• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Airports with turf and fuel

Flying Dave

NC
I am in NC and working on a list of airports that are either public grass strips with fuel or regular airports with a turf runway. Goal is to travel as far as I can without landing on asphalt. Example is from our home base to SNF or OSH or wherever for that matter. Just a fun project to see what is out there and how far I can go.

Some examples that I have found but have not been to yet...

KSMS in SC
1DS in SC
GA2 in GA
6A1 in GA
KFZG in GA
X21 in FL
M54 in TN
KBRY in KY
KMWO in OH
40I in OH

I have more and will edit this later. Anybody care to add to the list??

Fuel not listed but a great chart none the less. turf mn jpeg.jpg

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• turf mn jpeg.jpg
    turf mn jpeg.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 319
A collection of those charts would be most useful......especially if in electronic form.....hint.

MTV

Thanks for the info. I have some recurrent training coming up and once that is behind me I plan on entering this info into a google map that I will put in the first post.

Rick,
I think the correct identifier for the Greenville Airport in PA is 4G1, not 4D1 ?

Starke County, IN (KOXI), near Knox has a 3,000 x 150 ft well-maintained E-W turf strip perpendicular to the main paved N-S runway. It's wide and open enough that you can easily get quite a bit of angle into a cross wind landing. You have to taxi on pavement to get to the gas pumps on the ramp. Has mo-gas (during business hours) and two 24 hr credit card pumps for avgas. Likely right on your way to Oshkosh. Friendly place. Out of town, but there is a courtesy car.

Plymouth, IN (C65) presently has a long, wide turf area used as a taxiway parallel to the paved E-W runway. Planes with larger tires often use it to land. It can be soft at times. Plans are to tear it up and pave. Be careful of northerly winds, as there's a line of tall trees bordering it on the north side. 24 hr credit card avgas available. Several restaurants within walking distance, but there's also a courtesy car.

Jim

Florida Turf Runways with Fuel

X01 - Everglades City
X60 - Williston
F45 - West Palm Beach
X21 - Titusville Dunn
82J - Pensacola Ferguson
48X - Manatee
APF - Naples
CGC - Crystal River
X06 - Arcadia
54J - DeFuniak Springs (Dirt)
01J - Hilliard
X51 - Homestead
X58 - Indiantown
LAL - Lakeland
2J9 - Quincy
X35 - Dunnellon, Unpublished, adjacent 10-28

Last edited:
You guys should add your lists to the existing google maps and Foreflight overlay.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Daryl,

Can you elaborate on your listings of airports? I don't see obvious turf runways for those unfamiliar with each airport - Any grass is good grass on ones like x01 and x60?

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:
Daryl,

Can you elaborate on your listings of airports? I don't see obvious turf runways for those unfamiliar with each airport - are all of them of any grass is good grass?

Thanks,
Peter

With the exceptions of Quincy (designated grass landing area) and Dunnellon (as noted above), they are all Public Use and have maintained/designated grass runways, except DeFuniak Springs which has a nice dirt runway. Google “Florida Airport Guide” and download the free 2020 PDF that has lengths, fuel availability, diagrams, etc. The guide will also show a number of other great grass strips that don’t have fuel.

Thanks Daryl - I was asking for reference as I was just updating the Grass_with_Gas file, that's been passed around here before, but perhaps was forgotten about. I'm not in Florida enough to review the guide.

90% of all the above airports were already listed in the file, but I did add a few. If I still missed some let me know and I can update it.

You should be able to download it from here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vHVOcN9guPDwyQ5qiefSXeFDGDVtpNlm

Note for those unfamiliar - This is a .kml file that you can open in Foreflight and save as an Overlay Map in Custom Content. Then you can show or hide it just like with user waypoints, or any other overlay you have. Typically speaking when you receive the file via download or email, it will ask if you want to open with Foreflight, Earth, or perhaps something else. Just select Foreflight and follow any instructions. Any questions just ask.

Back