• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Gallatin Field (BZN) Pilots Shelter?

JohnnyR

SPONSOR
AK, ME - what time of year is it?
Anyone camped there before? We're heading out to CO, WY & MT in mid-June, and I expect to overnight at BZN on June 29. Looking for info on what to expect for staying at the RAF Pilots Shelter near the hangars.
Thanks,
Johnny

Expect to be surprised. Best pilot shelter in the world.
Ok, maybe not the best in the world but world class.

There are not many air carrier airports with a grass runway and a pilot shelter inside the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
It is indeed a nice shelter. Showers/restrooms, grill, etc. Tiedowns are on grass. Only down side is there is a helicopter EMS outfit adjacent, so some chance of rotor wash....so just tie the plane down. But, the tiedown area is very sheltered.

Send me a PM and if I'm in town then, I'll hook up. Rental cars are available down the road a piece at the terminal as well.

KBZN is indeed a nice airport. If you have big tires, many of us forgo the use of the turf runway, which is a long taxi from the shelter and back hangars, and just land in the grass next to Runway 03. If you plan to do so, just inform tower you want to land in the grass next to 03. They'll inform you that landing there is at your own risk. They can't legally "clear you" to land there, but they have no problem with it. The shelter is a short taxi from there.

MTV

Where is it in the pic?

IMG_1051.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 465
Which section of grass next to Rwy 03 is used for landing?

Whatever section you like, just don't be stupid. Land just past the threshold taxiway on the left side, and you can roll right down to the fuel pit. Don't need fuel, a short landing short of that taxiway will then take you ( with a left turn) right to the shelter.

MTV

That sure is a nice shelter!
How does the BZN admin deal with overnighters in terms of badging, access to the shelter, etc.? I read there's a coded access gate near the shelter, but BZN's web page states all who have access to flight areas must have an airport badge.
Johnny

That sure is a nice shelter!
How does the BZN admin deal with overnighters in terms of badging, access to the shelter, etc.? I read there's a coded access gate near the shelter, but BZN's web page states all who have access to flight areas must have an airport badge.
Johnny

Visitors using that facility don't need a badge. Badges here are primarily used to open the gates. The coded gate is at the shelter, and space to park a car just outside the gate. It really is a pretty user friendly airport.

MTV

Just confirming that this was/is the nicest pilot shelter I’ve encountered. Beautiful building and much appreciated by my family last summer. Thanks to the local Bozeman pilots who made it happen!

Wow, I miss that place. I got my PPL there in the 80s when it was an uncontrolled but full-service airport/airline hub. Looks like it has only gotten better.

Back