• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Instruments for rear seat pax/pilot

giangab

Hello,
I wish to have basic instruments (asi, altimeter, compass and ball level) to allow the rear seat pax or pilot to fly the airplane.
Any suggestion in this tegard?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Not sure if I've ever seen them installed as dedicated rear seat instruments.

If you do decide to install them, find the smallest, lightest models available. I'd suggest the Winters instruments (see Wings & Wheels website) as they have 2 1/4" instruments that are built with plastic cases. Made for gliders, so they are the lightest instruments I've worked with. Another idea, if legal for your country, would be to find one of the digital units that combine the instrument functions into one unit. Not sure if that would way more or less than the individual instruments but a simplified installation.

Either way, you would need to run tubes for the pitot/static system and any wiring to the rear.

Another thought would be if you used one of the digital instruments up front, you could connect it to a simple display with a digital line such as RS-232 or ARINC 429. Any thoughts about this from you experimental guys?

Web

A friend of mine has small AS and altimeter installed in the right wing root, visible to the rear seat pilot. Great for instruction.

Thanks for these imputs.
I had the idea to have a small video cam to pick up the six pack instruments on the main panel and transmit by wify/ bluetooth to a 7 inch tablet attached on the top right corner of the windshield.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando SuperCub.Org

If you already have a tablet, just use any one of the flight apps to display the info?

KMMI-1920-Day-split-screen.jpg 17277e.jpg

Attachments

• KMMI-1920-Day-split-screen.jpg
    KMMI-1920-Day-split-screen.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 17277e.jpg
    17277e.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,544
Yep but that gives ground speed and not asi and inaccurate altitude.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando SuperCub.Org

We have limits as to what instruments would be legal to use on certified aircraft. Experimental aircraft have much looser regulations. What are the regulations for the equipment installed on your aircraft?

Web

Why? Over 100,000 pilots have learned to fly from the backseat of a J3. You don't need any instruments, you can look forward and "see" if the wings are level, your butt will tell you if your coordinated long before the ball will show you. And the feel of the stick will tell your flying speed. And you'll learn what it feels like to fly instead of what it looks like to fly.

Glenn

Well I tried a link but wasn't allowed. Google Belite instruments and bring up the combo of ASI, Rate of climb, and Alt.

I was thinking about one of these for the GIB, mostly my instructor for BFR and for passengers for general info and maybe "holding 'er steady" while I get a drink of water. I'm exp so no problem and the main lines from the wing to the front instruments are right in the left root, right where I would put it. Don't know if sharing the pitot/static lines would be a big no-no for certified. I think it can be wired in or use a 9 volt batt. The batt would clear one hurdle as far as trying to convince that it is informational rather than used as main instruments. If there is no one back or an uninterested passenger, don't turn it on and waste the batt. Probably not allowed for certified but sure fits my bill and weighs nearly nothing, takes up little space, and all the info I need. Add a simple ball and you're done.

My wife, who is not a pilot and is not really thrilled with flying, can fly my Decathlon from the back seat. She sort of figured out how to hold the wings level and aim at a point by looking out the windows. Instruments are over rated.

For a cross- country, I bolt a small GPS on to a RAM ball in the overhead tubes for her entertainment.

I think it is a great idea. like the others have said, you could mount a I-pad with Foreflight/synthetic vision on the back of the seat. That way even if the back seater is not flying you have a navigator. Put a airspeed on upper left side in the front. I use my gps for heading and attitude the synthetic vision will take care of that. The ball can go just about anywhere.
DENNY

I have flown over 200 kids between the age of 5 to 10 years old. 99% of them can fly the plane somewhat straight and level in less then 1 minute of simple instruction. " Look out front, if the horizon gets bigger pull the stick back a little, if it gets smaller relax the stick a little. If the wing falls lift it with the stick. I demonstrate it once, I can take a nap after that.

Glenn

Interesting device. Notice Bertarelli promoting that there are no wires and other devices on the glare shield all while he is riding as a passenger in a Bonanza with a device in his lap. Where does he place and secure his lap top device when he's flying his Cub? A good many instrument panels have no vacant space on which to place a hard mount for a portable device, such as in this Bonanza without blocking some windshield space. While this device appears to be an exceptional piece of equipment any discussion of the receiving device is sorely lacking and in my view should be addressed as I for one don't need a loose portable screen device bouncing around the cockpit.

I've been following this product for a couple years, talked with the Levil folks at Osh last year and saw it in person but I've not seen any installed. This would be cool for a simple, non electric experimental. The bom and an ipad, a combo engine gauge and your done. I'm building a Bearhawk LSA for a guy and tried to talk him into it but he's going G3X and autopilot instead.

Now that's interesting. Anyone seen one of these installed and working?

Web

That just might be the answer for my project, granted I am years away but they provide allot for the money.
You could just hard mount a large tablet on the panel and go flying. Easy when you are starting from scratch with nothing.

I intend to, but this might be a better feed to the tablet than a Stratux which would still require a few steam gauges. Once it is time for me to fit out the panel I doubt this will be my only option, but I am glad to see the market going this way.

Back