• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel Tank Cover

In the woods
I find the spacing of the fuel tank cover screws on the drawings, 16 total, but what size screws are used to fasten the cover down? Dakota full wing kit. They sent in the wing package 10 each of -3 nut plates and 6 each U type tinnermans. This suggests 5 -10 screws for the front and rear and 3 PK's for each of the sides, is this correct? I'm also assuming that the top wing fairing will line up with the inboard screws of the tank cover? Any suggestions here are appreciated. Thanks again.

10-32 x 5/8” max. truss head phillips, front and rear. (Any longer and the screw may hit the spar caps. ) #10 PK X 1/2”on sides. This was as original.
Usually wing fairings will be just under the tank cover and just butt up to the screws. Have seen some get holes later.

A lot of people are putting nut plates on the rib flanges vs. using the tinnerman clips so everything is with machine screws. Then they don’t work loose so easy.

I thought Piper called out 10/32- 1/2" screws on the leading and trailing edge of the fuel tank cover. That is pretty unnerving to find those wallowed out craters in the top of the spar caps.

I thought Piper called out 10/32- 1/2" screws on the leading and trailing edge of the fuel tank cover. That is pretty unnerving to find those wallowed out craters in the top of the spar caps.

Yep: That's why I said "max". It seams that people will grab whatever is handy and throw in there; not thinking that it would be an issue. 1/2 is best. I just replaced a spar due to a couple of really deep gouges there; and some rib attachment screws that were drilled into the bead section on the spar. (just asking for cracks to start).

Dakota wing? I’d call Mark at Dakota.

MTV
Asked and answered really. The dimensions and size nut plates are in the Dakota Cub drawing. The rest is pure Piper. I would hate to build one of these without examples or pictures around to look at. Here are the tank covers installed with wing root fairings. Seen the fairings over the covers and screws but that is wrong and wears holes in the fairings.
20180429_145102.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 20180429_145102.jpg
    20180429_145102.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, I'm at the stage of getting the wing tank cover set up on my homebuilt wood spar wing. I have a full wrap leading edge from Dakota Cub, but I am having troubles fitting it to the spar. May have to resort to cutting the bottom "lip" off the leading edge and just carry it to the aft edge of the spar and attach it as was done on the original J3 wing. The leading edge sheet metal is actually a little bit too long , (top of spar to bottom of spar, making the D section). Being experimental, at least I have options. Jon

Stop by and take my old tank covers with you and drop em off when your done. I’ll leave them out. Working at another airport tomorrow. South end of the runway is wet, land on the north half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asked and answered really. The dimensions and size nut plates are in the Dakota Cub drawing. The rest is pure Piper. I would hate to build one of these without examples or pictures around to look at. Here are the tank covers installed with wing root fairings. Seen the fairings over the covers and screws but that is wrong and wears holes in the fairings.
View attachment 36752

Steve, what is this Dakota drawing you speak of? All I have is a 3 page rib install instruction sheet, no drawings. The two small drawings on line don't show much, mostly for rib repair.
The drawings I've been using have been the Northland and Christian's site and this area is not detailed very well.
There may be, likely is, something I'm missing but you all have answered that question well. A LOT of time is spent searching the drawings to see how things are assembled and with what hardware. I wish that was more thoroughly called out in the kit. Mike and Keith have been great at getting questions answered but sometimes it takes some time to get an answer.

Tom, if that's for me I have the hole spacing and size, it was just the fastener size that had me stumped. Thanks anyway.

Steve, what is this Dakota drawing you speak of? All I have is a 3 page rib install instruction sheet, no drawings. The two small drawings on line don't show much, mostly for rib repair.
The drawings I've been using have been the Northland and Christian's site and this area is not detailed very well.
There may be, likely is, something I'm missing but you all have answered that question well. A LOT of time is spent searching the drawings to see how things are assembled and with what hardware. I wish that was more thoroughly called out in the kit. Mike and Keith have been great at getting questions answered but sometimes it takes some time to get an answer.

There is a drawing for the 24 galoon wing tank installation.. How far along are you? I have some simple dimensions that show where the drag and anti-drag wire holes go that save a lot of time and agrivation and I think I have quite a few pictures of the 24 gallon tank install as well.

I'm ready to install leading edges. False spar and hinges almost done, trammeled and wire tensioned. Tip bow done, flap and ailerons set and lined up, tank staps in. Keith sent me measurements for the drag wire holes and they're perfect. Struggling a little with riveting the flap hinge brackets to the false spar, hard to get in there.

Use screws and nuts on that one or do it with the skin removed. The drawing I refered to is mainly for modifying an existing wing. Still has some useful information though.
1525266404082.jpg

Attachments

• 1525266404082.jpg
    1525266404082.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
I thought about this thread today.... as I had to run a tap in all those holes to clean oit the poly-goo....

Attachments

• 1F85B5ED-9CDF-49D1-8952-10B3B54EC17F.jpg
    1F85B5ED-9CDF-49D1-8952-10B3B54EC17F.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 229
Should the tank covers have a gasket or sealant around the edges? Can’t pick up anything mentioned in Univair or the L-21 Erection Manual.

1C634C3B-A8C5-4D55-9057-8129B8D642AC.jpgSaw this issue on Steve’s youtube video about common issues. Had a look at my -12 and the fairings run over the tank cover and all of the cover attach hardware are sheet metal screws into the installed nut plates ����*♂️ Is the -12 different in regard to arrangement and hardware?

Attachments

• 1C634C3B-A8C5-4D55-9057-8129B8D642AC.jpg
    1C634C3B-A8C5-4D55-9057-8129B8D642AC.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 218
Thanks Steve. I figured as much. Looking at the rear nut plates from below it doesn’t appear they sit on the spar cap and would affect that as with the -18 is that correct? Unfortunately the larger sheet metal screws someone used have opened up the holes. Will keep working the problem but might have to stick with what was in there for now.

Should these nut plates be floating or is that unnecessary? Do the nut plates need to be countersink (or flush) riveted?
Thanks for the info.
Al

Anybody have a part number for the gasket that’s supposed to go around the filler neck? There’s nothing on mine at all…

make sure you put that tank cover on correctly. had one come off and wedged between the elevator and stabilizer could barely hold the stick set up for landing the nearest hill just on final and came out. had a passenger and a load of moose had to bend everything back to get out of there

Anybody have a part number for the gasket that’s supposed to go around the filler neck? There’s nothing on mine at all…

The gasket that is used there is the same size as one that can be found at the big box store in the plumbing department. They are used between the base of a toilet and the water tank.

I'm not certain of the number of the similar aviation counterpart.

make sure you put that tank cover on correctly. had one come off and wedged between the elevator and stabilizer could barely hold the stick set up for landing the nearest hill just on final and came out. had a passenger and a load of moose had to bend everything back to get out of there

As in the entire tank cover?? Or just the filler neck gasket? Can’t imagine how you lost the whole tank cover. Glad you made it out of that one!

The gasket that is used there is the same size as one that can be found at the big box store in the plumbing department. They are used between the base of a toilet and the water tank.

I'm not certain of the number of the similar aviation counterpart.

man, I just sat down after coming back from Home Depot. I’ll check it out. Thx!

Back