• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying to Extremes

BC12D-4-85

SPONSOR
Fairbanks, AK.
Now he's in a SES Otter solid IFR taking ice and not quite sure of his location or ability to maintain altitude. On board are wealthy fishers and their catch of Arctic Char. The choice of potential survival food is optimal; the circumstances prior not so much. Have to wait until tomorrow to find out how he extricates them from their risky situation...again.

Gary

The astrocompass gizmo they employed might interest you Gordon. As would a slaved gyrocompass. Read the book and assess. Sorta' reminds me of Tom Corbet-Space Cadet for those alive in the '50's. Not saying it didn't happen in some form. The last pilot I knew that flew like that recently did a CFIT experiment that ended poorly.

Gary

Since a loaded Otter on floats has soooo much surface area for ice to build up on , that would have been a very short flight! I am going to guess he went to full power, T/O
Flaps and was now decending at 500fpm. He then was then barely able to maintain level flight because both wings were at verge of stalling, until the old DHC-3 broke out at 25' AGL and then it glanced off the tundra!!! That impact, knocking off ALL of the massive load of ice
The plane which had just resembled a Dehaviland "glazed doughnut" After that they simply plowed along at METO power; back to base where everyone on board consumed massive amounts of Canadian "hot buttered rums" until the still wiggling Artic Char were ready for consumption?
Just another flight for a seasoned ' bush pilot'
LoL
E

Last edited:
Since a loaded Otter on floats has soooo much surface area for ice to build up on , that would have been a very short flight! I am going to guess he went to full power, T/O
Flaps and was now decending at 500fpm. He then was then barely able to maintain level flight because both wings were at verge of stalling, until the old DHC-3 broke out at 25' AGL and then it glanced off the tundra!!! That impact, knocking off ALL of the massive load of ice
The plane which had just resembled a Dehaviland "glazed doughnut" After that they simply plowed along at METO power; back to base where everyone on board consumed massive amounts of Canadian "hot buttered rums" until the still wiggling Artic Char were ready for consumption?
Just another flight for a seasoned ' bush pilot'
LoL
E

nope, you’ll have to read the book. That WAS the ONLY story in the book that I suspect had a thread of truth, but was simply not possible. But, still fun to read and critique.

Like an 11 hour day at -60 or so, with a stop at 80 North. How do you keep that big oil tank warm as your pax explore?

Never shut down….

He’s a good writer, and I really enjoyed his discussions of the local folk as well as the flying.

MTV

nope, you’ll have to read the book. That WAS the ONLY story in the book that I suspect had a thread of truth, but was simply not possible. But, still fun to read and critique.

Like an 11 hour day at -60 or so, with a stop at 80 North. How do you keep that big oil tank warm as your pax explore?

Never shut down….

He’s a good writer, and I really enjoyed his discussions of the local folk as well as the flying.

MTV

mid I remember right he left the engine running that whole trip.

You guys piqued my interest. I just ordered the book.

Thank you

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I get a few pages done then have to stop and go for a walk to clear my head. It's worth it to make one wonder what to do if ever in similar circumstances. He put a Cessna on skis through the ice then he and wife escape the submerged plane to find nearby shelter in real cold. Apparently later in life he took to sailing and wrote about navigation. Might be another good read. Now to find out how the Otter Icebox full of fish adventure turns out.

Edit: They descend out of 10K iced up running full power @ 3-400 fpm. At DH on his CAT IIIa approach they see rocks flying by then unknown water. He turns and lands safely (sidestep maneuver approved?). Soon he's ramped on nice beach in front of some geologist's tents in time for dinner. Geeze. Well, if it's going to be a story make it a good one.

Gary

Last edited:
I just finished the book and really enjoyed it. While some of the stories may be slightly embellished ( as any good story should), I think all of them are based on real world events. Dominique's writing style is very direct and "matter of fact" feeling. And I can so very well relate to his description of the flying that it felt very real for me.

Who would like to read it next? I'll gladly send it along, postage paid, to the next person. It doesn't do much good for me sitting on a shelf somewhere.

All the I ask is that you pass it along postage paid to the next dot orger when you are finished.

Jeff

The book has been spoken for. It's all packaged up and ready for the mail tomorrow.

Add your name to this thread to be the next person to get it.

Jeff

Thanks to jrussl, i’ve just finished the book. thank you. good stories.

as per the original deal, i will mail it out to the first person who messages me with their mailing address. the deal is once you finish it, you mail it to the next requester.

Who’s up for a good adventure read?

9.FortSmith_2048x2048.jpg

422rBaychimoharbourHudson_sBaystore000438090013copy_2048x2048.jpg

422yJohnOhenakandhisdogs000438080015_2048x2048.jpg

423f000438100003_2048x2048.jpg

24Trhoughtheice_MeridianLake_2048x2048.jpg

flying-to-extremes.jpg

000436930009-1400x913.jpg

187784726_114042564134845_4512383751282788702_n.jpg

22.LacLaMartre_2048x2048.jpg

20.LacLaMartre_2048x2048.jpg

Screen-Shot-2021-03-19-at-11.10.19-AM-1400x913.png

Screen-Shot-2021-03-19-at-11.10.48-AM-1120x728.png

09cBeech18inFortSmith_2048x2048.jpg

Thanks everyone. Sodak sent it to me. I have finished the book. Fantastic stories of flying the frozen North. Who is next? Please send me your address and I will send the book on its way to the first taker.

The explanation I found for the picture of the twin otter entangled with the otter.

An early 100 series Otter. I believe I know the pilot who did this and he described to me many years ago that he had not selected the props to full fine and the early ones were not 'locked' out of selecting reverse when you twist the throttles and pull back the the gate to accelerate in reverse. Instead the props took off in forward pitch. Soon after they were set up where you could not select the power levers into reverse unless the props were set full fine.

Attachments

• 187784726_114042564134845_4512383751282788702_n.jpg
    187784726_114042564134845_4512383751282788702_n.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Back