...whether that deadline is 3 months or 3 years.

I would offer another caution. Those shops that are not really into Super Cubs, who don’t frequent this website will quite probably leave you with a few significant gaps in your restoration. The guys that are on this website know all of the tricks we have learned and all of the little things that can be done to turn your super cub into a high-end airplane. The shops that are not on this website are simply going to rebuild it “as is” and things like attaching the seatbelts to the floor, reverse dogleg, X brace,etc may be overlooked.

I have helped a couple of people look for, and buy, super cubs and I have seen this on several occasions. They think because they recovered the airplane and put a new engine on it it’s worth 200,000 because that’s what they see on barnstormers. Then when you start asking detailed questions about the modifications you find out they don’t know anything about Super Cubs and all the possible modifications and the airplane is simply not worth anywhere near what they are asking because they did not make the appropriate improvements during the restoration.

If it is a certified super cub, and you want a really nice one, it’s going to have well over 20 STC’s.
This is somewhat depending on your mission and what you want. Perhaps what you really want is an original super cub and don’t care about all the modifications. But if you give it to a shop that does not know Super Cubs and tell them you want a really first-rate plane and restoration you may not get what you’re asking for.
Hope this helps,

Bill

Like most businesses I'm struggling to find new hires. A buddy sums it up well. The guys you want are already working. The guys not working? You don't want to hire them.

Last edited:
I just started working a a flight school last month as their only IA, we are bringing in kids fresh out of A&P school because we cannot find experienced mechanics. One kid is green but willing to learn and another was trying to look up how to find top dead center in the manual because he didnt know how...I am hoping to find someone to mentor, I pay cash and its a weekend thing when I work on customers airplanes outside of my 9-5 job.

As of right now I have gone through 3 apprentices in the last 3 years, one felt it was beneath him to remove panels and to clean parts like tail wheels so I can inspect and reassemble, another started sniffing a girl and ran off, and the last thought he was worth 60K a year working weekends. I am hoping to find someone who can specialize in antique aircraft. What I get frustrated with is the fact I am using my tools, supplies and certificate, and apprentices think they are worth a fortune.

Then you have to deal with customers who want to argue about actually doing an annual and fixing things. Why do some owners feel it is necessary to jeopardize my certificate? I am not an expert on all things aviation, but I do try to be honest and I have traveled to help someone out. Being in the business is challenging and its mostly people who make it so. Tim

Oh and I have been helping a customer build a set of ailerons for a '41 Tcraft, new spars, leading edges and a lot of corrosion clean up. We started 6 months ago and I am hoping to get the leading edges on this weekend, he did all of the clean up and corrosion removal, it was stupid crap like getting real spar varnish and resorcinol (2 month for non expired resorcinol to build wood spars) that was a very time consuming problem. Its crap like that which can eat up a lot of time. If you are just replacing parts, and covering, it is easy.

Last edited:
I'm the fortunate recipient of an Homebuilt Experimental PA-11 Light Sport Cub. I have done some improvements like a fresh overhauled engine and an ACME Suspension. The issue I am having is with my trim of the tail. Seems it trims forward, but does not stay trimmed in the higher speed range. Back trim or slower landing trim works well. I am looking for a knowledgeable Cub technician that can go over the whole tail assembly and repair and trim as required. I am in Las Vegas, NV, but can deliver within a reasonable distance.

Belle Fourche Flight Center Belle Fourche, SD.
Black Hills Aero Spearfish, Sd.
Baker Air Service Baker, Mt.

I have to revamp my last statement to just be black hills aero in spearfish, sd and Meggars in baker, mt after i flew a pa11 that bell fourche aero had just done an anual on. Bungees were so bad when you crawled out the wing stayed down. Tw assemply was wore plumb out, and there was a broken bracket on a horz stab flying wire. Thats just the things we caught. So after seeing some of that stuff i suggested the owner take it right to ted in spearfish to redo the annual. I cannot recommend belle aero now after seeing that. May be a fluke, but never the less. Hope this helps.

Dan Byker did mine in 2004. Good work. I bought the plane in 2010, so no contact with him until then.[h=4]Dan Byker[/h]
  • Shop: 712-552-2648
  • Cell: 712-441-5121
  • Hawarden, Iowa

I second Dan, he rebuilt the PA12 we have and fixed a wingtip this spring after some hangar rash during float changeout.

Jake.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back