• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North East winter Fun 17/18

Yikes,
I was thinking he had an ice crust on his snow and would be tricky on the skis. Glad I did not go.
John

SKI PLANE FLY IN

Sponsored by EAA chapter 1576, Lyndonville VT:

COME WATCH . EVERYONE IS INVITED

The event will take place on Sat March 3rd 10AM to 2PM at Crystal Lake in Barton VT. In the case of bad weather, the event will be moved to Sunday March 4th. If the ice or snow is bad on the lake, the event will still be carried out at Island Pond (5B1) as it is not plowed. Last minute information on the event can be obtained by calling Bruce at 802-274-6121

Directions to ski plane fly in.

From Lyndonville, take Rte #5 north to West Burke and then on toward Barton. Before reaching Barton, Rte #5 runs along the west side of Crystal Lake. From the south end of the lake watch for the boat landing. Our tiny cottage is 1/4 mile past the boat landing, painted light yellow and my plane will be parked out front by 9 AM. Refreshments

Ha. I landed there with my Sportcopter and it was so muddy I slid all the way down to the bottom with breaks on. Guess I need bigger tires. Maybe time to sell my PA-11 and Sportcopter and upgrade to Cub with 31s. :)

Forgot to mention this earlier Dave, but that wasn't mud. Mud in VT/NH is what others call Spring. We just call it mud season.
That's when you need barn boots to leave the house.

What we landed on was an inch or so of thawed grass on top of frozen ground. :)

So I was putting the Cub away today when a couple of friends drove up to have a look. They then proceeded to tell me that they were driving by this sugar house out on Route 12 a weekend or two ago and there was a whole gaggle of cubs parked next to the restaurant. I acted surprised, told them I knew nothing of it! They left wondering if they could get their 180 and 185 in that field...

They left wondering if they could get their 180 and 185 in that field...

I know a couple owners that could. Probably. Lol.
The common response I get from pilots after landing is simply that the sidehill looks pretty flat until they land.

But if it was flat we couldn’t hold the slip and slide events there....

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

As soon as I mentioned a Maule goes in there, well lets just say they left with hi confidence.. something like “well, if a Maule can make it in.......”

How long is that strip? I won't go in anything less than 1000' with my 185 and have worked on 700' in my old two window 180. Side note I wouldn't do either unless I was getting paid well.

Not sure how long it is, but these two guys are real sharp. By that I mean they were just talking and not planning on going in there.... Not saying it couldn’t be done, cause back in the day I used to work a 180 out of Kenai and Dillingham pretty hard. But that was a long time ago, in a land far, far away.....

I would think a well rounded wagon driver could easily handle the field. Don't know if the friendly neighbors or the cows could handle the noise.

Glenn

How long is that strip? I won't go in anything less than 1000' with my 185 and have worked on 700' in my old two window 180. Side note I wouldn't do either unless I was getting paid well.

Our leader here landed at my strip ( 800ft ) and used half of it with his big powered 180, and flew over the first 50ft

Well, the “hayfield” is of undisclosed length, and somewhat depends on which part you want to consider landing on.
You could try next to the road, up the hill, next to the house, or sashay your way around all three.
But, that’s not highly recommended.
[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Nice hour flight up around warrensburg, lake George and Whitehall today. Good breeze blowing. A bit of ground icing. [emoji57]

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 153
Pffft! My wife goes into shorter than that with her RV-4. (...level and good approaches, not comparable to this slip-n-slide contest)

Forgot to mention - Joe, Scott and I flew over Santa's (VT06) on the way out, and Joe said he was either waving a shotgun or a big burly arm at us, so I said go ahead and land first, and if no holes appear in your wings I'll land too.

Turns out Dave Brewer and his wife... oh darn Joe, I've forgotten already... Tracy? Lisa? ... are great people, happy to have us land and enjoy their strip.

On the way home from the WAD last fall, the weather kept getting lower and lower and lower. We were trying to at least get to Keene for some lunch and to wait out the weather. We got squeezed down into the CT river valley by clouds sitting on the hills. I was eye balling Santa's as an "alternate" and wondering how we would be greeted if we dropped in. ...managed to find a route through the hills into Keene.

Lol, ok but never saw any RV' on the north slope gravel bars with rocks the size of softball and just wondering how they haul game bags (full).

Getting dug out, tough with mud underneath.

Time to go play some

Awesome riding today, nothing like virgin snow

He's one for old times Scott, home of one of the greatest flyins East of the Mississippi

3700' of grass

Amish heading home

Glenn

Last edited:
When I was a 15 year old farm hand back in 1970 freezing my butt off shoveling poop. The nice farmers wife knitted that for me for Christmas. One of my most treasured items I own.

Glenn
Well it sure looks great on you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

4239781a2a9a6189fd3c52737877f809.jpg
ad39c3338f7e2c7a91393fc3fc48e326.jpg
53231d86a250190949dd523e56098a36.jpg
f092695d14c462f510ecc17f18918df5.jpg
a

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app
ODdBQjZEMjFFMjU5NEYzM0ZGNzY6ZGYyNzgyYzE2YzY5NzY4MGUzN2ZjMGNlY2E2MTVmYzU6Ojo6OjA=
Thought of this when i seen the second picture down, just please dont use a ford.

Last edited:
When I was a 15 year old farm hand back in 1970 freezing my butt off shoveling poop. The nice farmers wife knitted that for me for Christmas. One of my most treasured items I own.

Glenn

Genn, i have a green one with black trim, doubles as a helmet, if i run across it i will post a picture, my mom use to make them. Those colors it had to be made out of leftovers.:lol:

Last edited:
ODdBQjZEMjFFMjU5NEYzM0ZGNzY6ZGYyNzgyYzE2YzY5NzY4MGUzN2ZjMGNlY2E2MTVmYzU6Ojo6OjA=
Thought of this when i seen the second picture down, just please dont use a ford.
That painting is from Marlboro Mass airport.The plane is my friend Pat Greene's
He bought it new and normally kept it in Stow at 6B6 but had it at Marlboro for annual when the artist who learned to fly there thought it would be a cool painting(Supercubs Day Off) I believe is the title.Wrecked it one night in a bad wind shear.Real lucky to survive.
KB

By the way that hangar in the background is where Dave PA11 kept his plane until moving to Crow Island.Sad the airport may be gone soon,It is the oldest privately owned airport in MA.
Lots of aircraft ended up in the chain link fence at the road.Many could not manage the 1600 ft runway.
KB

My good friend Mr Ford and company are enjoying the Florida sun, swimming in the pool, drinking my cold beer, riding around in my jeep
With no top with the warm sun on his pale skin, and touring the countryside in my Carbon Cub. ����In return for the aforementioned comforts has to bring it home, since I am up to my buttocks in mud and now snow coming and have too many balls spinning I can't find the time now to bring it up and had to seek professional help. I suspect we will see pix pretty soon. And it better be JB in a swimsuit not him
Jim

Last edited:
Back