• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

If you go to the trooper dispatch

https://dailydispatch.dps.alaska.gov/Home/DisplayIncident?incidentNumber=AK22021704

and open the original photo,

https://dps.alaska.gov/getmedia/247df86c-312b-4e16-adcf-7eba7bb70df6/03052022-Iliamna-Crash-1.jpg

then zoom in, it looks like there is a rock island sticking up through the ice and there is a grey tarp on the island. That is my impression from the photo, anyway.

The ADN story has the photo already zoomed in:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/202...h-on-frozen-lake-iliamna-in-southwest-alaska/

From a text I got yesterday. 5 alive is pretty darn good.

Attachments

• 67F2AF05-ABE7-4E87-85FD-0BA29599EF25.jpeg
    67F2AF05-ABE7-4E87-85FD-0BA29599EF25.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 300
The rock island in the photos is not the big island on the map, but it must be nearby. Based solely on the appearance of the airplane and the lack of relevant accident tracks, it looks like the impact might have been directly into the rocks, with a debris field of pieces that came off and traveled over the snow. Amazing to have survivors if that is, in fact, what happened.

It appears they did the right thing and followed the north lake shore's terrain/vegetation...then turned south over the lake so close to the airport. Passing snow squall? I like to periodically look back from where I came when flying in flat light or with a featureless terrain like a lake nearby. If it closes in behind then the return options are reduced. There will be more why's from them soon enough.

Gary

The rock island in the photos is not the big island on the map, but it must be nearby. Based solely on the appearance of the airplane and the lack of relevant accident tracks, it looks like the impact might have been directly into the rocks, with a debris field of pieces that came off and traveled over the snow. Amazing to have survivors if that is, in fact, what happened.

That’s what looks to me as well. Might have slid into the snow, but hit the rock? Ouch, and agreed….amazing anyone survived.

Someone is living right.

MTV

"Ugly miserable bastard that nobody liked killed in plane crash". Why would that be an any less appropriate headline? Why would it be in any way less relevant to the circumstances of the accident? Is anyone keeping data on whether popular or unpopular people are more likely to be killed in flying accidents?

Sorry, but headlines like this give me the creeps.[

The loss of a fellow airman pains me deeply. Media headlines trouble you? Good God, Man…..you really need to find a cave and take up residence. Who cares?

A pilot, a genuinely adventurous young person, who devoted tremendous effort and expense to get into the seat of that Caravan has perished. God bless her, and I hope we are all devastated by her loss.

This is a forum for aviators. This young woman was one of us.

Please take your hatred of the media elsewhere.

MTV

For those interested in the circumstances of the BYI accident the track log can be seen here - https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N928JP
and the RNAV IAP can be found here - https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2203/00068R20.PDF

There appears to have been a late decision to fly the RNAV approach. The first attempt followed the published missed approach procedure. The second attempt seems to have ended at the accident site which is on the approach course and less than half mile from the runway threshold. The MDA for this IAP is 4560 ft.

Last edited:
Snowing again last night and right now, one of the longest "springtime" snow events (pretty much all week) I've seen in the last 45 years in SE Idaho. I can't imagine the pressure of being a working pilot trying to get freight delivered in conditions like these.

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2203/00068R20.PDF

There appears to have been a late decision to fly the RNAV approach. The first attempt followed the published missed approach procedure. The second attempt seems to have ended at the accident site which is on the approach course and less than half mile from the runway threshold. The MDA for this IAP is 4560 ft.

Perhaps not. Her route was TCH V101 BYI. Then end of V101 is MALTT. The ground track on FlightAware looks to me as if she flew to MALTT and then to the IAF at MUTOE. This doesn’t look like a late decision to fly the RNAV approach.

Perhaps not. Her route was TCH V101 BYI. Then end of V101 is MALTT. The ground track on FlightAware looks to me as if she flew to MALTT and then to the IAF at MUTOE. This doesn’t look like a late decision to fly the RNAV approach.

Yes, that fits. Thanks for the correction.

If you look at the kml file in Google earth, her approach was spot on the first time and she went missed at approximately 4375 msl.
Appears to be procedure on missed and second approach was virtually identical to the first except the last 3 pings were a touch lower than the first approach.
(The last ping was on the ground so you can’t count that as part of the glidepath)

A deeper comparison shows the rate of descent continues at a higher rate on the second approach.
First approach from 6125-4375’, vertical drops were 1000,1000,975,913,128. (I assume this is vertical difference between pings)
Second approach at roughly same point is 643, 984, 946, 663, 750, 857. I would disregard the last one as invalid, but you can see the trend of continuing down without change.

Weather was 2.5 in snow. Perhaps she broke out from the ovc and went visual. Hard to know.

Without intimate knowledge one theory might be she contacted one of the towers, silos, or wires in the flight path. Structures are very evident in Google earth leading up to the final location.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

If you zoom in on these two tower photos I believe you’ll see a difference. This is located on the building adjacent to the impact point.
IMG_9416.JPG
IMG_9417.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

Attachments

• IMG_9416.JPG
    IMG_9416.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_9417.JPG
    IMG_9417.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 187
Icing? Could have caused an event on the second approach. Just guessing, you guys know more then I will ever know

^^^^Note to self: Do not contaminate electronics. Soil yourself first. End of Message. Time for a 709 checkride?

Gary

Hmmm. A non-lethal, albeit expensive, oops about which a chuckle is not "sick" humor. :lol:
But I'll wager that stiffer language than "darn it" was employed!

This event made the ABC national news. A similar thing happened when I was instructing at Bayport on LI. There was a guy taking shots with a pellet gun. I think he hit my J3 once but couldn’t be positive because the divot was on the bottom of the elevator and could have been a rock that did it.

But then, the other instructor was landing in a 152 and heard the shot hit the plane. The guy lived in the last house at the threshold of 36. The instructor called on the Unicom and said “Andy just shot us”. Now the owner of the school was a guy who had given most of the aviation division cops their ratings. So one phone call resulted in five police cars and a Bell 407 showing up. That helicopter hovered in Andy’s back yard, then one side yard, then the other. I think it took him a week to find all his patio furniture. He stopped shooting. We could never prove it was him, but it was pretty clear it was.

Rich

This stuff does happen. I know of a helicopter that came back with an aluminum shaft arrow stuck in the tail boom. Scary, but a nice shot.

Web

This stuff does happen. I know of a helicopter that came back with an aluminum shaft arrow stuck in the tail boom. Scary, but a nice shot.

Web
Actually this guy Andy used to shoot arrows too, but never hit anything. We would find them on the field once in a while. Again, never had any proof but we were pretty sure.

Several years back a passenger in a 737 was hit in the leg by a bullet as the aircraft descended into Raleigh Durham airport in NC.

Just a couple days ago, a mile after takeoff and just a couple hundred feet up, on the mountainside I live on, I had to divert a bit to avoid flying over several parked pickups, turkey hunters. No use giving anyone ideas.

Back