• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

N9460D 'A' model Super Cub

FYI, Reiker makes a couple different sizes of slip/skid instruments. Their relatively small height allows you to mount them high on the panel where they’ll do the most good and not interfere with other instruments.

MTV

I've been bad about updating the project here, with most of the updates going on facebook, but figured it was time.

Income for my full-time work on the project came to an end in early November 2017, so my work slowed to a drip at that point. Plus, we had essentially a 6 month winter in northern Indiana this year, so it was harder to deal with the cold than in normal years. However, I've been working on it when I can and I'm hopefully just a few weeks away from first flight at this point. Still have access covers and wing root fairing to finish up, and a boatload of paperwork.

I've been taxiing some in the last week and everything is going extremely well, once I got a leaky left brake solved. The engine only has 100 hours since major, but it didn't run much in the last 10 years. So far so good tho. Starts great and runs great.

I obsessed quite a bit about the changes I made to the original Piper paint scheme, and so far I'm very happy with the way it's looking. Every change I came up with is looking exactly like I had hoped. And the Stewart's Santa Fe Red and Daytona White are just awesome. Plus, I couldn't be any happier with what adding the flattener did to the sheen... I'm unusual in that I just don't like glossy airplanes, and the satin finish here is a huge winner for me.

I just painted the red on the rudder and cowl doors a couple days ago, these pix are from right after they were mounted. The general shape of the white on the cowl door, and the size and shape of the radius at the leading edge came out just perfect in my opinion. I'll probably add 'Super Cub' on the cowl door, but for now I'm leaving some details like that undone so I can get completed more quickly. I'm also very happy with the decision to retain the flat top and hopper door... they add a very cool element to the airplane, and the hopper door literally looks like brand new now that it's been stripped and painted.

My brother in California who owns the airplane is gonna let me keep it in Indiana until OSH so I can fly it up there. Then we'll meet there and head west to get it back home for him. I'm sure looking forward to flying this ole girl instead of working on her!

N9460D April 2018.jpg

N9460D April 2018 2.jpg

N9460D April 2018 3.jpg

Martt Clupper
Open Door Flying LLC
Warsaw, Indiana
N9460D
1959 PA-18A flat top

Attachments

• N9460D April 2018.jpg
    N9460D April 2018.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 353
  • N9460D April 2018 2.jpg
    N9460D April 2018 2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 395
  • N9460D April 2018 3.jpg
    N9460D April 2018 3.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 445
Awesome Martt. Im a bit jealous of the paint scheme. It will be great to have another flat top here in California!

Awesome Martt. Im a bit jealous of the paint scheme. It will be great to have another flat top here in California!

I hope you don't mind that I'm glad to hear you're a little jealous of the paint : )

When we get it out there around the first of August, we'll have to try to meet up if possible. It'll be over at Lakeport, in Lake County. Where exactly are you at?

Last edited:
So nice... really love the A models... I really liked the Flannagan STC for the windows but think it is really cool that you redid the hopper door and kept it "Ag"... Would love to get my hands on an "A" model project!

So nice... really love the A models... I really liked the Flannagan STC for the windows but think it is really cool that you redid the hopper door and kept it "Ag"... Would love to get my hands on an "A" model project!

Thank you for your comment... I felt right from the start that keeping the hopper door was a good idea, but now that it's nearly done, I think it's just an awesome element. It's what'll make this airplane stand out, and will make it a real conversation piece everywhere it goes : )

The good ole flat top N9460D has finally flown once again! Sunday evening I made 3 takeoffs and landings, which is actually the first time I've ever flown a Super Cub, and everything went absolutely great.

Left-Front.jpg

I had hoped to get her finished 10 days ago and then make the trip to Sentimental Journey, but 2 days before first flight the left mag stop working. Turns put that the impulse coupling had a variety of issues, but I got that repaired and got her off the ground last evening.

Right-Front.jpg

I now have a few small improvement tasks to get done between now and OSH, then I'll be flying her up there for the week, and then my half brother (the owner) will meet me there and we'll fly on out to California where he lives. Should be quite the adventure!

Behind.jpg

The project took a lot longer and costs more than expected, so I guess you could say it was right on track. I figure I had the equivalent of 13 months of full time work in it. The original plan was for 6 months, but I underestimated the amount of work (especially since I had never worked on a Super Cub before) and then we added 8 STC mods after the project started which added a lot of time. There was also several unseen damage issues that added more time. All in all, I'm pleased with the time it took to get it done. Total project duration was around 20 months because income for my work on it ended in October 2017 and I had to go back to my regular job for income.

Left-Rear.jpg

I couldn't happier that the we kept the hopper door and flat top for this airplane. It makes it really unique and should make for lots of interesting conversion.

Turning-Base.jpg

I'm hopeful I get to do another Super Cub restoration, especially a vintage feel one like this, tho would be nice to mix the vintage with bush, with some nice big tires : )

Martt.jpg

Look for the ole flat top at OSH18!

Martt Clupper
Open Door Flying LLC
Warsaw, Indiana
N9460D
1959 PA-18A flat top

Attachments

• Left-Front.jpg
    Left-Front.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 456
  • Right-Front.jpg
    Right-Front.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 521
  • Behind.jpg
    Behind.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 506
  • Left-Rear.jpg
    Left-Rear.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 533
  • Turning-Base.jpg
    Turning-Base.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 413
  • Martt.jpg
    Martt.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 418
I'm very thankful that my work earned a Lindy award at OSH18 for the best Vintage (Contemorary Class 1955-1970) single engine, 160hp or less.

N9460D-OSH-Lindy-Winner-Web.jpg

Since my half-brother owns the airplane, he actually gets the trophy, but that's ok, I know I did all the work : )

After doing a photo shoot with the EAA Cesnna 210 early Sunday morning I turned the ole girl southwest and started the journey to California. My brother isn't a licensed pilot yet (he soloed a Citabria 40 years ago) but he was along for the ride, so I was PIC, but he got about 5 hours of 'autopilot' duty in along the way.

I'll do an updated post soon with details of the route etc.

N9460D-1959-PA-18A-7.3.18-C92-Door-Open.jpg

But the ole flat top is now in California where she'll be living.

I'm looking forward to another Super Cub project, and have one potential project that might come thru here soon. I'm definitely a fan of the PA-18 : )

Martt Clupper
Open Door Flying LLC
574-551-9692
Warsaw, Indiana
N9460D
1959 PA-18A flat top

Attachments

• N9460D-OSH-Lindy-Winner-Web.jpg
    N9460D-OSH-Lindy-Winner-Web.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 406
  • N9460D-1959-PA-18A-7.3.18-C92-Door-Open.jpg
    N9460D-1959-PA-18A-7.3.18-C92-Door-Open.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 492
Congratulations Martt! Looking forward to seeing 60D out here on the left coast.

Thank you : )

We were headed for Lake County but the fires pushed us down to Petaluma where my brother had his business. But it'll eventually be at Lampson at some point.

Martt

I had one a for a while. 52 model I bought from a tobacco sprayer in KY. totally complete as an A model Sprayer. I did one mosquito spray job with it and realized I never wanted to spray in one so I sold it and we stripped everything out. would have been a great candidate for an original restoration.

Any chance you have any of those parts you stripped out. i have a 18A and thinking about putting back to original

FYI, Reiker makes a couple different sizes of slip/skid instruments. Their relatively small height allows you to mount them high on the panel where they’ll do the most good and not interfere with other instruments.

MTV

Almost a year and a half old post, but it made me look at Reiker.

On side note, SJ should write in a little script to the forum application to incorporate a "break-out-Thread" button in each post header, that would reply to a post in a completely new thread and topic.

I'd love to put one of each of these on a panel, and go fly and test/view the reactions on each. Only two are designated as "Aircraft", but is there really a difference?

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.46.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.46.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.50.13 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.46.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.46.07 AM.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 540
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.46.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.46.27 AM.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.50.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 9.50.13 AM.png
    213.9 KB · Views: 275
I know this is an old post, however I have a 58 PA18A that worked off floats in the 1960s. It had special tanks fitted on the floats and was used for stocking fish in lakes on Kodak Island.(Per log books) I cannot find any evidence that this cub I have ever worked as a spray plane.

I know this is an old post, however I have a 58 PA18A that worked off floats in the 1960s. It had special tanks fitted on the floats and was used for stocking fish in lakes on Kodak Island.(Per log books) I cannot find any evidence that this cub I have ever worked as a spray plane.

That's a pretty cool application for a Super Cub on floats!

Do you still have the hopper door in place?

I was just out in California where N9460D lives and I got a few hours in the air with her again. She's holding up well and my brother did all of his student and Private training in the Super Cub, as well as his Private check ride. He had soloed a Citabria 40 years ago but had not progressed past just a few hours back then, so it was almost like starting from scratch. He sure loves his Super Cub.

He switched to a lightweight alternator and starter, added a remote oil filter, changed to a Steve's gascolator, and added a rotating beacon and vg's. She's living a pretty easy life compared to the days of crop dusting in the 60's : )

Here are a couple pix from my trip out there:

N9460D Lampson 1 January 2022.jpg

N9460D Lampson 2 January 2022.jpg

Martt Marr and Dog.jpg

I had hoped to get to do more restoration work, but never got connected to another project, but I'm sure happy I got to do this one. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life restoring N9460D.

I do at least finally have an airplane of my own to fly... I bought this Baby Ace about a year ago. It was completed in 1993. I flew it to OSH this summer, and it was actually on the October Sport Aviation cover.

C92 11.7.21 1 adjusted 2000px.jpg

Martt Clupper
Warsaw, Indiana

Attachments

• N9460D Lampson 1 January 2022.jpg
    N9460D Lampson 1 January 2022.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 105
  • N9460D Lampson 2 January 2022.jpg
    N9460D Lampson 2 January 2022.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Martt Marr and Dog.jpg
    Martt Marr and Dog.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 100
  • C92 11.7.21 1 adjusted 2000px.jpg
    C92 11.7.21 1 adjusted 2000px.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 112

When I was working on Kodiak 1970-71 I vaguely recall a Cub with dual maybe tipover (?) tanks on top of the floats. MTV probably has better recall if that was the Cub you own. I assume they put fish (small to big) and then flew them to lakes. Maybe landed or just dropped them from the air. They stocked lakes with trout for sport fishing and also put Red Salmon in some with outlets to start a nursery then returning run of spawners.

Gary

When I was working on Kodiak 1970-71 I vaguely recall a Cub with dual maybe tipover (?) tanks on top of the floats. MTV probably has better recall if that was the Cub you own. I assume they put fish (small to big) and then flew them to lakes. Maybe landed or just dropped them from the air. They stocked lakes with trout for sport fishing and also put Red Salmon in some with outlets to start a nursery then returning run of spawners.

Gary
Would be great to see a picture…the paperwork states the pilot needed to land to release, most likely for inflight CG issues? I’ll check when I return home…

Dear Colleagues , I have been looking for my plane photographs and i come across with its

Would be great to see a picture…the paperwork states the pilot needed to land to release, most likely for inflight CG issues? I’ll check when I return home…
Dear Colleagues , I have been looking for my plane photographs and i come across with its “sister”
Those are the original painting from 1956 for a PA18A .
Amazing!

Attachments

• 03C81624-C6C7-49D1-B4FE-7265DABBAEFE.jpeg
    03C81624-C6C7-49D1-B4FE-7265DABBAEFE.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 86
Back