• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Sausage Casings

flagold

Abbeville, Alabama
[FONT=&quot]I'll admit I was pretty clueless on this until my brother in law educated me on this stuff (whatever it is). I would unwrap sometimes - sometimes not. Since looking into his claims, I'm fanatical about it now - I de-skin all commercial stuff (natural casings are rarer and rarer). The local home grown sausage maker doesn't order by the ton - the big commercial guys do - I've bought expensive, and cheap - the same stuff for these sausage casings. You guys doing your own game sausage are probably the last doing natural casings (as we all used to do). The 3 pound weight deal - it actually holds 5 but I couldn't get them to stack for the shot.[/FONT][FONT=Lucida Grande, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]<font color="#000000" face="Lucida Grande, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 12px;">

Appreciate the head's up. I knew something was up last time I wore out my jaw trying to eat some store-bought sausage.

Appreciate the head's up. I knew something was up last time I wore out my jaw trying to eat some store-bought sausage.

You're welcome. I wasn't fanatical about it until my BIL started unwrapping sausage I'd cooked. Thought he was crazy - but I'm unwrapping now with the same fanaticism.

You guys are funny. Eating commercial sausage and you’re worried about the casing? Hell, eat the casing and toss the stuffing! I don’t eat mystery meat but when I make sausage I use cellulose, and cut it off before eating.

I primarily use collagen casings but occasionally use hog casings for linked sausage. The collagen never seemed to have any real presence when it come to eating and I have never pealed a single inch of polish or dogs that I have made out of it. Hog casings have far more snap when eaten but I like them for linked products like the jalepeno cheese dogs that I make. If anything the collagen is too soft and lends itself to blow outs which can be quite frustrating. Maybe the process of water bathing after smoking helps the tension of the casings but the number one comment I get after the excellent taste is that they don't need to be pealed.

Stewarts comment about lending meat to a processor ring so true. I can't think of handing my good hard earned harvest to any processor.

Jerry

IMG_5585.jpgIMG_9849.jpgIMG_9846.JPGIMG_9830.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5585.jpg
    IMG_5585.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_9849.jpg
    IMG_9849.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_9846.JPG
    IMG_9846.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_9830.jpg
    IMG_9830.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 159
Everything I know about making sausage I learned from my wife’s surrogate grandma. She turned her nose up at all the natural casings we found in the valley. Maybe it was a bad week. Making sausage is fun.

We made it in the later '60's to mid '70's from wild game at Fett's Farm in Delta Junction Ak. Natural hog casings that needed cleaning of course. Slow smoked Sure-Mak old Wisconsin seasoning recipes. Love Post #5.

Gary

My mom wonders why I’m still single….
A7587E18-2449-4108-B672-A81888760C06.jpeg

Attachments

• A7587E18-2449-4108-B672-A81888760C06.jpeg
    A7587E18-2449-4108-B672-A81888760C06.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 148
..... Eating commercial sausage and you’re worried about the casing? Hell, eat the casing and toss the stuffing! .......

About 40 years ago, I worked on a construction project at the Farmer John plant in Vernon CA.
The smell was horrendous.
Carloads of pigs rolled in one end of the plant,
& carloads of bacon & sausage rolled out the other.
I don't think I ever saw a load of waste leave the plant.
Employees told me they used "everything but the squeal".

My mom wonders why I’m still single….
View attachment 58022

My wife was managing the housing at the University when I met her. Long before we dated, I was skinning and butchering a nice buck on the porch of my room, hanging from the roof post. One friend came running down to warn me that the "housing manager is coming" worried I would be in trouble.

I asked my then girlfriend to hand me my boning knife and cut out a nice hind quarter roast for her. She took pictures but had nothing negative to say!!

More than once we have had a fridge that looked like that since then! We have butchered a number of moose on her kitchen islands!

This created more buzz than I thought it would - that said, I don't know when that was written or who wrote it, but here is what can be bought by large commercial processors: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...0.7724857.normal_offer.d_title.5a9f5dd54UvrfR (just one selection out of many).

None of the little mom and pops or local sausage makers would order by the metric ton - not even a factor. All the sausage we made was natural hog casings but that was 50 years ago.

I guess the risks of eating suspect casings are like "edible" underwear: you have a decision to make.

Now it's got me thinking of the dangers of sausage packed in edible underwear.

Web

Since this started with removal of wrapping discussion, I will relate the sales slogan of the electrician when I was a kid: Hertz Electric- Let us remove your shorts.

Better than the slogan of the guys that offered to pick up your cargo in a Shorts Brothers airplane!

Web

Better than the slogan of the guys that offered to pick up your cargo in a Shorts Brothers airplane!

Web

A Skyvan? I didn't know there were any flying still. I picked up an AgCat in Salisbury MD (early 80's) to fly back to Fl and saw my first one with Garrett engines taxi by. Ear piercing.

Back