• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cabin Vent Options

Alaskan summers require ventilation. My new project will include an Ultimate Ventilator inlet vent at pilot and passenger positions as well as an aft baggage outlet air vent to allow air to flow through and out both for fresh air and to control smells when hauling fuel, power tools, wet dogs, etc. The ultimate ventiators are expensive but they direct air flow better than any other vent I've seen for Cub plexi.

But you live in Alaska where your SC probably lives outside and probably rarely need it. I have not had any leaking issues. I do install new gasket on the vent when riveting together and on the door. Much needed when flying in Texas but I figured not so much in Alaska.

it is actually a very poor design! A man made water trap. Much room for improvement there. I'm using the little threaded side vents.

The ultimate vent story. When I officially started the exhaust business in 1990, Mr. Dean Cochran was my mentor. He was a fantastic guy and a gentleman in every way. One day at lunch he pulled this funny looking little thing out of his pocket and asked me what I thought. I looked at it and said the machine work on it was fantastic but does it work. He explained that many of the T-18s use it and thought the RV crowd might be interested. I took one and mounted it my RV-4, and it worked very well. I asked Dean to get them made but his response was "no way, I'm retired, but if you want them, take this one, get them made and pay me a royalty. I did that, and in a short time I realized a bigger model was needed as the original style was for planes that cruised in the 180-200 mph area. I took the small one had it enlarged and called it the 100 mph model. Every trip I went on, I took the 2 sizes of vents along and showed them to anyone interested. I sold a few of them but wasn't really serious about advertising them. Then one day the phone rang and it was aircraft spruce and specialty. They had heard about the vent and wanted them in their catalog. The rest is history.
the ultimate vent is made by starting with a solid billet of aluminum. They are quite work intensive, and precisely machined to make the disc articulate correctly into the wind and close correctly so they don't leak air. Yes, they are pricey, but they work well and will last a life time. They are also available direct from Clint at Vetterman Exhaust as he keeps a good supply of them. So that is the vent story-short version. I have 4 of them in my cub. 2 in front and 2 in the back. One of the neat things about them is air flow can be directed up toward your head or down toward your lap by just changing the position of the articulating disc. Hope you enjoyed the story. Larry Vetterman

A picture would be good and I could do that, however I am 900 miles away at my kids for Christmas right now. I bet Clint would go over to my hangar and do it so I will try to get ahold of him. Larry v.

Here is a pic of the ultimate ventilator with Devils tower in the background. It was about 70 degrees that day and I only needed one vent barely cracked to give plenty of cool air. This was in a Cirabria. Clint

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
This is the first I've heard of two sizes. Which is Spuce selling? How much difference is there?
Aircraft Spruce sells the large ones. Vans sells the small ones. The large ones have a 1/7/8" disc whereas the small ones are about 1"

Aircraft Spruce sells the large ones. Vans sells the small ones. The large ones have a 1/7/8" disc whereas the small ones are about 1"

Thanks XP, nice picture from WY. Anybody ever install one of these 1 7/8" ones in the swing-up door on a PA18?

Here are some pics of Larrys cub. He built a short stand off so that the vents can't contact the wing when the window is up and vents open.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 173
Larry, thanks for making the Ultimate Vent happen. I have two of the 100mph ones in my SC -- they are the best!!!
attachment.php

I don't have a picture of the one in the door but it too is down in the lower front corner like the left side one. When the door is up it is in the clear forward of the wing so no chance of interference.

Attachments

• 8031514.jpg
    8031514.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 959
Last edited:
Thank you to all of you that have the ultimate vent and also for saying good things about them. I think this web site is the best- good information and good people. I'm down in Tx for the holidays and I sure do miss my cub. Larry v.

Here's the pop vent in the right side

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• vent 1.JPG
    vent 1.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 901
  • vent2.JPG
    vent2.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 915
  • vent3.JPG
    vent3.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 899
Larry, steal Eddie's Carbon Cub and come over to Graham and play with us. He was over Saturday for BBQ. we were gonna fly and camp out but not much fun the way the wind was corking. Come see us.

Steve, that sounds like a good idea. Suppose Eddie would be upset if he knew someone "borrowed" his cub for awhile? When I get my hangar house built over here, and get my cub down here, I will get over there. Thanks for the invite. Larry v.

Just make the airplane use part of the deal for the lot. 8) Come over anytime and we will feed you some good BBQ and show you our playground.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20151122_134939.jpg
    20151122_134939.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 874
  • 20151211_174440.jpg
    20151211_174440.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 818
But you live in Alaska where your SC probably lives outside and probably rarely need it. I have not had any leaking issues. I do install new gasket on the vent when riveting together and on the door. Much needed when flying in Texas but I figured not so much in Alaska.
Do you make the gasket? If so, out of what?

Think I will keep the vent but operate it from the old Cabin heat position

Holy cow, get my sun glasses, that shiny object there is gonna blind us in the sun. I think it looks really good shined up that way. How did you do it? I just might take mine out and give them a shining. Larry v.

SJ, if this sounds too much like advertising, delete it, I will understand.
For thoses of you interested in the above vents, they are available from Aircraft Spruce. We also have them available direct at a significant discount. Clint

Spruce does not have both sizes the 1inch 200 mph 2 inch 100mph purchase Larry vetterman then high speed polish to finish

On my soon to be completed restoration I thought that the loop thru the firewall and back thru to the cabin vent was fairly poor engineering. Probably just an easy way for piper to use an existing vent. So I re-engineered the existing vent with a set of internal levers that allowed for the same cable control to push/pull thru the side of the vent housing. Works great, although there were three or four iterations of levers before it was right. I imagine I had about 4 hours in the whole affair. Wish I had taken a picture of it now so that I could have posted. Oh well...

I agree with the poor engineering. I didnt feel the need to add levers. I am OK with push to open with a 3/4 in throw.

Back