• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Icom a200

toto

Hi to all,
i need to replace my current intercom, very noisy, with a IIsx intercom, is there somebody who may provide the wiring diagram for the
ICOM -A200? the ICOM A200 and current Intercom cable are still available. I did a try R&R (remouving and Replace) boxes , but i had some issue with MIC side. all functions are proprerly working, however when the PTT ( already installed ) was pressed no modulation to the Transmitter available, ground station confirmed that carrier were received. Is there any known issues between ICOM A200 and IIsx Intercom? Is there a way to test the Mic line from the intercom?
...any help would be greatly appreciated....
many Thanks.......
toto

First steps first:
Is the A200 the radio that's been there? Or is it a new install? Are you trying to replace one IIsx with another?

If noise is an on going issue, stop using portable intercoms. Get a quality panel mount unit and wire it correctly and you'll eliminate noise issues. That being said, your IIsx should just plug into phone and mic jacks installed on the A200 harness. If you are getting carrier and no voice (I'm assuming audio works well) check to see if audio and mic work correctly in the intercom mode. If they don't, there is most likely a problem with the intercom or headset. If the audio and mic do not work correctly in transmit only, the problem is with the jack wiring. Carrier and no voice on a com is usually the mic hi and mic lo wires swapped around. If you pull the radio out of the tray and unplug the intercom, you can trace those wires with an ohmmeter, with no other disassembly required.

Let us know what you find.

Web

We tried them all.

While I am not happy with its RF squelch range, the new Garmin GTR-200 has an internal intercom that works in the voice activated mode better than anything else I have tried. It works in the Cubs with open doors, the 220 Stearman, and in the Great Lakes biplane. I think it requires a DC 13.4 or 13.x with leather muff in the Stearman.

If you go to a sophisticated, knob-controlled separate intercom, at least for tandem seating stay away from the ones with separate volume and squelch control.

And if you are in a noisy RF environment, the newer GTR-200B has even less RF squelch range. They need to fix that. Otherwise these are among the best.

Sure. I am in the back, student is in the front. I have explained the difference between squelch and volume, and the difference between pilot and copilot. In one ear and out the other.

So now I need the tower louder than the intercom - please turn the intercom volume down?

Which one do you think he turns down? Now it is hand signal time - and it gets worse when he starts fooling with radio volume.

Simpler is better, especially in airplanes.

Still, how does he know what the back seat pilot is hearing? In an open door Cub, setting the squelch with one knob is tricky - with two knobs, four times as tricky. Life is too short to fuss with all that.

Sure. I am in the back, student is in the front. I have explained the difference between squelch and volume, and the difference between pilot and copilot. In one ear and out the other.

So now I need the tower louder than the intercom - please turn the intercom volume down?

Which one do you think he turns down? Now it is hand signal time - and it gets worse when he starts fooling with radio volume.

Simpler is better, especially in airplanes.

Still, how does he know what the back seat pilot is hearing? In an open door Cub, setting the squelch with one knob is tricky - with two knobs, four times as tricky. Life is too short to fuss with all that.
It seems to me that if you are spending the best part of your day in this situation, messing with intercoms is taking way too much time.
Relocate the intercom control panel to a location where it can be reached by both pilots. OR get a gosport speaking tube.

4598%20Gosport%20tubes.jpg
bikepipe.jpg

My personal trainer has the GTR-200, as does the Stearman. Turn it on, and talk.

My personal Cub has a PM-501 and an SL-40. A single squelch knob, adjusted once on takeoff and once on landing. Bulletproof. The PM-501 is not good enough for the Stearman, and was not designed for open cockpit.

I fly a Mooney and a Citabria with the PM-1000. Two volume knobs, two squelch knobs. I see no advantage to that, evenwhen I have access to all four knobs. The intercom, in our environment, needs to be of lower volume than the tower, for both pilots. How does an instructor set that?

I guess one would have to rely on good ground instruction from the CFI and then the best judgement of their students to dial volume and squelch to their own needs.

If it’s not working, reevaluate and retrain.

Taking options away from folks (that they are very likely to encounter later) has never made much sense to me.

Hi,
pls note following:
the A200, the radio already installed,i wish to replace an intercom of different brand with IIsx one.
I did some more testing using the IIsx and found out that the issues is with the MIC side- shortly, i plugged the headset's Mic directly to the MIC input of radio and works just lovely. then a plug the Mic to intercom and connected the intercom Micline to Mic input of the radio ( same as before, keeping in mind gnd and Mic+) and here is the issue, voice can be heard over the intercom but carrier only over the radio. following, i checked intercom output line with an adapter cable, and i was able to record nice voice with smartphone, Currently, i have no oscilloscope available. Not sure if the MIC output level from the IIsx is below a treshold???

i also tested the radio output to the intercom, connection has been made from radio to line in of the IIsx, and incoming voice messages are 5/5.
Do you have some info on signal level required to modulate ICOM a200? is there any mismatch to be be adjusted between intercom IIsx and mic input? pls, feel free to suggest any other tips .
thanks
[FONT=Roboto, Tahoma, sans-serif]toto[/FONT]

You don't need an o'scope. There is a problem with the mic hi and mic lo wires. Verify that the mic hi and mic lo wires on the A200 are correct. If they are swapped, a headset will still work (as long as the jacks are isolated from ground). Mic hi should go to pin J, mic lo to pin 8. Google search for the complete wiring diagram if needed.

Web

You don't need an o'scope. There is a problem with the mic hi and mic lo wires. Verify that the mic hi and mic lo wires on the A200 are correct. If they are swapped, a headset will still work (as long as the jacks are isolated from ground). Mic hi should go to pin J, mic lo to pin 8. Google search for the complete wiring diagram if needed.

Web
Hi,
scope maybe needed to verify voice output from IIsx, i forgot to mention, that to start i connected the IIsx Mic jack and headset jack to the installed intercom (the one noisy to be replaced) pilot side, and Mic line from IIsx was modulating the A200 via old intercom, pilot and copilot both connected to the IIsx. of course there were same issues with noise and garbled trasmission. cable are not changed or replaced. Ptt is same as old configuration. i will do a full check of the pinout, and report status.
best regards

Hi, i did more testing and researching of instruction on a200 radio and i have the following:
1) Intercom works for both pilot and copilot , we could talk to each other 5/5,
2) VHF Radio voice from ground support was also 5/5
3) the only issue is still with Mic input from intercom to VHF tranceiver, ?????
tested the headset directly to aircraft plugs ( solderd female ) and with no intercom it worked 5/5,
while if intercom is plugged to the aircraft plugs, and headsets to intercom i still have issue.

- By looking the instruction manual it is mentioned that: MIC high ( just headset) goes to pin J and communication Mic high (from intercomm) goes to pin K and both have pin 8 as ground.
my concern is: what will happen if communication Mic high (from intercomm) is sent to pin J insted of pin K? and also is there a known way to adapt the communication Mic high (from intercomm) to be sent to pin J?
thanks for any tip/help/info/suggestion
toto

Hi, i did more testing and researching of instruction on a200 radio and i have the following:
1) Intercom works for both pilot and copilot , we could talk to each other 5/5,
2) VHF Radio voice from ground support was also 5/5
3) the only issue is still with Mic input from intercom to VHF tranceiver, ?????
tested the headset directly to aircraft plugs ( solderd female ) and with no intercom it worked 5/5,
while if intercom is plugged to the aircraft plugs, and headsets to intercom i still have issue.

- By looking the instruction manual it is mentioned that: MIC high ( just headset) goes to pin J and communication Mic high (from intercomm) goes to pin K and both have pin 8 as ground.
my concern is: what will happen if communication Mic high (from intercomm) is sent to pin J insted of pin K? and also is there a known way to adapt the communication Mic high (from intercomm) to be sent to pin J?
thanks for any tip/help/info/suggestion
toto

Pin K is NOT used! The mic high from the intercom is connected to pin J. Pin K is ONLY used when the internal intercom function is used (not a good idea).

Web

Pin K is NOT used! The mic high from the intercom is connected to pin J. Pin K is ONLY used when the internal intercom function is used (not a good idea).

Web
Problem solved. issued was with Mic plug, while i did all of the test with testleads on the output cable of the intercom, Mic wires, then i soldered an old (reused from shelf) a Mic plug, with different color code than i assumed for High and Low.
Thanks to all for the suuport.
tb

Back