• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

NE Summer Fun

Another great SJ flyin. If you have never been you need to add it to your bucket list. Those of us in New England have one of the best playgrounds for year round flying fun. I have some midwest flying time and a little Alaska cub time and a lot in our NE sandbox. But, the valleys and hills of central Pennsylvania at this time of year when everything is as green as an Irish travel brochure is one of my favorite place to fly. Add to that the generous hospitality of local farmers and getting to fly and socialize with some great friends many whom you only get to see once a year makes SJ one of the greatest flying events of the year.
I feel privileged to fly alongside such a great bunch of misfits :lol:

Glenn

Another great SJ flyin. If you have never been you need to add it to your bucket list. Those of us in New England have one of the best playgrounds for year round flying fun. I have some midwest flying time and a little Alaska cub time and a lot in our NE sandbox. But, the valleys and hills of central Pennsylvania at this time of year when everything is as green as an Irish travel brochure is one of my favorite place to fly. Add to that the generous hospitality of local farmers and getting to fly and socialize with some great friends many whom you only get to see once a year makes SJ one of the greatest flying events of the year.
I feel privileged to fly alongside such a great bunch of misfits [emoji38]

Glenn
My feelings exactly!

Sent from my SM-T827R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I feel privileged to fly alongside such a great bunch of misfits :lol:

Glenn

Yeah---my sentiments exactly----misfits and some that still have FIRE in the belly---I love Basin Harbor but the green valleys of Pennsylvania are unbeatable---well said Glenn---keep the FUN going---Capt Cub

Those dang kids in there yellow cubs
70d52da057f7286f2dd6cdc3a6175fec.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant seem to keep my head above the water up here. Frito Lay taking 20 trailers a day right now, there must be a holiday coming up. We have shipped a million lbs a day now for a week. Somebody is buying potato chips somewhere in new england

I did duck out a tad early on Friday, the spousal unit was wanting a lobster roll. Its 20 mins to Bar Harbor by Carbon Cub.Its somewhat interesting to see the dozens of corp jets that show up on Friday afternoon in the summer. Ive seen Michael Jordans jet, Mariah Carey, and Oprah show up. Talked to Kelly Preston once, Travoltas wife. She was a sweetheart, him not so much. That place is not for a taildragger but the gateway lobster pound is across the street. I am constantly amazed they will always put me up front with the big boys. If you show up in a cherokee or a skyhawk you are banished to the GA parking, but a cub get the rock star treatment. The NetJet drivers are always trying to trade me the left side of their reproductive organs for the cub. When we got back, we had to drive them off to leave. Not sure who the pretty blond was that got out of the citation mustang, but she had fancy sunglasses and the limo picked her up at the plane step. She didnt show much interest in the cub.

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

jim

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,751
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,783
Yup, we bought a few of those bags of chips, actually a few every week for decades.

Not sure who the pretty blond was that got out of the citation mustang, but she had fancy sunglasses and the limo picked her up at the plane step. She didnt show much interest in the cub.

Her loss for sure.

I cant seem to keep my head above the water up here. Frito Lay taking 20 trailers a day right now, there must be a holiday coming up. We have shipped a million lbs a day now for a week. Somebody is buying potato chips somewhere in new england

I did duck out a tad early on Friday, the spousal unit was wanting a lobster roll. Its 20 mins to Bar Harbor by Carbon Cub.Its somewhat interesting to see the dozens of corp jets that show up on Friday afternoon in the summer. Ive seen Michael Jordans jet, Mariah Carey, and Oprah show up. Talked to Kelly Preston once, Travoltas wife. She was a sweetheart, him not so much. That place is not for a taildragger but the gateway lobster pound is across the street. I am constantly amazed they will always put me up front with the big boys. If you show up in a cherokee or a skyhawk you are banished to the GA parking, but a cub get the rock star treatment. The NetJet drivers are always trying to trade me the left side of their reproductive organs for the cub. When we got back, we had to drive them off to leave. Not sure who the pretty blond was that got out of the citation mustang, but she had fancy sunglasses and the limo picked her up at the plane step. She didnt show much interest in the cub.

View attachment 37730

View attachment 37731

jim

hang a set of these back by your tailwheel. it will stop them.https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-BULL-NUT...195435?hash=item25e72bc56b:g:Y3AAAOSw-xVaKKRE

Anyone up for a flight tomorrow? Stuart and Johns maybe

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Nice job Skip.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 242
My neighbors daughter had her graduation party at my hangar Saturday afternoon. Barefoot Dave and Brain in the he Husky we're flying past and stopped in for a swim.

Dave landing

Smokin

We had over 200 folks with a zillion kids here. 94 in the shade, the pond was hopping

Glenn

Not much shaking on Sunday for me. Kids scattered doing their own kid stuff. Wife is doing her stuff today here and there. I am left to work on her front lawn pavillion project in the heat and humidity, or mess with the carbon cub.
worked on the pavillion just long enough to say I had movement in the right direction, then its windows down to the Kennebec. Lots of gravel bars showing up South of Wyman dam.

this is the old standard, its a great spot to wade around in the river
IMG_3411 (1).jpg

I hit three or 4 more then decide to get some gas head home to pound some more nails before the wife returns and spy one more gravel beach, with about 8 girls waving at me. In bikinis. I figure they must in in distress and should stop and see
this is pretty short beach, with about 100 ft good beach, a huge swelled up spot and 100 more feet. Well, it took me 4 passes to get the speed right and timing down, but I made it for rescue purposes.
In the end, they were doing ok with one kayak dedicated to beer. party girls A few of them wanted pix taken, so sure sounds good. Mr pilot, do you want us with our tops up or down? oh my...
the girls of 100 ft beach

IMG_3416.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3411 (1).jpg
    IMG_3411 (1).jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,955
  • IMG_3416.jpg
    IMG_3416.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 1,818
You all are having TOO MUCH FUN!! Thanks for sharing.. I just had to chime in. I fly a '68 172 but know a cub is in my future, dare I say, near future? You all have opened up a world of opportunity which I didn't know existed in my back yard. I bounce between 1B1 (just south of Albany), and 8B0 Rangeley, Maine. Keep posting & hope to see you all around sometime!

You all are having TOO MUCH FUN!! Thanks for sharing.. I just had to chime in. I fly a '68 172 but know a cub is in my future, dare I say, near future? You all have opened up a world of opportunity which I didn't know existed in my back yard. I bounce between 1B1 (just south of Albany), and 8B0 Rangeley, Maine. Keep posting & hope to see you all around sometime!

Welcome, a cub will really open up your playground

Glenn

Glenn,

Thanks for the tour in the model A, pond to cool off and the bottled water. It was hot. Must have been in 90s. Climbed to 5500 on way home to cool off and it’s been years since I did that. Great view up there. I couldn’t keep up with Brian’s Husky.

Amazing country out west past Albany. Landed at NY88 on way back, but didn’t see anyone around. Still nice grass strip to land on there.

Diner was good place to stop for lunch. Fun trip out to see Brian’s deer hunting play ground. Need to have some filets after deer season. His strip has a bit of a down and side slope if landing to the north and need to get the old brakes working better if landing down hill. Maybe time for groves for the PA11.

Sunday took my single seat gyrocopter up to the 5500 altitude since it was in 90s again and what a sight just hanging out around some clouds in a seat with no doors or windows or side panels watching all the boats in the lakes below. I wanted to take a photo, but didn’t want to drop phone since no trim on the gyro stick yet. I’m not use to being up so high in open environment so didn’t climb any higher, but much different experience from being in a plane since you can’t see a wing either. It’s very odd site picture after flying in Cub... I did stationary 360s all the way back down.

Dave

Last edited:
Headed to camp to beat the heat, doesn't get much better than this with a float plane. iiAtlas this is just south of Rangeley you probably fly over my strip (ME17) on your way up. 51IA4z0LTEKBoeZkAPD0Xw.jpg

Attachments

• 51IA4z0LTEKBoeZkAPD0Xw.jpg
    51IA4z0LTEKBoeZkAPD0Xw.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 260
Welcome, a cub will really open up your playground

Glenn

Thank you Glenn! The skyhawk and I get around... but the Cub will turn the places I fly over into places I can LAND ! :up 8)

qERjM60.jpg

Headed to camp to beat the heat, doesn't get much better than this with a float plane. iiAtlas this is just south of Rangeley you probably fly over my strip (ME17) on your way up.

Douten, yes you are right! I fly right over your camp... spectacular. A trip to twitchells for a sea plane rating is on the calendar, I have a feeling the fun is just about to begin! Would love to visit you at ME17 some time. Thanks for the post.

EDIT: And my obligatory Cub post/day dreaming.. saw this neat-o cub at Great Barrington KGBR. Any of yours?

kdzbVYC.jpg

Last edited:
Back