• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How to replace rear liner tube?

adamgrenda

King Salmon, AK
Done my research on here and the rear liner tube and it looks fairly straightforward. I have about 3/8” of liner tube showing on the right side rear tube where it connects the stab to fuse. I think some of this side to side movement (plus sloppy bushings in elevator) are what is causing my rudder pedals to shake in flight at cruise.

Can remove the right side only to pull tube out? Cub is 11 years old and has grease fitting. I think I can loosen tail wires on right side and take pic prior to get them back to where they were. Then remove bushing pins since I’ll be replacing those anyways. Then the front bolt and rear bolt and pull the right stab and elevator off? Then remove the rear liner tube bolt on left side and I’m praying tube will come out nice and easy.... reinstall new tube on the fuse w lots of grease. Drill hole in left side and put in bolt. Have a kid hold each side solid while I drill the new hole so there is no side to side play in stab.

any other tips?

I would recommend pulling both sides and both liner tubes and taking this opportunity to clean everything up and re-lubricate as well as making sure your flying wires are rigged correctly. As far as I know you can't just pull one side of the tail feathers to replace the liner tube. The drilling part is pretty critical and much easier to do with the tail completely off the plane. Here's the guide I used to do it.

https://www.cubclub.org/samples/web_cubdoctor.pdf

I have replaced a couple of stabilizers lately. I removed the 3/16" bolts holding the stab to the liner tubes on one side. Disconnect the elevator hinges, and hardware connecting the two elevators and rested the elevator on something the same height. Pull the loose stabilizer. Pull the offending rear liner tube, install the new one, install the stab and the tail brace wires. They will help hold the tension while drilling the new liner tube through the stabilizer.

When someone sticks a stick through a $350K FX3 they don't want it patched. ;)

I have replaced a couple of stabilizers lately. I removed the 3/16" bolts holding the stab to the liner tubes on one side. Disconnect the elevator hinges, and hardware connecting the two elevators and rested the elevator on something the same height. Pull the loose stabilizer. Pull the offending rear liner tube, install the new one, install the stab and the tail brace wires. They will help hold the tension while drilling the new liner tube through the stabilizer.

When someone sticks a stick through a $350K FX3 they don't want it patched. ;)

You’re gerund spoiled with new airplanes that parts come off of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re gerund spoiled with new airplanes that parts come off of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've worked on and for cheap bastards who have called me every name in the book and tried to cost me money. After 24.5 years of working for myself I have learned a thing or two not only about airplanes but also about customers. ;)

I'd like to schedule my cub for an annual Steve........I'll drop it off tomorrow..........can I pick up on Friday?

Sure, not sure which Friday know on you. It might take a while to make it legal. Rendezvous with the one coming down from the Chicago area for his yearly pilgrimage. Give you someone to fly with. 8)

Some folks just need pictures - and a logbook to sign.

I am with Steve - do it exactly the way he says.

By now all Cub owners have surely discovered that these things have to be assembled clean, shiny, and then greased. And a drop of oil at the junction every 25 hours . . .
One Super Cub a while back had to be sawed apart, and the stabs heated before those tubes would come out. Of course we were in the field with deadlines . . .

Back