• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

O-360 Marvin-Schebler Autofuel.

Way back in time the O-235 powered trainers fouled lower plugs weekly. We started adding TCP to the 100LL and that pretty well cleared the problem up.
The TCP would hold the lead in suspension with the lower flame temps in the low compression engines. This allowed the lead to be carried out the exhaust instead of collecting on the relatively cool cylinder head where it ran down and puddled on the lower plugs.

….What I should have asked is whether occasional use of auto fuel, but majority use of avgas, will help with lead fouling. ..

IMHO the less lead you burn, the less lead fouling you'll have.
But occasional use is kinda like taking an occasional blood pressure or cholesterol pill--
probably not gonna help much.
You'd be better off with occasional use of 100LL, but majority use of mogas.
Some folks don't like messing with jerry cans, etc,
but I've been fueling with them for so long I prefer it to screwing around at the fuel pump.
Some airports offer mogas, usually 91 or 92 octane (aka premium),
but there's usually not much price difference from 100LL.
In fact, according to airnav.com, 100LL is $5.00
at KAWO's Arlington Flight Service
vs $5.15 for mogas
My own cost is around $3.25 for 87 octane mogas, vs about $5.50 for 100LL at my airport.

Over 500 hours on my O-360-A1A with probably 90% mogas 91E0. No issues ever. Clean plugs. I only run avgas on cross country when no other choice.

Hi Bugs

do you ever have problems starting when your engine is hot?
do you have a return to tank on your injection system?
which compression pistons you running?

best regards
Heiko

Hi Bugs

do you ever have problems starting when your engine is hot?
do you have a return to tank on your injection system?
which compression pistons you running?

best regards
Heiko

Heiko,
I have never had a single incident or problem on startup related to fuel system ever. I've flown my Cub in OAT low as ~8*F and high as ~102*F. I run the typical dual pickup (Cub Crafters style) headerless fuel system. I have standard O-360 8.5:1 compression.

Interestingly Lycoming does not allow automotive fuel below 93AKI for their engines:
Consider their lawyer speak, take an engine engineered to be safe on 80 Oct fuel and now require 93 or more if unleaded, which is not available in many parts of the country. Kind of makes it sure they will not accept any warranty or liability.

Yet when a valve sticks in the guide generally due to poor material selection and aggravated by the lead content. And this suck valve takes the plane down generally with loss of life, where are they?

Where are they in valve sticking? They are suggesting via SB 338C or ? a time specific exhaust valve wobble test and if required a guide reaming. No Golden Parachute for some.

Gary

Where are they in valve sticking? They are suggesting via SB 338C or ? a time specific exhaust valve wobble test and if required a guide reaming. No Golden Parachute for some.

Gary

The major part of EX valve sticking has to do with lack of oil flow to both cool and lubricate the guide and stem.
A secondary issue is buildup of lead in the guide. This is more of an issue in low compression engines where the lack of oil flow has shows itself as the culprit with higher powered engines.

We should do a call out to those that have lived exclusively with Mogas, my experience was mostly with an O-200 which was Mogas only with a flawless experience. Glenn G has chimed in with a long and comfortable history with small Continentals.
Local people I know who have been dealing with sticking valves I have talked into hauling Mogas in, they are impressed how much better their plane runs.
This may not be for everyone and my experience for the most part was being one of the first to buy the STC back in the '80s. Today's auto fuel is not even close to the ASTM 439 that was originally specified in the beginning but there is nothing wrong with the fuel today as long as you keep the ethanol out.
The issue with ethanol has nothing to do with flight parameters but to do with the rubber and plastics used in our planes as well as any older vehicle. This pertains to hoses, diaphragms in fuel pumps and other soft parts in the fuel system.

You should look up what Ducati went through when it's fuel tanks swelled when the fuel changed, their replacement tanks failed just as quick, no clue how much that cost them.
In the race cars I build the fuel bladders were going stiff with a result of failing. At first the manufacturers changed to stupid short life cycles till the formulation of resins used was changed.
I am quite sure the bladders in aircraft would fail as well but most of them are feeding higher power non auto fuel eligible engines.

The SB 338C is just another, Their way of saying our engineers have once again F'ed up and you need to pay for it. I do not see that they have made any production changes to cure the issue.
Every batch of Lycoming crankshafts still need a material sample sent to an independent lab for material evaluation. So much for the problems being solved. There are not many companies forging the cranks and we have recently seen more cranks pulled from service.

Personally now that the Chinese are building a new Continental factory down south with a very clear statement that they are not intending to build the same product we have been living with. Get ready for a new line of heavy fuel engines for our use.

Link #2 is what I'd call a memo or informational article- certainly not regulatory IMHO.
Link #1 is a service letter-- compliance is not mandatory for part 91 as I understand it.

Curious if an FAA-approved STC (for 87 octane or 91 octane mogas) trumps the manufacturer's recommendations.

Last edited:
That Lyc service letter looks to be a study for replacing 100LL, From page 2

First, notice that we specified 93 AKI as the octane level. This octane level provided the required detonation margin without modification of our engine FAA Type Design allowances, including cylinder head temperature limits. 93 AKI is "Super Premium" fuel. That AKI rated octane is what is needed to achieve the exact same power performance on the approved engines as 100LL avgas. 93AKI is produced worldwide, but not necessarily distributed worldwide.

I have not read page 3 or later yet but our discussion for lower powered engines that were rated for 80 or even 91 oct is not the same as the need for a 100LL replacement.

as long as you keep the ethanol out.
And yet I know of people not having problems with that. Kinda like you said about auto fuel----not for everybody but for some it's OK. Definitely burns cleaner for sure.

Lycoming valve guide problem is not just sticking, but also valve guide wear issues. That is what the wobble test checks for. I agree this is aggravated by high CHT's. Lycoming came out with the wet head cylinder to cool the exhaust valve guide.
DENNY

Back