• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mods

ridiculousness

I would like to get the new style fowler flaps installed on the cub wings I am taking apart to rebuild in the near future... probably next year all start lol. But I was curious if they are worth the price you pay for them. If you were rebuilding stock cub wings what mods would you put on them and why?

Definitely: -Dodge Hurricane tie-downs. A lot of security for not much cost and weight.
-Wig-Wag lighting system. Increased recognition and safety. Consider one in each wing to increase distance between lights. Others have
mounted to landing gear, which would greatly simplify things, but I think distance between the lights will get noticed better.
-Modern nav lights. Less current draw, bulbs less expensive, ability to add flash/strobe/etc. on wing tips.
-Univair stamped butt rib. Not really a mod, but a sturdy structure to glue fabric to and attach wing fairings.

Probably: -2000 gross weight increase. Likely increased resale appeal/value and utility.
-Dodge upper lift strut reinforcement. Likely need to replace bracket anyway after all these years. Need to examine existing brackets.

Maybe: -Dakota 24 gallon fuel tanks. Increases utility of plane and resale appeal. A lot would depend on condition of existing tanks. They're likely
50+ years old, depending on the age of your plane or last time wings rebuilt. Note, I put a 24 gallon tank in during my rebuild and have
not regretted it.

Jim

I would like to get the new style fowler flaps installed on the cub wings I am taking apart to rebuild in the near future... probably next year all start lol. But I was curious if they are worth the price you pay for them. If you were rebuilding stock cub wings what mods would you put on them and why?

Read this thread. The PStol flaps would be very high on my wing mods list for any Cub. I sure wouldn't trade mine for stock style flaps.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...or-the-PA-18&highlight=performance+stol+flaps

Last edited:
As addressed above, wiring for lights. Use LED nav and strobe combination lights. Much smaller wires than incandescent lights. Same with LED landing lights. Smaller wires means easier to install harness and lighter weight. Plus the reduced electrical load means smaller alternator required.

If you want to pulse the landing lights use a MaxPulse controller. Small, light, doesn't get hot, and simple to install.

Keep in mind that if you add other items such as remote magnetic sensor (flux valve), electric stall or AOA indicators, or pitot heat, be sure to get the wires/plumbing in place BEFORE the fabric goes on. Some of these items can go from and hour or two without fabric, to a day or two once the fabric is on.

Web

Square out the wing tip and extend ailerons to the end, helps plane fly slower and faster. Dakota cub tips great all around tip. Pstol flaps better vis over the nose, slower landing. Big tanks, I never seem to have enough fuel. Gross weight, just to be legal in case you crash. Univair rib on inside and tip, as noted above. What the people above recommended, because they are correct.
DENNY

Depends on ribs, type of splice, new spar, tip, how far out you go, etc. Looks like Dakota cub stock vs squared out wing is around 6-7 lb difference from some numbers Steve posted a while back.
DENNY

Look at the wing on the new 4 place cub, that is about as good as it gets for a certified cub.
DENNY

A new 4 place certified Cub? Link, please?

Not that I could afford one . . . I could probably afford a 180 Cessna.

Back