• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 take off fuel selector position

Richgj3

BENEFACTOR
LI,NY
I’m checking out a guy who just bought a stock PA12. He needs a TW endorsement and we are working on that. The airplane has two checklists in it. One says to take off on the fullest tank. The other says use both. I’m inclined to use both unless one is empty, which ain’t gonna happen while I’m on board.

This airplane has no mods and is a Lyc 0-235

What do you guys suggest ?

Rich

Left tank if selector is L R and off only. If selector has L R and Both I would use both if there was a concern about the L tank being low. Either way, make sure the Left tank is on.

Rich, my -12 also has the original arrangement of separate on/off valves. I use both on for landing and takeoff. The only reason not to, that I can think of, would be suspected contamination in one tank.

One more thought - if on a sideslope, like a beach, the uphill one should be on, especially if the tanks are getting low. I have demonstrated (on purpose) that it is possible to make a short taxi and sucsessfull takeoff with both tanks turned off. Short trip though......

Does the 12 have header tanks?
In the factory configuration and unmolested; most 12s would have
a vertical oriented " header tank" down
by the left rudder pedal. The two original valves should be placarded
MAIN on left tank; ALWAYS ON..........
AUX on the right tank. This was because of the nature of the way the tanks were plumbed.
My PA11 had a extra wing tank added to the right side, it had to be placarded
"For level flight only". If you took off on the right tank with low fuel and climbed out very steep it would most certainly "Quit" and get very quite in the cockpit [emoji6]

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

A lot of 12s did not have header tanks. It is usually outside the cabin under the left side cowl since there is no room otherwise in the cockpit. Usually there will be/should be an on/off stopcock just aft of the rudder pedal and slightly above the floor boards. If there is no header tank better not be making long descents with low fuel. It will quit you if you have less than about an hour's fuel and are nose down.

Have fun!!!

My original 12 fuel system with 2 individual valves called for Left always on (I assume because of dual tank pick ups) and right on as desired. Seems like both during critical flight times would be prudent

There's a MAIN (left) and AUX (right) if you have two tanks and the stock setup. The valve down by your left foot is the shut-off to the engine and must be on or no fuel goes to the engine. The line from the AUX comes around behind the cabin to the valve near the trim handle and from there it is tee'd into the line from the MAIN tank. In other words, you can turn the right tank on and off, but not the left (MAIN) tank. I believe this is true whether or not there are header tanks. I have a horizontal tank one behind the baggage and a vertical one on the left side by the firewall. I takeoff and land with BOTH on. The fact that the MAIN valve is hard to reach is probably a good idea to prevent inadvertent fuel starvation from grabbing the wrong valve. It's one of my takeoff checks to look down there and make sure I haven't kicked it towards "OFF". That might suck, one supposes.

It's a hokey setup, but it works. One of my projects is to install a L/R/both/off valve one of these days.

Back