• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ANC Earthquake

We were in Kansas visiting friends when it hit. Got back Sat night. Lost some pottery and few dents in the floor but overall we got lucky. Spent yesterday and today doing early spring cleaning moving all the furniture to get the glass/ceramic pieces cleaned up. Only lost one bottle of port in the pantry. This week will be spend cleaning garage/shop/ hanger. Overall fell very lucky, this one was close and we had minimal damage compared to some others. Eagle River got hit pretty hard. I know of two places off the foundation.
DENNY

IMG_1770.JPG
That red house that collapsed(red pin) I posted, turns out to no be very far away from girlfriends house.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 234
Incredible limit of loss and damage for the entire city.

Sorry to hear you guys had losses, but the potential for devastation was unrealized; lets hope it never is!

Kudos to DOT for having an emergency plan in place to get the roads back to use quickly.

This earthquake was centered very near the biggest city in Alaska. It's a testament to good building practices, most learned by experience. Including 1964.

This earthquake was centered very near the biggest city in Alaska. It's a testament to good building practices, most learned by experience. Including 1964.

I was not meaning to detract from that at all, it is truly amazing no one was killed.

sj

Wow!

Engineering and building codes matter. We had the Nisqually earthquake back in 2001--it damaged things from North of Seattle to Olympia--most populated area of the state. I think it was around 6.8. Only related fatality was a heart attack victim.

But it took a couple of years to rebuild some of the structures. The earthquake retro-fits done in the 90s did their job on the overpasses, etc.

Get an Alaskan goldminer in there with a big dozer, excavator, loader, plus some tailings and that's what happens. And a paver to cover it up.

We got done with inspections of bridges and the railbed on Saturday. Some of the aftershocks of 5.0+ had us going back and re-looking at some so it took a while. Then we had to rebuild track.
Sunday night we moved a freight out of whittier barge service - into anchorage. the whittier tunnel needed a little work.
Late monday we sent a freight north from Anchorage to Fbks.
Lots of work but we're pretty resilient when we need to be. Fbks appreciates it as we haul most of the fuel used up there north by rail.
I have 65 hours in since Saturday morning. 18,, 18, 18 and 11
time to sleep a bit now.

2 1/2 hours with the press and I got the rails straitened out for terry’s tool box. IMG_1777.JPGIMG_1778.JPGIMG_1779.JPGIMG_1780.JPGIMG_1781.JPGIMG_0753.JPGIMG_0759.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    438.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1779.JPG
    IMG_1779.JPG
    434.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1780.JPG
    IMG_1780.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    406.7 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 251
Oh no! Is that the new 3-place holding up the toolbox?

no, his 3 place is coming over to my shop tomorrow so i can paint it..... I'm still looking for work if you hear of any projects......

I was supposed to set my booth up for it the morning the earthquake hit!!!

no, his 3 place is coming over to my shop tomorrow so i can paint it..... I'm still looking for work if you hear of any projects......

I was supposed to set my booth up for it the morning the earthquake hit!!!
Ouch!

I strapped mine to a wall, but I was mostly worried about someone leaving 2 or 3 drawers open, so they are sort of lightweight.

I'm now thinking bigger straps are in order.

Sent from my SM-J320V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Huge Kudos to AKDoT, Contractors and Railroad etc. Fairbanks can't go too long without fuel and gas. I think the electric intertie was down too. Our building in Fairbanks is on natural gas, there can't be too much of a supply there and it comes up by rail. It was amazing (and probably lucky) that more structures were not destroyed or substantially damaged. It is ironic that the worst seem to be the schools. Who else uses brick interior walls??? Anyway they seem to be making shuffling the kids around work. Things moved so quickly there wasn't much time for political photo ops even, recovery was well on the way before the politicians got there to 'help.' Nice to see that spirit is still alive.

If Anchorage keeps it up we may admit them back into the state.

If that was Massachusetts they would have milked that into a two year job.
Vermont could get that done in five years. Then put it out to bid to do again.
The state has been paving the 30+ miles of Rt 103, most of the contractors walked away in October but two stayed on till end on November, We had just gotten 20+ inches of snow and they were using brushes to move snow from the scarified pavement to lay down another layer. Right over the road salt. There are areas already failing from the paving done two weeks prior, in the snow.

These pictures are from an accident that occurred yesterday. This WAS the Mckenna Brothers nicest plow truck. My daughter drove it for two or three years during the winter. Her former co-worker is lucky to be alive....the guard rail saved his butt. This was a fresh road repair. DOT had just removed the barrier cones...the old surface was slightly raised....the belly blade caught and threw the truck off the road. My daughter tells me they haul arse though this area when plowing.
a81a68889ead0acf487fa8459e0ad3c0.jpg
fe6cea0fa6c7bca3550d2ca204feaddc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back